Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1715 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1715
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $25
Description: Very Flexible thin 144/440 HT whip
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1715

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1715.

K0JEG Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2014 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Can't get rid of it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not the best performer, but because it is super-fleible, it's a keeper. It seems like I manage to lose it every few years (it takes up almost no room in a moving box), buy another antenna that looks more interesting -the last one being a Diamond SRH320A, but really doesn't perform any better than the 1715 in the real world.

I use it with my DH-d72 for APRS tracking when hiking and biking. It won't get your signal out for hundreds of miles, but it also won't catch on tree branches or poke you in the side either. I recently picked up an Icom ID-51, and have been using it to connect to my DV access point, and can usually get 2 blocks or so away from the house and still connect (on 10mW). I can also receive a 70 cm Dstar repeater about 25 miles away, although I can't connect and didn't expect to.

Performs better than stock rubber ducky, certainly better than a "stubby," but it's still an HT antenna.

AK4TO Rating: 0/5 Aug 10, 2012 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Why did they make this?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having won my Yeasu FT-60RE in a contest, I was in a immediate rush to find a suitable antenna to replace the standard OEM rubber duck that comes with my newly won Yeasu. So, I saw the MFJ 1715S antenna in my local AES store and I bought it because it was a reasonablely priced. Unfortunately, this was a HUGE mistake on my part! When I got it home and screwed it onto my FT-60RE, I got NO reception inside my apartment, none at all! I know I am inside trying to use my HT and should'nt expect to be able to recieve a lot of range from my local repeaters, but I should at least be able to get a couple! So, I returned it back to AES and since I kept my reciept and that the guys who work there are awesome, I was able to return it and I decided to spend the extra $5 and get the Diamond SRH77CA, which I love!!

N5NLQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2010 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for everyday use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought a Yaesu VX-7R. The stock antenna is surprisingly good. However, I could only hit 2 repeaters from my house 15-20 miles away, one on 2M, the other on 70cm. Looked at several options (web research) and decided to give the MFJ at try.

I purchased the BNC version and use an SMA to BNC adapter from Diamond. I am really pleased with the antenna, as I can now hit all the local repeaters, both on 2M & 70cm. I even hit one about 50 miles away today on 70cm.

The antenna is very flexible, and with the BNC connector, is very easy to remove so I can connect my mobile 2M antenna in the truck

K2GW Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2007 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Pocket Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I replaced the rubber duck on my Kenwood F6 144/220/440 HT with this very thin and flexible whip about 3 years ago. It's only 12 1/2 inches long and can be bent 360 degrees. Because of its flexibility I never take it off; I just bend the antenna to put the HT in my briefcase. I suspect it's made out of piano wire.

There is a significant gain in performance on all 3 bands (even though it's not advertised for use on 220). It's available in both BNC and SMA flavors.

One modification I did was to dip the tip in liquid electrical tape a few times to make the end more "eye-friendly".

If you're still using a rubberduck wou'll be amazed at how much better your signal is with a resonant whip. The flexibility of this type of antenna gives you it without trading off much of the portability of a rubber duck.