Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-962C Versa Tuner III Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-962C Versa Tuner III
MFJ-962C Versa Tuner III Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $269.00
Description: 1500 Watt HF Manual Tuner
More info: http://www.mfj.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-962C Versa Tuner III.

KJ6ZH Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2015 21:42 Send this review to a friend
It Rocks!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my MFJ-962C in 1995 to go with an AL-811. Kept the tuner when I had to sell the station in a divorce in 2000 and am glad I did. After rebuilding my station over several years, the MFJ-962C was able to match everything within reason. A couple years ago I bought a 962D roller inductor thinking this was an improvement. Wrong answer sports fans! It worked OK but was a real pain to switch bands when that rare DX station showed up. The 962C was a simple matter of switching to pre-set values of inductance and capacitance and go transmit. The only issue I ever had was when I burned out the inductor switch by "Hot Switching" while putting 600 watts through it at 160 meters. OK, dumb move on my part but MFJ sent me a replacement switch at a reasonable price and I replaced it 10 years ago with no follow up issues. Will never sell this tuner.

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2015 06:48 Send this review to a friend
1.5KW  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this tuner for many years. I've tuned a couple of tactical systems from Alpha Antenna as well as a homemade Loop fed with twin lead. I push 1.5 KW through it without any issues. Would I buy it again? Yes, I bought one as a spare!

AC6BW Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2015 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tuner- Works fine after 20 years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this tuner for about 20 years, and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. It is well built and very reliable. It is built like a tank. I haven't had any problems with wear of the knobs. The tuning range is excellent. I typically run 700W from an AL-811H amp. This is an all-around excellent tuner. I am considering upgrading to an auto tuner, but I will always keep this tuner as a backup.

ZL1SW Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2014 13:38 Send this review to a friend
exl tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
hi all,well I have had this tuner for over 10 years now,and got it used. and most of the time with a amp on it ,AL80A and it has not had any prob's at all tuning any antenna I put on it ,,had the odd prob with knobs and stuff ,but it is getting on in age.

I HATE too say it but I brought a Palstar AT2K a month ago to what I thought was a upgrade ,,,,sorry Palstar it was a Down grade ,lucky I didn't sell this MFJ 962c I will keep it and sell the Palster , roller inductor's are crap just like the mfj 962d . wont tune any where near as good as the MFJ-962C I have put 900 watts CW though it but not for too long ..

LOOKING FOR ANOTHER ONE AS A SPEAR

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2014 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Solid / BIG / Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got it used on Ebay a couple of years ago. Did some re-soldering and changed out the chassis mounted SO-239's as they were giving intermittent issues. Change out incandescent to led meter illumination. Plan on some space if you get one, it's a min of 17" deep.

Rock solid since then with beam, hexbeam, verticals, ocfd all on 50 ohm coax up to about 800 watts so far. Not used yet with open or balanced wire.

G0PZA Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2013 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly nice !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tried the tuner with my PW1 for the first time today, although owned it for a while. Works great on 500W. Why am I using it with the ICOM you may ask? Because it's own auto ATU has gone faulty and they want to charge the price of a used PW 1 just to repair / replace the ATU.

Not sure if the 962C will handle the full 1000W from the PW1 on CW though......can anyone confirm this ? Thanks much.

WD8OSJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2012 08:27 Send this review to a friend
I have owned my tuner for 12 years   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have not had any trouble with my tuner. The lamp was a little bright in the shack here so I put a 150 ohm 1 watt resistor in line with it to dim it a little. Did the trick. Bought it for $50 at a estate sale, used.

K4CMD Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2012 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Well ... it *is* an MFJ product ... BUT ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
... BUT I agree -- an exception for MFJ!

I lucked out about 6 or 7 years ago at a hamfest. We had a vendor there that was a small commercial vendor that (unfortunately) was going out of business, and they came to the hamfest to liquidate the rest of their stock. Most of their stuff had been picked through by the time I got to their table, but there was a largish brown box (MFJ didn't use white back then) kind of tucked back behind some of the small accessories and I asked what it was. They identified it as a brand-new MFJ-962C, warning me that it was "new old stock" -- the 962D with the roller inductor had been out a year and was supposedly "improved" with the roller inductor.

I knew better, having sold an old 949E with a tapped inductor for a 969 Roller Inductor Tuner a few years earlier. The MFJ roller inductor tuner had a lot of problems with the roller never really making good contact with the inductor -- you could feel it when you turned the knob; it was very cheap and clunky feeling. Sure enough, the SWR would jump all over the place as you tried to zero in on a recorded setting. I hated the damned thing and just happened to be in the market for another tuner with a tapped inductor. I quickly checked out the tuner in an old QST laying nearby and then returned to the guy's table.

Turns out he was selling all of his stuff for 50 percent off. This 962C was still sealed in its box, and I wound up paying $125 for a $250 tuner.

Now, why did I title this review like I did? Well, I got home and found that like many MFJ products, this thing didn't sit squarely on the table. The (very long) case was warped. I loosened every screw, made sure the tuner was on a flat surface, and then retightened everything. Then it sat OK. Then I hooked it up and found that the SWR would jump if I rocked the left-hand capacitor's knob. I reopened the case to investigate and found that the nut holding the rear end of the capacitor to the case was barely screwed on. I tightened it up and checked everything else, which was good, because several other nuts were only finger-tight at best. Once I had all of this done, I carefully reassembled the case again and all was well.

This tuner has served me for more than half a decade with several radio and antenna combinations, and traveled to several Field Days, and it has performed amazingly well. I can return to my settings again and again and have a spot-on match with very little tweaking. I did perform one "major" modification; I purchased two small vernier drives and installed them on the front panel to turn the capacitors. Now I can tune in increments of 0 to 100 that take four full turns of the knob to turn each cap from fully meshed to open, and I love this tuner even more.

One complaint. The lamp blew out a couple of years ago, and it's a custom bulb soldered to pigtails. It took quite a bit of finagling to do, but I revamped the back of the meter to hold a socket from Radio Shack, so finally the bulb is replaceable. When it goes again I just might replace it with an LED. But I get miffed when incandescent bulbs, which blow out, are installed permanently in any gear. That's just plain stupid. And that, my friends, is why we have MFJ. :)

W0IW Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2012 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Awesome for a mfj  Time owned: more than 12 months
Can ya believe it a MFJ product that don't suck
somebody other than mfj must have made this puppy it actually is a great tuner 160-10m

I have to admit this is a keeper tuner and spite the fact mfj is stamped on it ignore that fact and buy one of these buggers you wont be disappointed

W5WAA Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2012 03:43 Send this review to a friend
One of MFJ's best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this tuner for years, no problems ever. I prefer the switched inductor over the rotary inductor that I owned on the model "D", this was a step backwards for MFJ. I've used the internal balun on several antenna projects, never ran over 500 watts through it. Does everything I want and is super reliable, the dual SWR backlighted meter is really nice.