Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ 962C Versa Tuner III Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 962C Versa Tuner III
MFJ 962C Versa Tuner III Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $269.00
Description: 1500 Watt HF Manual Tuner
More info: http://www.mfj.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ 962C Versa Tuner III.

N3TU Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2010 23:04 Send this review to a friend
Arching  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tuner is solid and works great on 100 watts. I've been using 100 watts for years. I bought it new when they first came out. Never had a problem but I never had an amplifier until this last year. When MFJ says 1500 watts they really mean 750 MFJ watts. It will arc over that but it could be old too. I now use a Dentron 3KW tuner and don't have any problems over 750 watts with it. I use this MFJ 962C on second 100 watt radio with a different antenna and works great.

AB4ZT Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2009 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Pretty solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this tuner for over 10 years and have not had any problems outside some front panel paint coming off around the antenna selector switch. I agree with other posters in preferring the tapped inductor to a roller inductor. I also used a Murch Ultimate Transmatch for a while (it has a roller inductor) and though it did work well it was a lot of extra time and effort when switching bands for really no benefit.

KA1YUW Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2007 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Owned this tuner for a week now and always get a 1:1 swr on any freq. Can't say that about the atr-15 i just bought. I'll give more review after I get more antennas up.

N6TZV Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2007 13:17 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performance!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unlike some folks, I have had generally good luck with MFJ products, especially the antenna analyzers and tuners. I have owned a few different MFJ and other tuners, both homebrew, and by Heath (2060A), Ten Tec, Tokyo High Power, LDG, etc.

I have owned the 962C for at least six years if not more, and have yet to find a substitute that works as well. It is efficient, tunes easily, matches a very wide range of impedances, and seems to work well on all the HF bands. It is more than adequate for medium power applications up to 800-1000W.

The metering is accurate enough for most purposes and tracks well with my Bird 43.

I especially like the tapped coil approach as opposed to the roller inductor. The tapped coil allows resetting to another band very quickly, without cranking the coil to get there. The roller coil approach theoretically allows finer tuning with more choices, but I have not felt limited by the switched inductor. I actually sold a Ten Tec roller tuner before I got the 962C. The tuner worked fine, but the roller just took too long to crank. It was faster than my current roller tuner.

I just recently acquired a very stout Heath 2060A, and in testing it, the issues with the roller were immediate. While the 2060A is more robust, and a find peice of equipment, it takes longer to get to a tuning for another band. Lots of cranking of the roller. I am using both together for two antennas, but really prefer the tapped coil of the 962C. I'll dedicate the 2060A to one antenna that doesn't need tuning as much, or needs the broader range.

I use the 962C primarily for a ladder line fed 102' HF diple or doublet. It tunes on all bands, but is a bit touchy on 30M, and very difficult to tune on 160M. But that is to be expected given the configuration of the antenna.

I have used this tuner on vertical dipoles, ground mounted dipoles, doublets, a three element trapped beam, and an experimental loop. Power level has been QRP to 700W. Never a problem with the 962C. While it is not rated at full legal limit, it also is not of the size of bigger, higher power tuners, so it is more friendly to available bench space. Internal components seem quite robust for this power and price level.

Bottom line, if you can find one that has not been abused (especially burnt switches), this is one solid performer that MFJ can be proud of. It is well worth looking for on the used market, and worth the trouble of fixing an abused one.

W6NFL Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2007 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Better than the newer ones  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had some real bummer MFJ products over the years but the 962C is not one of those bummers. Ive had this tuner for awhile now and i really do prefer the old school inductor selection over the roller inductor. I know alot of folks wont agree with me but thats just my preference. I run it with a Ameritron 811 amp it its just performs as it should. Very fast tuning once you figure and mark what letter of inductance for what band. No arcing and loads up the all band dipole without much effort. When this one dies, i will either fix it or look for another 962C.
I highly recommend this tuner and they go for a nice price used.