Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Military ME-165/G Power/SWR Monitor & Dummy Load Help

Reviews Summary for Military ME-165/G Power/SWR Monitor & Dummy Load
Military ME-165/G Power/SWR Monitor & Dummy Load Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Bunches of taxpayer dollars
Description: Combination SWR meter, Power Meter, and Dummy Load
More info: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pa0fri/Diversen/ME165G/me165eng.htm

You can write your own review of the Military ME-165/G Power/SWR Monitor & Dummy Load.

KD0JRG Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2011 12:02 Send this review to a friend
great value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After getting my 600 watt linear I started looking for a power meter/swr meter and a dummy load to handle the newly added power from 160 to 10 meters. Just about any new or recent build equipment required more dollars than I wanted to spend and looked, in my opinion, cheap.
I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered the ME-165/G. Not only could it meet the need but it was priced quite agreeably on ebay.
When I saw the unit up close for the first I was pleased to see that the power increments were marked in such way as to make it easy to use whether "barefoot" or with amplification. It did need a calibration but was that very straight forward.
During calibration I was referencing the schematic and discovered a feature not mentioned in the manual. In swr mode well over 99 percent of the power is being dissipated inside the unit. Now we have all heard other people tuning up and perhaps even interfering with others while doing so. But with this feature you can get your rig all tuned up while being a good neighbor at the same time!
And by the way, with the hearty size of that 12 resistor load bank in this unit you can take your time tuning and observing power or swr provided your exciter/amplifier is not over stressed with whatever you are doing. The manual says up to 10 minutes is acceptable.
Like most old military gear, this unit unit was built to last and perform well. Fortunately it seems under appreciated at this time which also makes it an excellent value!

PE1IOC Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2010 22:39 Send this review to a friend
It's a keeper !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Found this very usefull piece of equipment at a Hamradio fleamarket here in Holland.
Use it in combination with my 400 W, AN/GRC 106-G4 military transceiver who had his former live in the german 'Bundeswehr'
Discovered this meter was used with the '106' on You Tube by someone showing his GRC 122 commo shelter he had just bought!
The page of PAoFRI , mentioned in the header above and discribing the ME 165/G meter, was very usefull to me. Manuals can be found on Internet, no problem.
It's a keeper !

Tjerk
PE 1 IOC

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2007 15:38 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Typical, over-built Military item from the 50's, or so. I bet Uncle paid heavily for these. VERY useful yet today. Power/SWR meter is very close, and manual is available on line, if you want to calibrate it. Dummy load will take a KW with no sweat, if you add a small fan to the unit. Will probably still be working when I am an SK!!