Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | RigExpert Tiny Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert Tiny
RigExpert Tiny Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $115.
Description: Developed by the MixW team, the RigExpert Tiny is a revolutionary new sound card to transceiver interface. Combining complete functionality, simplicity of use, excellent design and low price, the RigExpert Tiny is perfect for all digital modes and CW/Phone. Models built for different transceivers like the Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood and Ten-Tec are now available.

In addition to a year of full warranty we offer our customers a 30-day money back guarantee (100% refund), if you don't like the product.

More info: http://www.rigexpert.net/main.html

You can write your own review of the RigExpert Tiny.

KD4WPC Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2010 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Stupid easy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my tinyrig off ebay used, just because it was made for the FT-817 and I want all the goodies for this rig...little did I know what I was getting.
This thing is so easy to set up its "stupid easy".
Just plug it in! The hard part is setting up the programs and that just takes time.
There are NO jumpers to jump or set... No switches to switch... just plug it in and set up the rigs menu's.
My dell 600m laptop has 2 usb ports...I run a 4 plug port expander in one and because the onboard keybord does not work, a external dell keyboard in the other with 2 usb ports on it.
Now the usb ports on this laptop are very easy to overload. I cant even add another usb drive without removing something or its overloaded...this thing pluged right into one of keyboards usb ports and ran like a scallded dawg!
I was up and running in a matter of mins with HRD. Echolink was set up and running in 5 mins.
I made my first psk contact within a hr of getting it. It just took me that long to set up the program having never seen it before.
I have no doubt that if I ever take the the entire setup portable, I wont have any problems with overloading the port and, I know I'll have a blast...not to mention the wow factor with a complete, nothing missing, I got everything you can get for it...yaesu FT-817.
I do recomend this unit for anyone thinking of getting into digi modes or wanting a interface.
Its just so stupid easy...

These are only made for certain rigs though...
I got the TTL-I-1 model and it fits these rigs...
Yaesu FT-100, FT-817, FT-857, FT-897
Check out the site to see if they make one for your rig.

73' Doc

WA5TLP Rating: 4/5 Nov 22, 2009 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Good Unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am only using the CI-V portion of the new to me
Tiny interface. I am not the most computer savvy.

As a result I had to swap email with Yuri two times.
He is a very long suffering fellow. The interface is up and running. Doing all the things it should do.

I am back to hunting DX on PSK Thanks very much for a good product. The 4 rating is because of me not using the full capacity of the unit.

VK1KLW Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2007 23:47 Send this review to a friend
A simple well built interface  Time owned: more than 12 months
RigExpert Tiny is a simple Soundcard-to-Radio interface. CAT support is provided by inbuilt USB-to-serial converters.

I prefer this sort of interface as just about every PC has an inbuilt soundcard these days. Serial ports on laptops are also getting rarer. There are no knobs to twiddle (or bump) on the RigExpert Tiny, so it is OK for it just to dangle behind the radio and PC just like any other cable.

VE3OIJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2007 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent little device  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this for portable work now. Works well. However, if you use it with Vista Ultimate, you don't have the computer controls over the sound card that you would with, say XP Pro. That makes it a bit harder to use with Vista.

Used it daily for over a year, replaced it with the RigExpert Plus for home use and put this one in my portable station box.

VE3ZPD Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2007 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Fast and Easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my Tiny working the same day I received it with no problems. I guess it comes now with newer installation CD, at least the prosedure of 2 VCP drivers installation was a matter of few mouse clicks. Had my FT1000MP Mark V running with Tiny in no time. Fair product for its price.

WD5EAE Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2007 22:51 Send this review to a friend
Economical Rig Interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like others I had to manually install the drivers. No big deal. I pointed the Windows hardware wizard to the c:\program files\mixw[whatever]\drivers directory and drivers installed no problem. Audio instantly appeared in waterfall for MixW. Transmit did not work on first attempt (no power out) so I displayed input and output volume controls, unmuted one of them that was muted by default, then lowered the input level so that the ALC level was correct for my rig, and it worked great. -Very- easy to use. I am using my RigExpert Tiny in a mobile installation with a laptop. If you have just a little computer competency and are willing to manually fiddle with the settings (what doesn't require that these days?), getting this to work should be no problem. I'd recommend the product and buy another one for sure if I had a need. Yuri has been quick to respond via email as well.

KF2GQ Rating: 1/5 Feb 13, 2007 13:58 Send this review to a friend
waste of money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It stopped working after 199 digital contacts.

VE3XEJ Rating: 4/5 Sep 22, 2006 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Hints for FT-897  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I connected it up yesterday and it worked great once I got through manually installing the drivers. The instructions are correct and work, and I would have rated the product a 5 if it came with a proper installer to pre-install the USB driver instead of having to go in and manually install them.

One critical note for Yaesu FT-897 owners:

By default, when sending CW, MixW triggers the PTT line into the data jack and keys the CW into the CW jack.

The FT-897 does NOT like this and sends a constant carrier rather than CW.

To send CW, disable PTT in the CW mode-specific settings, and configure your 897 to use break in. MixW will then just key via the CW jack and your 897 will automatically switch to transmit.

RTTY was great -- had it working in a few minutes.

VE1DHD Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2006 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Kenwood TS-850s and was using the Kenwood IF-232c interface through the one serial port on my laptop to control the radio. Last winter I purchased a RigBlaster Plus but found that it could not be controlled using the USB to serial converter that I purchased at the time. I therefore had to make a decision – rig control or use the RigBlaster for voice keying and digital mode operation. With reluctance I opted for the latter, but have greatly missed the ability to control my rig from the computer, especially when contesting.

Then this month I noticed a review of the RigExpert product line in The Canadian Amateur radio magazine and my interest was perked. I emailed Yuri (VE3DZ) in Toronto and quickly determined that for me, the “RigExpert Tiny” was the most economical way to solve my problem and get my rig back under computer control. The Tiny – in size only – basically replaces my old Kenwood IF-232c interface and the RigBlaster by providing rig control through my radio’s serial port, as well as PTT control and computer sound card interfacing to allow for voice keying and digital mode operation. It does all of this through the USB port on my laptop leaving the laptop serial port free for other use. I could not be happier. Was the installation without problems? Basically yes. There was one small hitch that related more to my lack of understanding of computer drivers, along with the rather incomplete instructions that came with my hardware, but Yuri responded to my email within a few hours and set me in the right direction. From that point on it was smooth sailing and the RigExpert Tiny works very well. As I say, I could not be happier both with the product and with the support received from Yuri. I would recommend this product to anyone who might ask.

Howard – VE1DHD
Seabright, Nova Scotia

VE3OSY Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2005 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Unit, Documentation Fair  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this unit to see what all the talk of the new Digital modes was all about.

I am using a IC-703 and dipole at 40 Ft. Using 5 watts I been working South Africa, Europe, North & South American Stations with ease on PSK.

Unit installation of the RigExpert Tiny was simple as plugging in the cables which were all clearly identified.

One USB and a Line Out and Mic Input to the PC.

At the Icom Rig the connections were made for Keyer input, CI-V input, and Accessory connector.

The Tiny is priced about one half of the Standard unit, and requires the computers Sound Card to operate. The Standard unit has all the sound interfaces built in and only requires a USB connection to the PC.

The unit came with a time limited Demo MixW Software and Digipan.

The MixW software is clearly the best suited for use with the RigExpert unit, but I had to goto the MixW web site, and the Yahoo MixW Forums to help get the configuration settings finalized.

Once done the rest was fairly straight forward.

I would suggest you do some research on the setup of the Software and join the Yahoo Message Forums for the MixW software, There is alot of expertice already out there and can make the setup alot easier for you.

If there is one downside to the Tiny is more to do with the changing of the Sound Card setup, As I have to switch from a USB Headset which I usually use to the Built in Sound Card to drive the RigExpert. Audio from the Digital Modes is heard through the PC Sound System.

I would definitley recommend this unit if your looking to save some money from the Standard Unit, I am considering upgrading to the full unit to simplify the Sound Card settings, but for the price it is a great unit.