Reviews Categories | Batteries & Chargers for amateur radios. | MAHA Energy MH-C9000 Charger-Analyzer Help

Reviews Summary for MAHA Energy MH-C9000 Charger-Analyzer
MAHA Energy MH-C9000 Charger-Analyzer Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: Charger-Analyzer for NiMh and NiCD AA and AAA batteries
More info: http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewitem.asp?idproduct=423

You can write your own review of the MAHA Energy MH-C9000 Charger-Analyzer.

LISTENER007 Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2015 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Great analyzer/charger...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Originally I was going to buy a La Crosse charger but by the time I made up my mind, somebody beat me to it (online auction). That "might" have been a blessing in disguise, I guess I'll never truly know, but that lead me to buy the Maha MH-C9000 and to be honest, I haven't looked back. As a rule, I DON'T use the C9000 to do ordinary day to day charging. I use mostly Sanyo rechargeable batteries nowadays - Eneloops 2000's (white) and the new 2500's (black) and quite a few ordinary Sanyo 2700's and for these I use the standard Sanyo slow charger. This charger does a good job as I have been using this combination for many years and have never had to replace a single battery. I've had some of the 2700's for about 6 or 7 years now and they are still going strong. Every now and then though, I put these 2700's through the MH-C9000 to refresh them and it seems to do a good job here. It has also brought back quite a few older Energizer's, seemingly dead, and I can't say enough about this as they are working just fine now. They are a somewhat limited battery - actually, they are not that good, but as long as you use them for the right purpose, they are ok. For most of my "first use" batteries, I put them through the C9000 and let it break them in and from here I have my set routines in charging. Any non Sanyo batteries get charged in the C9000 and it does a great job with them...

Some people see having to key in so many buttons on the C9000 to set and forget it, as being a shortcoming of the thing. I see it as a great feature, completely user/custom programmable. If you know just what settings you need or want in a charger then this feature and the Maha MH-C9000 surely has to be the ultimate charger...

It always pays to charge NiMH's at the known best rate of 1/10th of the batteries output in ma, over 14 - 16 hours, if you want the best overall life from them. From here, if you charge them at twice the rate, you'll get half the life and so on etc, so this rules out fast and/or rapid chargers for me, especially these 1 hour jobs. That must all but kill most batteries very quickly. There are plenty of them around and many of them look cheap and nasty and are priced accordingly. Stay away from them. If you are ever going to fast charge, at least get a charger that is more likely to do the job correctly, like the La Crosse's and the MH-C9000's of the world, and stay away from the chargers that cost a quarter of the price (unless they are proven to work well)...

Pay the extra and DO IT PROPERLY...!!!

VE7WV Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2013 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Long time C9000 user managing 100's of cells  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the C-9000 to manage a fleet of more than 200 AA and AAA cells for our busy family. In combination with Sanyo Eneloops (or the "Duraloop" Duracells made by Sanyo at one point for Duracell) this is the perfect charger for the job.

Hundreds and hundreds of charging / recycling / break-in procedures later and the charger is going strong with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I rotate all my cells through a recycle or break-in period every six months or so or as needed and the C-9000 brings the cells back to or near original capacity.

Now several years in I'm finding that the Sanyo Eneloops are holding up better than advertised, on balance. I've also got a smaller collection of MAHA's own Imedion cells but I tend to prefer the Eneloops for high drain devices like powerful flashlights / cycling lighting and such.

There's only one thing I'd change about it -- it'd be great if the firmware allowed for a way to clone the settings of one bank to the next when doing a charging session. I'd love that for doing maintenance on smaller capacity 800mAh AAA cells; the defaults are plenty useful for 2000 - 2400 mAh AA cells.

That little wish-list item not withstanding I'd recommend the charger, and the company as they truly do stand behind their product, without reservation to anyone managing more than a small handful of cells.

RWHAROLD Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2013 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Best all around charger. Improved version. Better than La Cross  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did a lot of research on AA/AAA battery chargers before I made this purchase. I read NLee the Engineer's review on Amazon and several reviews on Candle Power Forums to get the very best advice. I narrowed down the choice between the La Crosse BC 700/1000 and The Maha Powerx C9000 chargers. Almost all the reviews that I read recommended the Maha Powerex C9000 over the La Crosse models. I had questions about each model so I tried to telephone Technical Support at each company. I had no luck what-so-ever with the La Crosse Company. The telephone was answered by a recording saying that Technical Support was busy and asked to leave a message and they would call me back. I tried calling La Crosse three separate times on different days and always got the same recording and NEVER recieved a call back. Then, I tried to call the Maha Energy Company and got through to a live Technical Support person on the very first attempt. I called them several times because I kept having new questions. I got through each time with no delays or recordings. The other deciding factors were the comments about the La Crosse failure rate and having only a one year warranty. The Maha Powerex C9000 comes with a three year warranty and has a more rugged design! After weeks of research, I finally decided to purchase the Maha Powerex C9000. It just arrived yesterday. The first thing I noticed is that it is not as "HUGE" as some reviewers have commented. It's just the right size leaving plenty of room between the batteries for effecient cooling. I first tried to do a Break-In (charge/discharge/charge) cycle on some discharged eight year old Radio Shack 2000 mA NiMH batteries. The charger just would not charge or break them in. The screen went blank and the display went from Break-In back to Charge with nothing happening. I got the same result on all 4 cells. I immediately called Maha and the Technical Support agent told me that my batteries were bad and could not be recharged or broken in by the C9000. The strange thing is that the batteries are used in my fire/police radio scanner which has a 9 V 300 mA power supply/charger which continues to charge my batteries without any problems. I guess there must be some type of defect in the batteries, but they still work! At the same time that I made my purchase of of the C9000, I also bought a 10 pack of the highly rated, new 1500 cycle 2000 mA LSD Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries. After reading the well written instructions on the C9000, I decided to run the new Eneloops through the Break-in cycle as recommended for new batteries. IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure to FIRST run a DISCHARGE cycle at 500 mA BEFORE a Break-in cycle to avoid over charging 2000 mAH batteries. The manual does NOT mention this critical step, but it's necessary according to the experts at Candle Power Forums and NLee the Engineer. The first thing that I noticed was how very easy it was to program the four separate slots of the charger. Just a few button presses to choose the 2000 mA rating of the Eneloops and that was it. I repeated the process for each slot. Definitely not as hard to program as some reviewers have stated. One thing to remember is that even a brief electrical power interruption will cause the charger to reset to the defaut setting of Charge at 1000 mA. So it's highly recommended to plug the charger into a UPS to prevent any resetting of the charger. I checked the bottom of my charger and noticed that I have production lot number 0L0HA. This must be the very latest version because I noticed a major change in the charger's operation. It no longer makes a high pitched sound when charging as some reviewers have stated. It's totally silent! Yes, the display is bright which makes it easy to read and it makes a good night light for my bedroom. I am thoroughly satisfied with my decision to purchase the C9000. It's a remarakable, well built, and effecient charger. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to purchase the very BEST charger on the market.

SQ5OLD Rating: 4/5 Apr 9, 2012 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Very useful, but use with an UPS  Time owned: more than 12 months
Overall it is a very good charger with one potential issue: it defaults to 1000mA charge mode after a power spike. The charger also can not distinguish AA from AAA by its size (e.g. based on connectors used.)
I have damaged my AAA cells that were supposed to be recycled with low current over 48h, but an AC power outage reset the CPU which then applied a rapid 1A charge cycle, suitable for the bigger cells.

KI6DCB Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2011 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Mandatory  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one of these for more than two years, now, and it is one of the most sophisticated chargers available. The "wall wart" power supply included with the unit is probably over-engineered for this application, but that's OK. Most of the battery-powered devices in my home are powered by AA and AAA cells, and this charger keeps everything going. It has even restored some cells which would not charge in other devices.

There are a few features which I have not yet used, but I am especially pleased with the charger's ability to let me choose discharge and charging rates for various cell capacities and chemistries. This little charger will be the "go-to" device in your home/shack. I got mine -- NEW -- on eBay for less than forty bucks, and it has easily saved me that much money with its ability to resurrect old, "dead" cells. I can't recommend this charger highly enough.

BPONG Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2010 16:04 Send this review to a friend
good not great ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
don't get me wrong.
in terms of its charging and discharging capabilities, its definitely a 5.
i have owned 2 units; 1st one 3 years, 2nd, only 1 year. the 2nd units lcd screen decided to go gaga after the 1st year. that pee'd me off.
its a great charger EXCEPT that i question its build quality. my first purchased unit has stood up so far. but i hesitate now to purchase another 2nd backup unit just in case i get another turkey. i have since that gaga incident, added the MH-C808M to my collection of chargers cause i purchased some nice high capacity D NiMH (accupower and mahas) for a capacitor tuner drive project i am working on. thats an excellent charger for my use as well but i will keep that for another review.

to conclude, the wizard is a great AAA/AA charger,discharger, and analyser. it would be nice if they could maintain a consistent and high degree of quality in its manufacture. that would have prompted me to give it a 5, but because of my experience with my 2nd unit, i give it a 4...

73's, VA3BPO

KD6WKX Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 2009 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Died after 9 months  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I really like the charger and bought it because I wanted something more sophisticated and capable of running from 12volts. I wasn't disappointed. The only problem is that the unit I had slowly died after nine months of use. The display for two of the slots started to display a charging current when empty and then a month later the remaining two stopped charging at all.

The good news is that I contacted MAHA Energy and they sent me a replacement immediately via UPS. I put the bad unit in the box and sent it back with the return label they provided. The new unit seems to be working correctly.

AB5N Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2009 10:54 Send this review to a friend
This a Battery Laboratory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am thrilled with the MH-C9000. It exceeded my expectations - even at this price. It is built far better than ALL other chargers I have used. It is basically a battery laboratory. It is four fully independent chargers. The batteries snap-in with authority and you then decide what you want to do with that battery. I was able to revive and rate all the AA/AAA batteries I own. Each battery now has its own exact MaH rating written on it's side.
The display is superb..and backlit white.
If you have a pile of AA/AAA batteries you use in several devices, don't hesitate - get it and KNOW what your batteries are capable of.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2008 05:08 Send this review to a friend
great charger  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hard to program but works very well, Surprisingly it revived 2 AA nimh cells that were goners, couldn't hold a charge. Now they work fine. The amp hour capacity function shows how much battery mfrs lie. My 2 week old Eveready 2650 mah cells tested at 2100. My Hybrio 2000 mah cells tested at 1550, etc. The only honest ratings I found were on some Lenmar batts.

N4DBC Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2008 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised..so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had bought a set of 4 NiMH AA batteries a few months ago, but they just didn't seem to hold a charge. After charging them on an 'el-cheapo' charger, they would never power up in my digital camera.

I read 1.3 or 1.4 volts on most of them with an old voltmeter, so I really couldn't tell if they were all bad, or just one.

I put them into the MAHA Energy MH-C9000 Charger-Analyzer (on the 'long' cycle). I came back about 2 days later, and checked the analysis of the batteries, and they looked good. I put them in my old Rat Shack SW radio, and they are playing fine. The camera had another set of batteries in it, so I'll try these specific batteries in it later.

I took some old 'blue-gold' Energizer NiMH that I'd pretty much given up on. After 'restoring' them, 3 of the 4 now appear to be useful again.

I've got quite a few old AAA NiMH's too, so I'll probably try to restore them in the next few weeks.

The good thing is, that you can actually tell the condition of each battery. That way, you can dispose of any that are really worn out, yet save some that the old chargers couldn't save.

I'll try to review again after 6 months, but for now this gets a "5".

73, Dave