Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Ham Key Iambic paddle Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Key Iambic paddle
Ham Key Iambic paddle Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Ham Radio Center St Louis, MO

You can write your own review of the Ham Key Iambic paddle.

NY7Q Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2013 05:42 Send this review to a friend
IT'S A KEY!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
SURE LOOKS LIKE A KEY WITH PADDLE LIKE FINGER PIECES.

K4TIN Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2013 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
Others have pointed out it's low cost and utility, and they are quite right. I like the spacing between the finger pieces. They're inside the levers, placing them close together. Seems to fit me best.

AA3K Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2011 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Gets the job done  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked this up over 10 years ago but don't use it a lot. I actually let the computer or rig's memory send most of the CW I do. It is not a high end key but I assume the origianl price - and definitely what I paid for it - reflect that. Some vertical slop in the arms since the hinges are stampped to fit around a post. The base slides though that may be a function of the rubber feet having dried up a bit. But it holds its settings and gets the rig to send dots and dashes when I ask it to.

XE1UFO Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2009 08:53 Send this review to a friend
GREAT KEY  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great little key, and can still be found from time to time in the flea markets. Easy to adjust, great feel.

W4UTI Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2009 11:55 Send this review to a friend
So nice! So inexpensive  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know! I know! It isn't expensive, and parts of it are made of plastic, but it works GREAT! Smooth, stable, and easily adjustable. Yes, if you hit it hard enough, it will move on the table, but if you want to hit something, get a punching bag. This will let you send nice CW with a light, finger-tip touch. Before you spend hundreds of dollars on a set of paddles, check this model.

NZ0T Rating: 4/5 Jan 28, 2009 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Good paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first paddle bought in the early 80's. It holds it's settings well and is well made. It's not nearly as smooth as my Bencher or Black Widow but works fine for me at my usual 20 - 25 WPM.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2007 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Works Great !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I brought mine from ebay can't remember how much i gave for,but it really works great for me.but too lazy to do cw plus i'm so rusty need to go back do more code ! or i'll stay rusty forever hihi !! other than that works i hopeing for....

Jackie
KG4ORX
WEBSITE http://webpages.charter.net/kg4orx/

W0CKI Rating: 4/5 Oct 21, 2007 13:50 Send this review to a friend
I keep going back  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have tried others but keep going back to the Ham Key. I bought it new,how many years ago, I can't remember. Still works great.

W2AFD Rating: 4/5 Oct 21, 2007 11:06 Send this review to a friend
A fine old paddle...  Time owned: more than 12 months
While contemplating the purchase of a K8RA P2, I was surprised to see that there have been no reviews of this still very popular key made by the Ham Radio Center of St. Louis, Mo. on Eham. These once very popular keys are considered to be a poor man’s version of the famous Brown Bros. keys.

Manufactured for a few years in the 1970’s, the HamKey most often sells for more now than when it was new. Purists may scoff at this fine old paddle, but it remains quite usable even today. Constructed on a more than adequate metal base, the key housing is made of a durable red plastic, with chromed metal parts. Well, maybe not chrome, but polished and shiny. No fancy jeweled bearings for this key, making this a very basic iambic keyer paddle.

For some reason, the adjustments remain true for long periods of time, and although it doesn’t have the smoothest feel, there is a certain “comfortable” feeling I get when using it. It remains a favorite of mine for good reasons. At age 35, my HamKey is still going strong and is sure to be around (and working) long after I’m gone. A very desirable model for some, is the “combo” model of iambic paddle and straight key on a common base.

I have 2 of the iambic models, one purchased for $20 at a hamfest, the other for $40 on Ebay. I have seen the combo model sold for $85. (And more!) The combo model has the iambic paddle, and a straight key on the same metal base.