Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-4A Help

Reviews Summary for N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-4A
N3ZN KEYS Model  ZN-4A Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $165.00
Description: Iambic paddle, ball bearings, magnetic lever return, short lightweight arms, ideal for QRQ operation
More info: http://www.n3znkeys.com

You can write your own review of the N3ZN KEYS Model ZN-4A.

K7JAL Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2008 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Best key made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got Begali Sculpture this week. I expected it to be the best key that I have ever used. Not so. This NZ-4A that I got from N3ZN Keys is far better for doing QSQ. The spacing between the contacts can be set much closer with the NZ-4A than with the Begali. The NZ-4A stays put better than the Begali. The adjusting screws are tighter and the foot print is about 2/3's the size of the Begali. The NZ-4Z is the one that is still attached to the radio, and will be the one that I take with me in the RV. Maybe I'll buy another for The RV, and one for the vehicle for mobile use. I will definitely own more of the N3ZN keys.

Now don't get me wrong here. The Begali key is a beautiful and wonderful key. It works better than most of the keys I own. I still like my Schurr keys. The reason I used the Begali Sculpture for a reference point is because it has the reputation of being the best key made. In my opinion the N3ZN Keys are the best. I do not know Tony or anyone at the N3ZN site, but I will say that whom ever does the machining on the N3ZN keys is one of the best.

AB1CW Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2007 09:42 Send this review to a friend
A Keeper!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the ZN-4A after reading the reviews and looking at Tony's website. I've been playing with CW for 46 years.

I ordered the paddle, and it was shipped priority mail. It arrived extremely well packaged, and I was impressed by the evident care that was taken to make sure it arrived in excellent shape. It comes complete with an attached cord with a 1/8th stereo jack (the ziplock bag was a nice touch). I plugged it into my Omni 7 (the jack was wired correctly and no changes were necessary)), and was delighted with the results. The paddle is very precise, and Tony set the spacing very close (I haven't adjusted the spacing).

I have experience with higher end paddles like the Schurr Profi 2, and this one is certainly up in that category. The adjustments are very straight forward, so lengthly instructions are not necessary. N3ZN is so sure you will be happy with his paddles, he offers a 30 day money back guarantee. Well, he won't see mine returned either (as noted in another review). I spent 10 hours or so participating in the RAC CW contest, and the paddle performed flawlessly. No need to re-adjust anything.

If you are looking for a custom made paddle designed for QRQ operation, then I can highly recommend this one. As most avid CW Ops know, paddles are very personal decisions, and opinions vary widely .

I hope you found this review helpful. 73s AB1CW

K7JAL Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2007 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a key collector. I have several GHD keys and Schurr keys. Schurr are my favorite. I haven't had the ZN-4A but a couple of weeks, and I am overly impressed. It has a small foot print, but is heavy, and has 4 soft feet to keep it from moving. Even if you like to slap your key this baby will stay put. The contacts on this thing can be set so close it is like there is no gap between the contacts, for a light touch. The ZN-4A is quickly becoming my favorite key. The only thing about it is the finger pieces are wider than I like, but it is just a matter of a little practice on my part before I have it down pat. In the mean time there may be an extra dot or dash. This key is very easy to use at 30+ WPM. I love this key.

K7QO Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2007 17:48 Send this review to a friend
ZN-4A is a great paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
October 29, 2007. Received the ZN-4A paddle from
Tony via USPS Priority Mail. It was well packaged
and insured just in case.

When Tony asked how I like my spacing I said very
very close. And that is how it arrived, with a
very close spacing setup and a light touch. He
is obviously a user of paddles as well as a machinist who designs them.

I gave him a 5.0/5 rating because that is what I
feel the paddle deserves. Absolutely a joy to
operate. I immediately hooked it up to a N0XAS
PicoKeyer as the ZN-4A came with cable hooked
up with 3.5mm (1/8") plug with dit connected
to the 'tip'. The paddle worked flawlessly and
even with my years of experience it felt like
the finger pieces didn't move!! As nice a touch
as even the most expensive paddles.

Enough of this review. I'm going to the rig
and operate.

BNCU dit dit

Chuck K7QO

AA4MC Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2007 10:32 Send this review to a friend
great key....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
this is my fourth key from Tony. i have a schurr profi , and many others, but his are the best for me. try one, you'll like it!

KB7JTZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2007 23:28 Send this review to a friend
My best first iambic key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, well I did have an MFJ iambic paddle about 10 years ago; I never got around to really using it; but I remeber that it never felt as solid as Tony's key. After several moves, I ended up losing the MFJ key... oh well.

Tony was very fast in getting this key assembled, and shipped out to me. I cannot complain about the price. When I was pricing out equivalant keys, I found that they were much higher in price!

The quality and workmanship of this key is top notch! The other thing that sets this key appart from the others is the fact that it is custom made. There is somthing to be said for a paddle that is made specifically for you. I loved the personal touch that went into the creation of this work of art!

I'm giving Tony a "5-Great" rating for the personal craftsmanship, low price, and stellar customer service.

Keep up the good work, Tony!

Sterling Lombard
Phoenix, AZ
de KB7JTZ

AA4MC Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2007 10:14 Send this review to a friend
great key....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
tony's keys are the best i have used. i have three of his now and have ordered a fourth.most of my keys will be going up for sale now.Tony is also a great guy to do business with. the key and Tony are both " top notch".

N6NKN Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2007 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Diminutive Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Upon first inspection I was surprised by the small size of this paddle. It looked much larger in the pictures. But, as they say, good things come in small packages. That is certainly the case with the ZN-4A. It is obviously built to exacting standards. The quality shows all the way to the mounting hardware for the feet. It is sheer pleasure to operate, and the adjustments for the contacts and the paddles are very precise. N3ZN puts his call on every paddle, and he should be justifiably proud of his work. Each paddle has a 30 day full refund, but Tony will never see mine again. It's a keeper, and I will spend many happy hours with it for years to come. Very good things really do come in small packages.

Thanks N3ZN de N6NKN