Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | Bird Model 74 Coaxwitch Help

Reviews Summary for Bird Model 74 Coaxwitch
Bird Model 74 Coaxwitch Reviews: 12 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$500.00
Description: Bird's Coaxwitch® Coaxial Selector Switches employ a unique, rugged and reliable design which permits positive contact, low insertion VSWR and negligible cross talk between channels. The switching mechanism is 4 1/2" of RG-87/U Teflon cable which is pulled away from the mating Male N connectors and rotated to the desired switch position
Frequency VSWR Loss (dB) Max RF Power Rating (Watts)
100 MHz - 0.02 850W
1 GHz 1.06 0.09 200W
4 GHz 1.3 0.22 75w
Ambient Temperature: -60°C to +65°C (-76°F to +149°F)
Attenuation to: Unused Channel: 75 dB (cross talk)
Coaxial Circuits: 2
Frequency Range: DC to 10 GHz
Maximum RF Voltage: 500 Volts RMS
Positions: 2
Weight: Approx. 2 1/2 lbs. (1.1 kg)

You can write your own review of the Bird Model 74 Coaxwitch.

KA2LIM Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2015 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Best ever made  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nothing else, that is made today, is worthy to be compared to these switches. They "are" the standard.
Used in our VHF/UHF contest station, they always work.

WN2UIB Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2015 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Bird are the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using birds antenna switch to switch my amplifier it nice to know that you can count on your switch when using 1500 watt and you don't have to worry so now I use them to run my antennas when you pull it out goes right to ground I'm looking for another one you should try them you will be happy tom wu2q

K8UV Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2014 07:01 Send this review to a friend
QUALITY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been using several Alpha Delta antenna switch's, thought they were the best. Purchased a 74 at recent ham swap for $23.00 (he wanted $25.00). Wow what a surprise for me to find no cross over on receive, best quality I have ever seen. I would pay much more in the future if I can locate another one.

NI6S Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2012 08:11 Send this review to a friend
NONE BETTER!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This will review will cover all models of Bird switches even though the 74 is a 6 Position model. I use all configurations of Bird switches, especially for V/U/SHF. I have acquired these throughout the years at hamfests, Ebay, etc. Using these, you know you are doing your best to minimize loss, ensure solid switching and are getting the best isolation. I use good coax too. LMR 400/600 throughout. Using adapters kind of defeats the purpose so look for surplus coax patch cords with N Connectors (retired from cell sites) to avoid having to use adapters. The numbered plates are still available from Bird and range from $13-23 per plate, depending on model. I have bought new plates for most of my switches. They are silver in color and have replaced the black plates. The key is to find a switch that is mechanically sound. You can open is up and apply some 3-1 oil or a bit of lube. Why spend thousands on gear/antennas and compromise on the switch? Go all the way and rest assured that you have done all you can to close the loop on your station. A Bird 74 will cost $80-150 and the other models will go for more. Well worth the $$$. Good luck!

Ed

N0AZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2012 03:06 Send this review to a friend
There Are "NONE" Better  Time owned: more than 12 months
Once you use one of these Bird "74's" you will know what the word quality was intended to be. I do mean quality in every way from mechanical to electrically you just have to see and use it before you know what people are talking about. I have had mine about 5 years some of the best money I ever spent.

Fred/N0AZZ

WA4DC Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2012 21:52 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT QUALITY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE USED A LOT OF COAX SWITCHES IN 55 YEARS OF HAM RADIO AND NONE OUT PEFORM THE BIRD 74..I USE 3 BIRD 74s ON MY STATION SWITCHING 8 ANTENNAS WITH 3 RADIOS..YOU CAN'T BEAT THE QUALITY FOR THE MONEY..SO IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR QUALITY AND RELIABILITY THE BIRD 74 IS WHAT YOU NEED.

73s WA4DC

N0AZZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2011 02:58 Send this review to a friend
On a Scale of 1-10 this is a 15  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If you ever own one of these switches you will know what quality means this is in a class of it's own.

IK5DNE Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2010 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Quite rare to find and expensive when buy new but very very fine construction by Byrd.
No leakage fom plug A to plug B, also with high power (tested with 1230W CW), the RF front end is sure with this antenna switch.
Not even remotely comparable with other junk switches like Daiwa or, worse, MFJ.

73 de IK5DNE, George.

G0LJS Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2010 01:58 Send this review to a friend
Real Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This unit is no doubt the best . Good for test purpose's no leakage. Used in permanent set up therefore no adaptors used.Bought at local Hamfest /Rally for $45 app. Will be used to select tranceivers , no chance of burn't front ends.Like all Bird equipment "Real Quality" goes well with my "KWM - 2"

VE7AGW Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2007 18:14 Send this review to a friend
High Power DPDT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Found mine on eBay by chance as I was looking for a DPDT wafer switch that could handle 1.5KW. Upon delivery I was very impressed by it's ruggedness. It's a very simple DPDT coax switch and it was the perfect answer for my situation. I would love to find more of them but have since found that they are fairly rare. Having the Bird name on it sure gives the impression it is well made and it lives up to this reputation very easily.
If you ever find one grab it as they are rare and you will surely get your money back with a good profit. Better yet they are the best coax switch I've ever seen. Not at all like most of the amateur junk on the market today. This switch bears the quality we had many years ago.