Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron VS-35M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron VS-35M
Astron VS-35M Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $200
Description: Variable voltage/amperage power supply. Separate volt and amp meters, output voltage adjustable from 12-15 volts, current limit adjustable from 1.5 amp to full load
More info: http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml

You can write your own review of the Astron VS-35M.

N0ISY Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2017 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Heatsinks were overheating after 25 years one squirt of deoxit-  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've seen people saying their heatsink gets extremely hot. Such was the case with my Astron VS-35M, extreme heat with no load. I noticed the voltage would fluctuate also, the light bulb went off one squirt of deoxit in the variable voltage pot(must remove cover) rapid twisting of knob problem solved. Runs cool again with no load.

NW0LF Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2016 18:30 Send this review to a friend
very good but better with some mods  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this along with a RS-35M that I sold. A bulb burned out on the RS so when I replaced them with 110 degree wide angle white LEDs, I did the VS also. I also added a thermistor to take care of inrush current and I added a bleeder resistor to the filter capacitor. No more GNNNNNNNNNN sound on power up and the power supply drops to 0V very quickly on shut down. Cheap and easy mods that are definitely worth it to do.

I have an old, much used RS-12A powering my VHF shack radio and have sold on a 2nd RS-35A that was old but very solid. They are big, heavy linear power supplies which says it all. I will not buy any other brand.

K3QYE Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2016 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Paid $100 plus shipping from ebay. Meters are accurate according to my VTVM. Use it with my FT-950 and now FTdx3000. Quiet,very little noise. Can not hear it, the air conditioner makes more noise. No electrical noise at all in the Rig(s).

Does what I bought it for. Dependable,quiet 12 volt source for the transceivers.

K0NGO Rating: 1/5 Jan 24, 2016 08:34 Send this review to a friend
No customer service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this PS from DXE. After setting it up, the vibration/hum was loud enough to hear two rooms away.
My requests for help to Astron went unanswered.
Luckily, DXE responded by sending me another PS.
It worked fine at first, but just turned it on and the loud hum/vibration is back.
Guess I will consider this a learning experience - avoid Astron PoSs.

WA6ED Rating: 2/5 Dec 13, 2015 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Not so good PS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the VS-35M power supply connected to a Yaesu FTDX3000 with two LDG YT-1200 tuners. All less than a year old. During transmition, the tuners intermittantly glitch and revert to instant high SWR. Ferites didn't help. This locks the FTDX3000 requiring a complete power cycle to clear the condition. Powering the tuners with separate wall wart power supplies fixes the problem. Not so good regulation & filtering.

I was astonshed to observe how hot the rear heatsink becomes with only a 10 amp load. After all, it's a 35 amp power supply. Not so good efficency.

Sometimes, after turning on the power supply, I only read 2 volts on the meter. Nothing turns on at 2 volts. I was startled this could even hppen. I expect 13.8 volts every time. Looks like an initilization issue. Power cycling fixes the issue. Not so good power on design.

I was astonished to see incadesent bulbs in the analog volt and amp meters. These are the days of cheap LEDs that last forever. So, I expect these bulbs will burn out soon. Not so good parts selection.

K7QQH Rating: 1/5 Aug 9, 2014 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Great P.S. but production problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the VS-35M, and won't add to the many fine comments listed earlier.

After buying and setting up my (new in box) VS-35M, I noticed the large +/- terminal lugs seemed, well, "loose". Hmmmmm...better remove the cover and see why. To my astonishment, not only was the mounting fastener hardware for these terminals completely loose, but the associated components were so poorly installed that a dead short of the terminals (also of the components) was imminent. It's a bit tight in that area, but I was able to tinker it together and tighten everything/reroute the components.

To say the least, not a great way to begin service with a new unit. I contacted Astron and also wrote a detailed account of the problem on the warranty return card (i.e.: HEY! Pay attention to the final QC inspection of these units, as this should have never left the factory in this condition!). Never received a return call or written explanation from Astron, and to this day, I occasionally remove the top cover and inspect the unit interior to insure everything is tight and no obvious component discoloration/failure.

Sorry mates, but that was/is my experience, and will never buy an Astron product again. Yes, this could have been an "isolated production error", but given the overall poor condition of the final assembly, this should have caught - no excuses for obvious poor QC or lack of response from Astron. There's that old saying of "Never buy anything built on a Monday or Friday"...

Best regards, and 73's to all,

Roger C.
K7QQH

AA4BQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2014 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Great but....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a very fine supply. In my 50 years of hamming, I finally just bought a supply instead of building one. I am a little skiddish about the fact that it's output can be adjusted to over 15v. The absolute max voltage spec on expensive xceivers is 15vdc. The VS-35m should be limited to, say, 14.8 in case you accidentally "bump" the pot and zap radios - a very expensive mistake. A modification by adding a little resistance in that control circuit would do the trick. Otherwise, I am 110% happy with the supply.

KB9NGX Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2014 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Reliable.  Time owned: more than 12 months
In continuous service, over fifteen years. Physically and electrically quiet. Excellent voltage regulation. ICS rating by Astron, gives a more meaningful figure for Ham use. I never had a problem with this unit.

KA1J Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2012 02:11 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this from KJI Electronics in NJ and it was an excellent choice in both dealer and product. I have used it reliably for the last four years with never one issue. It is silent and is to me an ideal power supply which does everything I ask of it. I prefer an analog Power supply over a switching design and this one gives me all I need with great reserve to spare.

It is somewhat heavy because of the requisite transformer for an analog power supply of this capability but honestly, how often do you move your power supply?

KB2EOQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2012 09:41 Send this review to a friend
24 years later...  Time owned: more than 12 months
The switch just broke after 24 years of heavy use. This is the only problem I have had. Terrible workmanship, will nothing last these days?
:>)