Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron VS-35M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron VS-35M
Astron VS-35M Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $200
Description: Variable voltage/amperage power supply. Separate volt and amp meters, output voltage adjustable from 12-15 volts, current limit adjustable from 1.5 amp to full load
More info: http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml

You can write your own review of the Astron VS-35M.

HAMDUDE Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2010 08:02 Send this review to a friend
INDESTRUCTABLE  Time owned: more than 12 months
have had probably 6-8 of these in the last 10 year's, can't defeat it, turn it on for one minute or leave it on forever, just sit's there and work's. going for 80-100 dollars at ham fest's, best deal going.

KE7ADL Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2010 17:01 Send this review to a friend
A real work horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the VS-35M from an online discount 'store'. It arrived doa. I immediatly contacted the online 'store' only to be told that it wasn't their fault and to call Astron directly.
I called Astron explained the problem. They immediatly sent me 2 new voltage regulators(1 extra as a spare) and apologized. Awesome service!
I installed it and have been using the supply virtuall non stop for several years as my sole source of power for my whole station.
It is worth mentioning that this supply is very quiet with no 'hash' at all... on all of my vhf/uhf/hf radios on all frequencies!

KC0KBC Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2009 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Off to a good start  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just put a new one into service today as a bench supply. I'll update this or post again after some time goes by, but my initial impression is that the build quality is there and that this will live up to all the reviews written by others.

Astron is now advertising the fact that the meters in their power supplies are now backlit. I don't know how long that's been the case but it's a feature I need and appreciate.

ERIC Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2008 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Way better than a 12V battery.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Before this wonderful device I was using a G34 Yellow top Optima with a 23B battery booster. Worked just fine but I would have to charge it every third day for a few hours. What a pain that was. Now I come home flip a switch and I'm on the air. It's great.

Eric
KI6HNB

NI0C Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2008 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Peace of mind  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this unit as a power source for my Elecraft K2 and (soon to arrive) K3 transceivers, and numerous accessory items in the shack.

Call me old-fashioned, but I wanted a reliable and noise-free linear supply with reserve current capability. Such a supply is physically larger and heavier than switching units, but I had plenty of space on the lower shelf of my operating desk.

I chose the adjustable voltage and current limit control version because my K2 is the QRP version with internal battery, and requires 14.0 to 14.1 volts rather than the standard 13.8V, in order to maintain the battery charge. I use the built-in DVM in the K2 to check the power supply voltage setting.

I leave this supply turned on 24/7 with no worries.

WN7L Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2007 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This power supply is one you can rely upon for a long time. It just sits in the power supply cabinet and does its thing. I particularly like the VS-35M since you can always "see" how it is performing both amp-wise and voltage-wise through the panel meters. If you want to adjust the parameters a bit it is a simple turn of either dial. Astron power supplies are work horses. I have an RS-12A I have been using to power 2 meter rigs since 1975. I can't see a need to purchase any other brand of power supply.

WD0M Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2007 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Work Horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my power supply well over 20 years ago, and it hasn't missed a beat. It's powered my satellite station, UHF linear amp, Icom 756Pro, and many other pieces of equipment over the years. Most of the time, I forget it's there.

I like being able to set the voltage, as well as the current, individually for the equipment I'm using. The only thing I've done over the years is to dust it off and vacuum any dust that may collect on or in it.

It's proved to be a great value over the years.

Joe