Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-S11T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-S11T
Alinco DJ-S11T Reviews: 20 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 144.000 ~ 147.995MHz(2M) Sub-Miniature Hand-Held VHF Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DJ-S11T.shtml

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-S11T.

KC8MWG Rating: 3/5 Apr 22, 2016 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Okay for short range  Time owned: more than 12 months
My elmer, a buddy of his, and I each bought one of these on sale years ago to keep in touch with each other at Dayton. I haven't used mine since then - nowhere near enough power to hit any of the local repeaters. In that respect, my Baofeng UV-5RA is much better. But it is okay for the purpose for which I bought it in the first place - short range simplex operation. It would have been better off with the ability to hook up more efficient antennas, but that would have eliminated its best feature - its pocket-sized compactness.

KA1VF Rating: 3/5 Dec 28, 2014 18:32 Send this review to a friend
no bang for the buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these new at HRO, and casually
used it locally for more than a year. Ham band
only coverage was a frustration, and that lousy
antenna just added fuel to the fire as they say.

N4FDG Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2011 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Works great, lasts a LONG time  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works great for low power rig. Don't get it as your one and only two meter rig but if you can find one it's good as a back up short range radio. It's easy on batteries and audio is first class. Had mine for 12 years or so.

KB3GJP Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2005 12:00 Send this review to a friend
KB3GJP  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Yes the radio has low power. Yes the radio has a non removeable antenna.

Thats not why I give it a 4. I give it a 4 because It could have continueous squelch. That could make the radio much better.

N4OUE Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2004 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought two of these rigs about a year apart while traveling. It has a very strong receiver with better than good audio. The rig fits nicely in the hand and has no sharp corners to tare your packets. It only has 20 memories, but that's all you need if your on the move. It has a great manual and lots of features; more than I expected from an $ 80.00 radio. The auto squelch works wonderfully. I don't think it's worth it to buy NiCads and charge them all the time. Besides, carbon AA throw-aways are had in a minute and provide more power. Also, they last quite a while like about a month with frequent use.

High Quality except for antenna interface, but then it can hit most repeaters in 10 to 12 mile radius. Always works; no problems...

73 Terry

N1UMJ Rating: 2/5 Jun 26, 2004 14:57 Send this review to a friend
could be better but what do you want for the price?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my DJS-11T a while back for college, planned to use it with a repeater that was right out back of my dorm. After about 2 weeks, the volume nob got tight and after another week I couldn't even turn it. I sent it back, they supposedly fixed it, I got it back and after a week it did the same thing so I did a quick fix on it undoubtedly what alinco did and gave it to a local ham letting him know of the problems. I guess he got rid of it shortly there after for the same reason. Not crazy about the teliscopic junk antenna but it did alright while I could use it it was easy to use. It's too bad there's potential there, battery life was good the instructions were very easy to follow but apparently they use poor quality parts on the low dollar radios. After talking to a few friends I don't think I'll get another alinco product again.

VE4KMF Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2004 01:40 Send this review to a friend
Not Bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just recently aquired my DJ-S11T from eHam.net classifieds.
Like almost eveyone else has mentioned, i would not purchase this unit as a primary rig because of its low power. However it does have great audio on transmit and receive, and i am able to bring up 3 of the 4 repeaters in my area, the furthest being about 8 to 10 miles away. I use 2100mah NIMH batteries in the rig, and they seem to last quite a long time. I like the feel and design of the radio, as well as how the belt clip grasps to your belt (or in my case pocket).
Also the display lighting is very bright (better than my VX-1R) and i like the fact that when the batteries finally do come to the end of their long and useful life, i'll only spend around 15.00 CAD to replace them, versus 100.00 for a new battery for the VX-1R
The only thing i can think of that would make this an even better emergency low power backup rig, is if it had a rubber duck antenna instead of the cheesy and flimsy telescopic.
All in all, a great little unit for emergency backup or hiking etc....

2INTEREST Rating: 4/5 Sep 11, 2003 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Works fine for its size  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got the DJ-S11 I have on E-bay (maybe from N6AJR!) and found it to be a perfectly adaquate radio for use where distance/signal strength is not a factor. I live about a mile from my primary repeater and this little handheld turns out to be perfect for my needs. Intermod doesn't seem to be a problem (there are paging transmitters in the area also) I can hear ham signals just fine. As someone else said, these are perfect SHORT DISTANCE handhelds!

N6HFJ Rating: 1/5 Sep 10, 2003 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
Don't get this radio if you plan to talk to other stations, only to listen. Will not hit a repeater just a few miles away.

AC4RD Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2002 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Great little gadget  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a DJ-S11 for 3-4 years now. I'm not very active on VHF, but I keep this in my briefcase, in my camera bag on vacations, and it's always there and handy. It's a rugged little thing--mine's been through heavy rains and lots of falls. Don't use it much but it works VERY well for what it is. If you live in Kansas and the nearest repeater is 50 miles, you don't want this radio. But I can see 2 repeaters out my window at work and find the DJ-S11 to be very handy for keeping in touch with friends, checking the "skywarn" traffic during storms, etc. As I said at the top, it's a great little gadget.