Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-S11T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-S11T
Alinco DJ-S11T Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 144.000 ~ 147.995MHz(2M) Sub-Miniature Hand-Held VHF Transceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DJ-S11T.shtml

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-S11T.

N6AJR Rating: 3/5 Feb 7, 2002 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Minimal at best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had one of these for about 2 months. I live in a peculiar area. I live just north of the San Francisco bay area and just south of the Sacramento valley area , radio wise. This worked fair in the bay area, not as well in the Sac valley, and almost not at all near home. (near Travis AFB). I'm in between repeater zones more or less.

I think the 1/3 watt is just not enough and having no way to hook upan external antenna, these just don't quite do the job. I suppose it would work ok as a FRS radio, but those can be bought cheeper and have no license requirement. I think my experiance ended in more frustratiuon than usefulness. If I lived most of the time in either of the near by areas it would be different, but you can't hit a repeater driving down the road from inside a car with out picket fencing the repeater.

Well designed, easy to use, But Scotty, WE NEED MORE POWER . I wish they put out at least a watt. I sold mine on ebay for $50 bucks about the right price for one used.. tom N6AJR

KD5RFT Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2002 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Best Design in its Class  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The DJ-S11 as I understand it falls in the microtxcr class. It has a 340mW (1/3W) output. The beauty of this radio is it's case design. The belt clip is located flush with the top of the radio, much easier to carry than comparable radios where the clip can be as low as 1/3 height from the top. I've never had it fall off my waistline - and without a belt most of the time. The antenna may be lacking because it's a tad shorter than an optimal length and non removable, but it contains a feature I haven't seen in other HTs. Not only is it telescoping, it folds down behind the radio into a grove, eliminating the antenna from the dimensions of the radio. How many of us must unscrew our HT antenna to carry it on our waist because it stabs us in the ribs? This can't be a primary rig, but is by far the most convient to carry without the need of attachments (like antenna).

Intermod is fair. Batteries last for weeks or more with typical RX. The dual mode nightlight is convient if you primarly like to listen, especially at night. You can toggle the display between auto or on/off modes. There is no DTMF keypad, but the shift button makes tuning a breeze after a few entries.

The mod allows for RX/TX on MARS/CAP/NOAA/MURS (check current regulations before TX). It's a little weak on the receive out-of-band, but I found holding a hand over or touching the tip of the antenna will add one bar to the RX.

I can find no documentation on the charging capabilities. I read a rumor that the base was canceled to keep to lower cost of using this radio. I did some probing with my multimeter and I believe that applying 6V to the radio will slow/trickle charge NiMH/NiCD just fine.

The case and antenna are durable. I've had a few knocks from a desk, monitor, and assorted places with antenna extended and only once did the antenna slightly bend... it was exactly at the rubber coated section near the base of the antenna and had no effect on the main antenna or the swivle connection on the unit. I easily bended it back in to place by hand and can find no evidence of a remaining bend or dent.

Long winded review, but hope this adds to that body of knowledge on the internet for others to make a more informed decision.

73...Nick, KD5RFT

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2002 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Very good for what it does  Time owned: more than 12 months
I carried one of these (or the matching DJ-S41) in my purse for a few years. It's small, lightweight, and works. The 340mW is enough to bring up a number of repeaters in the area full quieting, even with the short antenna. Both receive and transmit audio are very good.

The complaint about intermod protection (or the lack thereof) is true of most modern Japanese toys. I live near a medium sized city (Raleigh, NC) and in most places I hear repeaters. I have to go to a really high intermod zone to have a problem, and then so does about every other rig.

The DJ-S11 is fairly intuitive and the ergonomics are quite good for a rig this small. The Alinco engineers really seemed to do a good job designing this little HT. My only complaint is that the antenna is fixed: you cannot remove it and connect to an outside antenna.

A new ham should have no problems enjoying this rig to the fullest provided they make sure they are in range of a repeater or two they can hit at milliwatt power. Checking with a local ham might have helped the first reviewer make a choice that made sense for him. For a lot of new hams this rig will do everything they need in an HT.

The only reason I got rid of this rig was to go to a dual band HT (with all of 200mW output). It's ideal for special events and public service work, and the batteries last a very, very long time. There is probably no better value out there.

KC8PMM Rating: 3/5 Jan 16, 2002 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Good for $88  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Useful for crossband repeating but not much else. Antenna stinks. Worth the price new.

W5PM Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2000 11:58 Send this review to a friend
how about that price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This applies to the S-11, S-41 and S-46. The radio is easy to program, yet I have never unintentionally erased or overwritten anything. With the folding antenna, the radio fits in your pocket. It runs on AAs, which can be found in almost any corner store. It has good audio. Unlike every other modern radio I have owned, I have never had to reset the microprocessor and start all over. We use the 2m (since 1997), 440 (since 1997)and FRS models (since 1998) in my family and have had no problems whatsoever. As a primary rig, you would find the radio limited, but that is not how we use them. We use them for Scouts, hiking and skiing. Also good for walks around town. I would recommend the radios as part of an emergency go-bag, to complement a 5-watt or higher HT with external antenna capability and cross-band repeat.

ND4MR Rating: 3/5 Apr 26, 2000 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Never ask more than they can give  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two of these little DJ-S11's and recently gave one as a gift to another ham. They are great little radios for what they do, but don't expect from these "Toy Radios" more than they were designed to give. Their receiver has virtually no intermod protection, and if you use an S-11 in an urban environment you'll probably hear more paging transmitters than ham transmitters. The S-11's own transmitter is a mere 1/3rd watt, and it has a shortened (read: inefficient) antenna, so its transmit capabilities are likewise limited. Having said all this, I really like my pair of S-11's. I keep one in the trunk of the car as a supplement -- not a backup -- for my 50 watt mobile, and have another that is often worn on my belt. Just remember that, with ANY of these micro-tiny radios, they have significant limitations, and buying one as your FIRST radio -- or, heaven forbid -- your ONLY radio, is unwise and ill-advised.

KD7HUU Rating: 3/5 Apr 24, 2000 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Not very happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I need to clarify and update the first review. I found out afterwards that the repeater was about 7miles away. I did talk to other hams and they said the 70cm (DJ-S41) works much better. I had someone(KB7AQD) contact me and he liked the smaller radios. All he uses it for is recieving, he ended up trading me the Alinco for an HTX-202 and I am much happier. I can get out to a lot of repeaters now and am able to talk to several different amateurs. Thanks Robert(KB7AQD), Terry.

KD7HUU Rating: 3/5 Mar 31, 2000 12:46 Send this review to a friend
I do not recommend this for a first radio.  Time owned: unknown months
I bought this radio as a first radio, I've only been a ham since Feb. 2000. As most new hams, I've read about, I just listened for a few weeks. When I did get around to xmitting, I couldn't even get to a repeater 1/2 mile away. It makes a pretty good receiver. I realize that this only has 340mW output, but I bought it without talking to any other hams. In fairness, I have not tried to use the 5.5v output adapter with this radio.