Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-949E Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-949E
MFJ-949E Reviews: 135 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: 300 watt 1.8-30MHz antenna tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-949E

You can write your own review of the MFJ-949E.

OE3SGU Rating: 4/5 Jul 20, 2013 12:21 Send this review to a friend
good basic tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very nice working ATU with reasonable tuning range. No arcing etc. with 100 Watts in my stealth city shack. Power meter seems to be quite accurate compared to my other meters. In addition you get an antenna switch and a dummy load. What else can you ask for the price?

KI5FJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2013 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Good performance vs cost  Time owned: more than 12 months
Range of impedance matching is reasonable. It will not provide the range of physically larger and more costly ATUs. Replacing the capacitor knobs with a larger 1.5 inch (RS 274-0402) will reduce hand coupling to the capacitors and allow easier adjustment. The addition of a RF Transformer such as MFJ-907 will extend the range of coaxial impedance matching. All ATUs compromise something; there is no free lunch! The power handling ratings of all ATUs should be understood to be "Best Case".
Impedance matching at the antenna is the most efficient. As an example,view my design in the October 2011 edition of QST. I currently use two 949Es. The other seven in-the-shack ATUs range from a Vintage Ultimate Trans-Match to my favorite, the ATR-30. 73 Joe O, K I 5 F J NNNN

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2012 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Long Time Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the 949E for many years now, having bought one of the first ones off the production line. It has performed exactly as advertised. I think a lot of folks just don't like MFJ and would grouse whatever they came up with. I have had no problems and in fact, have never had a reason to even call their customer service. This is a good tuner at a very reasonable price that works. Enough said.

KF5JOO Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2012 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this in use for over a year. Easy to use, solid, no issues. I use it with an MFJ G5RV and a venerable Icom IC-735. SWR of 1:1 is easy to get on most bands with little effort.

KG9HV Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2012 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this tuner new in 1994 and I've never had a problem with it. I'm presently using it to tune a ladder line fed dipole with no issues. This is a good tuner and it has given me 18 years of good service so far. I'd buy another one.

VE7KNQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2012 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tuner for over 10 years and it's still working perfectly. My Alinco DX-70TH is connected to it and I've had no trouble tuning homemade dipoles and verticles. No issues with the tuner itself like others mention.

KK4IBG Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2012 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had really good luck with the MFJ products.
This tuner has worked great with my ladder line to a inverted V Dipol on all the HF bands, once you have your ladder line at the right length.
Swr's are easily tuned to 1:1 and lower.
I am replacing it with the MFJ-989C due to an Amp I am going to use.

N7WR Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2012 19:35 Send this review to a friend
So Far So Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my share of issues with MFJ tuners over the years but a ham offered me a brand new, never used 949E at a great price so I took a chance. I use it only to tune my OCFDand horizontal loop antennas on portions of 160 and 80 that do not have an acceptable SWR w/o a tuner. When I picked up this tuner I did the obligatory shake test for loose parts and was greated by silence---which in the case of an MFJ tuner is a good thing. Hooked it up and it does its intended job very well. I tune with the exciter at 25 watts and when a match is found up the power gradually and re-tweak the tuning until I get to my transceiver's top output of 200 watts. The size of the tuner fits nicely in my console. I like the stepped inductor switch rather than the variable.

WB8ZTP Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Works Great! Very Pleased!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iíve had my MFJ-949E Manual Antenna Tuner for over a year now and it works great! Took it on our last vacation to OBX, strung out a 84í Longwire antenna toward the Atlantic Ocean, tuned up 20 Meters and worked Ukraine, Russia and Denmark on SSB in ~ 45 minutes one night all on 100 watts!. Tuned 40 meters, got on my favorite net with great reports one evening. Iím very pleased with its ease and performance.

I always start by setting the controls to the MFJ recommended settings in the manual for the band being tuned and only with 10 w before increasing power and checking it again and fine tuning it.

73, Mark
WB8ZTP

KT0DD Rating: 3/5 Jun 12, 2012 12:58 Send this review to a friend
update  Time owned: months
well, I applied RF to the unit and no arcing or issues. tuned my attic dipole ok. I'm raising my review 1 point as I'm still irked by quality control issues.