Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ 949E Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 949E
MFJ 949E Reviews: 132 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: 300 watt 1.8-30MHz antenna tuner
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-949E

You can write your own review of the MFJ 949E.

KF5JOO Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2012 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this in use for over a year. Easy to use, solid, no issues. I use it with an MFJ G5RV and a venerable Icom IC-735. SWR of 1:1 is easy to get on most bands with little effort.

KG9HV Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2012 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this tuner new in 1994 and I've never had a problem with it. I'm presently using it to tune a ladder line fed dipole with no issues. This is a good tuner and it has given me 18 years of good service so far. I'd buy another one.

VE7KNQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2012 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tuner for over 10 years and it's still working perfectly. My Alinco DX-70TH is connected to it and I've had no trouble tuning homemade dipoles and verticles. No issues with the tuner itself like others mention.

KK4IBG Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2012 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had really good luck with the MFJ products.
This tuner has worked great with my ladder line to a inverted V Dipol on all the HF bands, once you have your ladder line at the right length.
Swr's are easily tuned to 1:1 and lower.
I am replacing it with the MFJ-989C due to an Amp I am going to use.

N7WR Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2012 19:35 Send this review to a friend
So Far So Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my share of issues with MFJ tuners over the years but a ham offered me a brand new, never used 949E at a great price so I took a chance. I use it only to tune my OCFDand horizontal loop antennas on portions of 160 and 80 that do not have an acceptable SWR w/o a tuner. When I picked up this tuner I did the obligatory shake test for loose parts and was greated by silence---which in the case of an MFJ tuner is a good thing. Hooked it up and it does its intended job very well. I tune with the exciter at 25 watts and when a match is found up the power gradually and re-tweak the tuning until I get to my transceiver's top output of 200 watts. The size of the tuner fits nicely in my console. I like the stepped inductor switch rather than the variable.

WB8ZTP Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Works Great! Very Pleased!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iíve had my MFJ-949E Manual Antenna Tuner for over a year now and it works great! Took it on our last vacation to OBX, strung out a 84í Longwire antenna toward the Atlantic Ocean, tuned up 20 Meters and worked Ukraine, Russia and Denmark on SSB in ~ 45 minutes one night all on 100 watts!. Tuned 40 meters, got on my favorite net with great reports one evening. Iím very pleased with its ease and performance.

I always start by setting the controls to the MFJ recommended settings in the manual for the band being tuned and only with 10 w before increasing power and checking it again and fine tuning it.

73, Mark
WB8ZTP

KT0DD Rating: 3/5 Jun 12, 2012 12:58 Send this review to a friend
update  Time owned: months
well, I applied RF to the unit and no arcing or issues. tuned my attic dipole ok. I'm raising my review 1 point as I'm still irked by quality control issues.

KD4GID Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2012 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
After five years, still pleased. Has worked very well at 100w into a random wire on 10-80m. About a year ago, well out of warranty, the SWR cross needle meter quit. One call to support led to me replacing the two diodes on the circuit board which were provided free of charge along with two spares. Great Support!

K3IVB Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2012 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Best Ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
Beat Palstar hands down, best ever on all levels, price performance quality etc. Buy one and you will never need to buy another antenna tuner. It's that good and I owned them all people,trust me.

G4WXF Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2012 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use-Does the job!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The MFJ-949E is a T-Match tuner, just like any other manufacturerís T-Match tuner, but is of a lower build quality than some.
If you do some research you will discover not only the shortcomings, but also the strengths, of T-Match tuners i.e. their ability to tune almost any strange load (albeit with unfavourable LC ratios resulting in additional loss).
This is why commercial manufacturers love the T-Match design Ė it just about always works.
Over the last 30 years I have acquired many different tuners i.e. Z-match,T-match + 4:1 balun and a classic link coupled unit.
The best, in terms of RF efficiency and balance, was always the link coupled unit.
However, when making A/B measurements, using a pair of calibrated RF ammeters and various balanced loads, the MFJ unit comes very close to the the link coupled unit and, on some bands, is a little more efficient.
The same holds true when measured using various doublet antennas and overall I am impressed with this tunerís performance.
The metering is accurate and easy to read, the build quality is of a reasonable standard, and the in-built 50 ohm load is very useful for transmitter testing.
For the money it does an excellent job.
MFJ manufacture niche products for a niche hobby market and all in all do a pretty good job considering the price. Their manuals are usually informative and run to several pages.
More expensive T-Match tuners donít necessarily perform any better.
I have sold all my other tuners and now use a 949E exclusively to tune my doublet antennas.
If you are looking for a flexible tuner to use with your 100 or 200 watt rig then the 949E is most suitable.