Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Commercial/Military/Marine adaptable to ham use | ARVIN TRC-77/TRC-77A Help

Reviews Summary for ARVIN TRC-77/TRC-77A
ARVIN TRC-77/TRC-77A Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $250.00
Description: Tactical Manpack, Vietnam Vintage

You can write your own review of the ARVIN TRC-77/TRC-77A.

W8IJN Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2012 19:06 Send this review to a friend
I should have bought two of 'em.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back around 1971 I was an RM3 home on leave from the USN, headed to the USS Saratoga. I took my mother to visit the local surplus electronics store she liked outings & seeing what her crazy son was up to and came across one of these beauties for $15. I should have bought two of 'em.

I cobbled together a 12V supply that didn't hum too badly and put the radio on the air from my off-base apartment right at the water's edge in Jax Beach, FL. I worked a bunch of folks up and down the coast & one night almost made a Q with a guy in California on 40m.

The TRC-77 was probably the most fun QRP radio I've ever played with. I blew up the power supply in it hooking it up to a car back before normal people went crazy going QRP CW mobile and handed the radio to a younger ham I met when I left the USN in 1972.

I should have bought two of 'em. One to give to Mikey and the other to keep & not blow up for myself. It was a sweet radio.

Crystal controlled tx was a bit of a chore but the BFO made it pretty easy to hear around whatever crystal I had plugged into the side of the box. And the receiver was pretty selective with ceramic filters and a 455kHz IF.

I understand that they're still around but I never see 'em at the Dayton Hamvention flea market or on eBay and one website I've seen gave 'em a much heavier price tag than the $15 I handed ol' Sandy Mendelson back 40-odd years ago.

I should have bought two of 'em.

KB1PFL Rating: 4/5 Mar 14, 2008 22:12 Send this review to a friend
nice C.W. rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
good radio easy to use.I stupidly sold it a few years back...Sigh.Now looking for another.KB1PFL Jim jrm1967athotmaildotcom

KA4KOE Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2007 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Neat little QRP radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For what it is, a 15W, 6 channel, waterproof green radio, its fantastic. Plus, the receive current drain is unbelievably low. They are avaiable from time to time on Ebay. I had one given to me by a friend.