Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Watson Tri Magnetic Mount W-300 Help

Reviews Summary for Watson Tri Magnetic Mount W-300
Watson Tri Magnetic Mount W-300 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $40
Description: Triple Magnetic Mount

You can write your own review of the Watson Tri Magnetic Mount W-300.

MW0LDJ Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2011 06:17 Send this review to a friend
W-300 Triple Magnetic Mount  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A great anchor for even the bulkiest mobile antennas, but I would recommend this mount mostly for whip antennas if you're going to go out and about at speed in a high wind. I bought one to mount my SRC 8010 HF whip and its in the same position now as it was the day it was attached. Don't use the antenna to lever it off either, these are so strong they could easily cause some damage to the antenna base.
The down side, they rust..... and quickly. Mine was on for only a month before it started to break out in small rust bubbles but this is easily remedied. A quick treatment of magnetite paste and some spray-on plastic coating (both from Halfords) will stop the water getting to it. The rust problem is why this mount gets a 4/5.. Otherwise, if you operate HF mobile and don't want to be drilling holes in the bodywork, you probably need one..

MM0YET Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2010 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Sticks like nothing else!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Heavy, expensive - but worth it.

I'm amazed that G0ISW managed to get one to come unstuck!

I bought this one secondhand but unused, and it's been great - I had my 80m 'hamstick' hit a bird at about 50 and snap in two in the middle of the loading coil, but the magnet stayed stuck to the roof of the YL's Fiat Punto.

I once stuck it to the roof on my Mitsubishi Evo and I had a job getting it off (very thin roof on an Evo 1).

I tend to keep mine indoors or in the boot unless it's in use, so I've yet to notice any rust problems.

G0ISW Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2007 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Strong, but rusty!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is as robust and strong a Magentic Mount for HF aerials as you can get. 3 x 5" magnets, joined together with a very thick triangular metal plate. Once on metal, this doesn't easily come off unless you use the leverage supplied by an attached aerial.

I was easily able to tune a selection of HF aerials using this mount.

The poorest feature of this great magnetic mount is that it rusts incredibly easily and quickly.

Also you need a completely flat metal surface large enough for all 3 magnets. I tried it on my curved roof and only 2 magnets would attach. The wind resistance from my outbacker stealth plus, at 70 MPH on the motorway, resulted in the magentic mount detaching. I don't think any magnetic mount would have stayed on, though with that particular aerial. My thinner Comet CA-HV HF aerial had no such problem, even with only 2 out of the 3 magnets attached.