Reviews Categories | Batteries & Chargers for amateur radios. | Radio Shack Rechargeable Nickel-Metal Hydrides Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack Rechargeable Nickel-Metal Hydrides
Reviews: 7 Average rating: 1.9/5 MSRP: $20.00
Description: They're green and it's $20 for 4 of them.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack Rechargeable Nickel-Metal Hydrides.

KB1GMX Rating: 3/5 Jan 25, 2014 13:58 Send this review to a friend
the cells work for me, charger no  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three sets (12 cells) the newest is more than 5 years old. Oldest is 9 years old.

The chargers for all three have failed after about 3 years of use. The problem was they indicated charged but the cells were not charged.

The batteries are excellent and have run fine in all uses where the 1.25V (or nicds) are acceptable. The oldest set is near 9 years old and still charges well using a charger made for NiMh as do the newer sets.

My digital cameras hates all NIMH and NiCds and that's not the batteries fault. I get better
performance than any NiCds in that size and the
only match (better charger) is the Duracell stay charged.

I gave them a 3 for the package (charger and cells) though the cells by themselves are a 5.

Allison

KD7CJO Rating: 1/5 Jan 29, 2013 14:16 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got the 4 green batts. and the charger for use in my HT. Don`t put out the power needed for "long" talk times and to get the most power out of the rig. Used them in other things around the shack and got similar results. Not worth the money or time in my view. Don`t seem to last long in anything. Always get low batt. lamps going off in everything I put them in. Save your $$ and get a better deal elsewhere. 73 and vry good dx de kd7cjo in dn51

N0LOH Rating: 0/5 Jun 7, 2011 20:48 Send this review to a friend
They don't last long.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Batteries are Radio Shack 23-525 AA
Charger is Radio Shack 23-1302

Tried them with my HTX-200 and HTX-400 handhelds. Never lasted more than on hour on just receive. Could never get more than two short transmissions out.

I'm going back to using regular batteries.

N2MWE Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2011 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Good for my scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use four Enercell rechargables in my Pro 106, and get a good ten to twelve hours out of a charge. I charge them in their four bay rapid charger...no problems.

HFHAM2 Rating: 0/5 Mar 1, 2007 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Mine were no good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the RS AA charger which came with RS NiMH batteries for an HP digital camera outfit I also bought from them.

I charged the batteries as per the instructions, put them in the camera and was able to play with the camera very briefly and take 1 (yes one) picture before the "battery too low" warning came on in the camera.

I then put in the no-name alkalines that were supplied with the camera and got a reasonable life (for alkalines) from them.

Meanwhile, I tried to recharge the RS NiMH batteries. Once "charged" and put back into the camera, they *immediately* triggered the low battery warning on the camera. Useless!

I took batteries and charger back to RS who gave me a refund.

In years past, I used to buy RS (non-rechargeable) alkalines (the gold colored ones) until I noticed that they leaked when exhausted.

I've also noticed that their film-camera alkaline batteries (CR1s or something like that) lasted virtually no time too.

Radio Shack have sold some good RS-branded gear in their time (sadly less and less these days), but I've had no luck at all with their batteries.

WB4HUC Rating: 4/5 Mar 1, 2007 04:04 Send this review to a friend
No problems here  Time owned: more than 12 months
Six or seven years ago we bought 2 sets of 4 AA
batteries for our Epson Digital camera. We're still
using those same two sets in the camera, they
haven't failed yet.

NS6Y_ Rating: 0/5 Feb 28, 2007 23:47 Send this review to a friend
Just don't.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got these for my new Eton E5, great radio, these batts are AWFUL though! I got one good use out of them, ran the radio for a good long while, then the 2nd recharge, the batts lasted 15 minutes! That's all folks!

I have a lot of non-rechargeable AA's around here, I'm not making this mistake again, maybe I'll try another brand, maybe I'll just buy AA's once in a while - most modern radios play a long time on batts, my little Grundig FR200 is still on the original batts from 2 years ago, for example.

Just don't get these batts.