Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-2820H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-2820H
ICOM IC-2820H Reviews: 47 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $768
Description: The ICOM IC-2820H 2M/440 dual bander has all the features you would expect and some you would not! You get: separate front panel, wideband receive, 3 power settings, built-in CTCSS decode/encode, selectable amber/green display, PC compatibility and 522 memory channels. V/V and U/U receive is available. The rear panel has two SO-239 antenna jacks to support diversity reception (two antennas required). The diversity function compares the receiving signal strength from two different antennas, ANT1 and ANT2, and automatically selects the strongest signal. This feature is useful when you are listening in a moving vehicle or the transmitting station itself is moving. Diversity receiving is available in 127 MHz, 136 MHz, 146 MHz, 375 MHz, 440 MHz and 500 MHz bands only.

The IC-2820H is D-STAR upgradeable with the optional UT-123 Power output is 50/15/5 watts on 2 meters and 50/15/5 watts on 440 MHz. It is 9600 BPS packet ready too (6 pin DIN). This radio comes with full function backlit HM-133 remote DTMF hand mic, mounting bracket, power cord and spare fuses. Main unit size: 5.9 x 1.65 x 7.4 inches 3.3 Lbs (150x40x188 mm 1.5 kg). Controller size: 5.9 x 2.6 x 1.25 inches 7.4 ounces (150x58x32 mm 210g). This model requires 13.8 VDC at 12 amps. This radio is supplied with the OPC-1663 and OPC-1712 separation cables.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/2820.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-2820H.

KK4ULE Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2014 20:19 Send this review to a friend
So far I love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Awesome radio. Features for days. Mag mount control head is awesome. Xband repeat is as simple as pushing 3 buttons in at same time. One of the small things that I love the most is that you can display both freq and alpha tag at same time. Yes this radio does have an extensive menu system which does require some learning but to me that is all part of the fun. In all fairness I have only had the radio a few days so hopefully I will still feel the same a few months down the road. Will do a follow up review in the future but as of now this is by far my favorite rig.

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2014 13:49 Send this review to a friend
great dual band  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
second one, first review years ago. returned yaesu 400 last week because of intermode. no problem with 2820. beautiful radio, well built.only dislike programing. 79 years old, like the lage readout. extra year warranty is nice, hro!!!

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2013 21:40 Send this review to a friend
GREAT FOR MY NEEDS {:>)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well again I can see from the reviews I've read that many people should just start their own company because nothing that anyone builds is good enough for them.I must say that I LOVE my ICOM 2820H & wish I had purchased it sooner.I am using it as my VHF/UHF & D-STAR Base Radio.It is the perfect choice for my shack needs.50 watts of output on both bands is more than enough.I get almost 60 watts on some portions of both bands.I still enjoy D-STAR more every time I use it.Love the large bright display & the receiver is very good but like any rig has a learning curve but not to bad once you just pay attention to what you are doing.The 2820H is a keeper for me along with my ICOM 91AD.They make a nice combo package & should serve my needs for many years! GREAT rig again ICOM just as I expected! {:>)

NZ3Y Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2013 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Lots of features - not user-friendly.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio is very solid and well made with a large array of features. When paired with a Diamond dual-band mobile antenna, selectivity and sensitivity are excellent in my locality. Transmitted audio is good. On the downside, the controls are small and difficult to use while driving. Also, the cost is somewhat high when you consider that to add D-star, you need the UT-123 module - an optional extra. Next time I'll get the ID-880, which includes the D-star capability at the expense of dual-watch, for considerably less money.

GI0ZGB Rating: 3/5 Dec 24, 2012 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Regrets, I Have A Few  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought the Icom IC-E2820 with UT-123 GPS/Digital Adapter.
Straight out of the box it became self-evident that the mic is typical Icom quality, Chinese junk.
The TX audio is tinny and pinched, devoid of low frequencies and must be modified to address the problems.
The capsule mic element hole must be enlarged to help enhance the passage of low voice frequencies.

Some mods advocate removing the felt cover from the capsule, and it's been found the capsule may be clogged with Chinese glue, a new capsule is required. After modifying I use gauze and sponge to cover the capsule input as advocated by Bob AB4N in his Icom IC-7000 mic mod.
The addition of a 3u3 - 4u7 capacitor is pretty much mandatory and the capsule type, experimental perhaps.
I used a modified Icom HM-154T mic and it produced excellent audio, but Icom should have sorted this problem long ago as it degrades many models.

Mic problems sorted, D-Star provides superb audio, but it requires ideal conditions to deliver the goods.
Once the conditions fall below a certain level, D-Star is sucked into a black hole, not a flaw, just the nature of the system.
For me the most damming weakness was intermod performance and susceptibility to paging systems interference.
Here it was simply outclassed by the Yaesu FTM-350R, the Kenwood TM-D710 and the humble Yaesu FT-480R, red face Icom!

This is a complex rig and it takes a while to get your head around the menu systems.
D-Star is unnecessarily complex requiring you to travel through various wormholes to get to your destination; it could and should be simpler.
It is a seriously overpriced rig, and I think the price hike puts the rig beyond the budget range of many hams.
I would recommend this rig if you live in the sticks but not in the city as I find intermod renders it unusable at times.

ZL2UFI Rating: 4/5 Dec 22, 2012 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Good but a better radio is now needed from ICOM  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Good but a better radio is now needed from ICOM as this one is showing its age, but here's my spin on it:

I was lucky enough to be loaned a IC-2820H for about 6 months at the same time I purchased the ICOM ID-880H,
so a compare between to the two was a good thing to do. While I like the larger display of the 2820H, I find that
dual band dual receive is a pain, as I was always turn up one band and turning down the other to listen to the
audio when mobile.

I have 'channellised' the memories for D-STAR usage, with memories set for CQCQCQ, Linking, unlinking, plus
non-gateway usage (means you can talk locally without your transmitted signal going out on the gateway).
So while mobile I can easily switch between various memory positions and link/unlink to repeaters/reflectors with ease.

The local club put up a VHF and UHF ICOM repeater stack, with a gateway so we quickly found that poor audio
in produced poor audio out on D-STAR. We tracked this down to the microphone and did a mod to fix this.
(http://www.zl2vh.org.nz/pdf/other/HM-133%20Microphone%20Mods.pdf refers)
This improved the audio to almost as good as FM. FM transmission is not affected by this mod.

To work D-STAR you need to add the D-STAR board (additional cost) and you also get the external GPS Antenna.
As noted elsewhere the GPS plugs into the front of the main radio unit so is a real pain when the headunit is attached as well.

Also as there is only one D-STAR board you can only receive one D-STAR signal at a time, so you cannot have D-STAR
on board sides of the radio (so to speak). This is not new as all the D-STAR radios are the same in this respect.
It would be nice is you could add a second board for this to work.

One upside of the 2820H is that it has more screen real estate, and is easier to use and programme directly from the
screen as opposed to the ID-880H.

One final comment, having been on D-STAR (and I suppose any digital format) I would not like to return to FM analogue
- for mobile use it is the best, audio is great regardless of the signal strength, no picket fencing, it just works.
There is of course the "falling off the cliff" and R2D2 sounds when on the fringe of repeaters but once you know the
limits of the local repeater it is great. Great mode and worth the effort.

ZL1TAP Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2012 21:05 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It works as a radio should i have it meanly for dstar.I do use it in crossband mode it easy to do and works well.

W2NLS Rating: 4/5 Jun 21, 2012 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this with the D-STAR option and it has worked well for me. I use third-party programming software which I found more capable than Icom's. The audio quality is excellent and I really like that you can switch to low power (for when I use my DVAP on D STAR). Used as a base station only I have had few problems.

My main three complaints with the radio (the reason I can't give it 5 stars):
1) The silly place they put the antenna input for the GPS. It is under the control head and if you plug in the GPS antenna you cannot have the control head attached to the radio. Not great for base station use.
2) Also be careful when you install the D STAR board as the little pictures they give you are dead wrong. They do not show that once the board is installed there are two screws that hold the board down, the pictorial just shows it plugging into the slot, no screws shown. Yes, easy to figure out but I almost reassembled the radio before I noticed the extra screws.
3) Manuals by their nature are usually pretty poor but Icom's are often a step above many others. Not the case here. The 2820H has one of the worst-translated and most difficult to understand and least logically laid out manual it has ever been my pleasure to hate.

Obviously none of the above are killer issues and the radio itself is exceptional -- so 4 out of 5.

KC0VOE Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2012 17:40 Send this review to a friend
4.5 Awesome mobile radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I give this radio a 4.5 - my only complaints are:

1 - The menu system is underwhelming, not fun to use and sometimes confusing. The screen real estate is under used. This thing has a huge dot matrix screen but Icom didn't really think through the menu designs. This is more of an issue when using dstar.
2 - I wish there was an LED or something to make it easy to see what band you are on with a simple glance.
3 - I wish the speaker was louder.

Other than that, I think this is a great radio. Even if you don't want to install the Dstar module. Diversity antenna port is pretty awesome and I hope the next model has this. I have had no problems with mine, the receiver is sensitive and sounds good. I would buy another one.

VE2YU Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2012 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased with radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have now had the 2820H for about 3 months. I must say at first I did not like the idea of the microphone not connected to the head as my Yaesu ft8800 was but after realizing that I am going to mount the radio on a homemade bracket above my rearview mirror in my corolla I was pleased they had done what they did. I do wish the extension cable was longer but it is not and they do not sell one longer so I cut the cable and extended it as I have it running in the ceiling to the trunk. I have experienced no inter-mod with this radio and I have only had good reports and the gps unit for dprs work very well along with the dstar capabilities. I am very pleased with this radio.