Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Navigator by Timewave - previously by US Interface Help

Reviews Summary for Navigator by Timewave - previously by US Interface
Navigator by Timewave - previously by US Interface Reviews: 61 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $369
Description: The Navigator is a high quality interface between the rig and the computer, for use in running the digital modes such as PSK31, Olivia, MFSK, Hellschreiber, MT-63, etc. It also works fine for SSTV using many popular software programs such as MMSSTV.

The Navigator interfaces to the rig using a USB port, thus it does not require a serial port on the computer. It provides CAT control to the rig via a serial connection from the Navigator to the rig. The Navigator is completely configured and defined in software, and future updates are expected to be flash-ROM updates that can be installed by the user.
More info: http://www.Navigator-Interface.com

You can write your own review of the Navigator by Timewave - previously by US Interface.

NX5MK Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2012 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Navigator with OSX - outstanding  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Outstanding product quality. Outstanding service. What more could you want for?
The problem I had to solve was to connect my MacBook Pro running OSX, to my Barrett 2090 HF manpack transceiver. Both US Interface and the Barrett USA office worked diligently and expeditiously to make the connection, necessitating the construction of a new interface cable. Before I had heard / read about the Navigator, I contacted some "well known" manufacturers of Amateur Radio interfaces, they did not even care to reply that they would not take on the job.
After sales support by both companies was also outstanding, my initial hook up problems (operator errors) were taken seriously and solutions to them were found in no time. You will not regret your purchase of the Navigator, or of the 2090.

WA3UOO Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2011 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Best Digital interface available  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased mine December 2009. Received excellent customer service and support from Clint. Now I find myself needing a new interface cable for the upgrade I just purchased- an FT-950. Clint had the cable in stock and shipped it the same day; Saturday no less. Installation of the supporting software and files and documentation takes some time, but if you take the time to read the instructions and take it step by step, it's not very difficult. I am using mine with HRD 5.0 beta and the Navigator works like it was made for HRD. Between the two, this has got to be among the best setups for computer assisted control of rigs and digital modes. This is very well built and engineered product which becomes evident when you open the box and examine it. Control knobs, for example, are setscrew types. Not low cost push-ons like I see on many products these days. Connectors on the rear panel are quality parts. The inside of this gem is amazing. I can fully recommend this product. That said it is not a low cost, cheap product. You get what you pay for and this digital interface delivers. Dig a little deep and you will be very happy.

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2011 10:16 Send this review to a friend
The ideal interface  Time owned: more than 12 months
I remember the developer of of US interface living not far from me in Maryland. Seemed like a lot of money at the time but was well worth it. Now I see the makers of Rigblaster is coming out with their "Advantage" unit which seems to be just like the US Interface. I need neither unit now since we use the ultimate radio for digital modes, the Flex Radio 5000A which uses virtual audio cables making for cleaner audio.

K3DCW Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2011 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch Product!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've used a variety of interfaces; from the SignaLink USB to the microHam USB Interface III & microKeyer II to the Navigator; both with a Yaesu FT-950 and an Elecraft K3, and on Windows and OS X. By far, the Navigator rules the roost.

The Navigator is built like a tank! The fit and finish on the unit is outstanding and the quality of the connectors, pots, LEDs and knobs are all top-tier. When you make an adjustment on a control, you get solid feedback and you can know that it will stay set until you make a change again. The cables ordered from US Interface for rig control are well made; however, if you want to make your own cable to save a few $$$, Clint provides schematics supporting most receivers.

I've used this interface with just about every program imaginable, and they all work wonderfully with no hiccups. From Fldigi, RUMlog, RUMped, SkookumLogger, Aether, MacLoggerDX, and more on OS X, to Ham Radio Deluxe, KComm, Digipan, JT65-HF, WSJT9, WSPR, MRP, Fldigi, N1MM, and more on Windows 7, the Navigator handles EVERYTHING you can throw at it with ease.

A VERY strong positive for me is Navigator's 100% support for Apple's OS X. All Mac ham radio programs can use this interface for full control of your rig. The CAT control, WinKey, and FSK keying all work 100% on OS X. Unlike other multifunction interfaces that require a third-party program for partial functionality on a Mac, all of the Navigator's functions are fully supported in OS X. Kudos to Clint for supporting the Mac ham radio community.

The Navigator is also supported by an email support group on Yahoo Groups. This group is noteworthy because of the relatively light message load. This isn't because of a lack of members, but rather it is due to a lack of problems with the Navigator. When a problem does creep up; however, Clint is quick to provide feedback and solutions to help out those in need.

In closing, if you are looking for a hi-quality multifunction interface with superior performance and ease of use, look no further than the Navigator. It may be pricier than most interfaces (although less than some) but it is worth every penny you spend and will last you for years and years.

W0ZS Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2011 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Shack consolidation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Navigator second hand about a year ago. It sure has simplified my cabling. One cable from Navigator to one usb computer port. No more multiple serial ports. I have rig control, digital interface, cw keyer, and a serial port for my rotor controller. Now its a matter of unplugging the usb cable from the computer and plugging it into a new computer when the time comes. By the way it does fsk keying for RTTY. The built in sound card and the pots for two line inputs is wonderful for dual receve. Tech support from Clint is excellent. In the rare event that this ones goes south, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one, new or used.

K6DHP Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2011 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Service, Superb Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have been using a Rigblaster Pro for about seven years. It is a good product, but the Navigator is clearly the next step - an all in one solution with fewer cables and a more elegant design. As others have said, if you want the best, you can go first class for just a few dollars more and get it with the Navigator. I just bought a new model with the new black finish and the latest WinKey chip. The Navigator comes with good installation instructions. Clint is very helpful and has promptly answered all my questions. I highly recommend this solution for using the digital modes!

73 de K6DHP

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2011 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent in every way  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a Navigator used based on Eham reviews, and the reviews are spot on! If you take time to carefully read the instructions and don't get into a hurry so when / if things don't quite go right you can say "What did I do wrong?" and back up a step, you'll have a perfect station control / interface.
The adjustable audio inputs and USB-based controls work flawlessly, at least with WinXP. I've run into some software applications that don't play well with each other, but it's never the fault of the Navigator. EVERY problem pointing to the Navigator I've had has been due to my own mistakes.
Clint will sell you a rig-specific interface cable at reasonable price and delivered quickly. Custom interface cables aren't a problem, and it really isn't like you couldn't make your own if you wanted to... I just don't like working with mini-DIN plugs so I buy my cables from Clint.
I work CW, and because the Navigator has the Winkey built in, I don't need anything else but my paddle.
I'm in the market for one or two more of these great boxes.

W2EG Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2011 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent interface; GREAT support  Time owned: more than 12 months
A fellow member of my contesting club, in recommending the Navigator, referred to it as "the Cadillac of interfaces." Now that I've owned one for nearly two years, I see what he meant. This made-in-the-USA interface is top notch all the way. It is well constructed of high quality components and materials (no cheap plastic case or wobbly-shafted pots here).

I use it very happily with my new K3 as I did previously with my Omni 6+. I do a fair amount of contesting, operating mostly CW and some digital modes. The Navigator has all the features I could want, including the WinKeyer USB keyer.

I first got mine about the time Glenn, W3GWW, became a silent key. Clint, KK7UQ, stepped right up and gave me all the help I needed to get set up and running on PSK, at that time a new mode for me. I have found Clint a pleasure to work with and unstinting in his time and assistance. He was always easy to get hold of and responsive to my questions. Recently, I got a new computer (running Win 7, 64 bit) and Clint was once again a big help in getting things up and running. (I should add that the Navigator works just fine with my new computer OS.) Clint also helped me with a custom cable for my TM-255A, interfacing with the DIN socket on the radio, while still allowing me to use the radio to key my 'brick' two meter amp. Clint was happy to send me (at no cost, of course), a CD with some updated software. (You could, I think, also download it on the web site.) It is good that the support is there to keep this unit up to date.

Although this company does not (I believe) advertise in QST, I suggest they are very worthy of your consideration. Look on their site; compare prices and features. This 'Cadillac' is not so expensive relative to other choices, considering what you get. It is the last interface I expect to own.

Finally, I add that I have no interest in this company, nor do I know (personally) anyone associated with the company. I'm just another well-satisfied customer.

W2PK Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2011 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Top-notch service matched by top-notch product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my Navigator for a few years, but recently changed computers and needed some assistance from Clint to get it comm-ported and set up properly. Over the course of two days, he spent probably an hour in not only getting everything working perfectly, but alsao introducing me to the Navigator's WinKey capability, a function that had always been somewhat of a mystery to me. I cannot think of another product - anywhere, of any kind - that is supported by this kind of service. It's beyond outstanding.

N6KZB Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2010 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Wow! What a find....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Solved all my soundcard needs and cleaned up cable mess too............

Within 30 minutes we were up and on the air. Followed the quick guide and the software installed just fine. All drivers assigned com ports. Then I went in and changed them to fit my needs. Real easy in Win7, and it remembers the ports when I boot up.

Now running my RMS software, MixW, and Airlink Express. All levels are set correctly. I just leave the computer sound settings at 100%, (where they always seem to default back to anyway), and I just use the 2 front panel controls on the Navigator for proper ALC and RX audio in. Rig control works well too, one USB cable is doing it all now.

The cables provided were really plug -n- play and worked with the Icom 756Pro3 as advertised.

The Navigator replaced my Signalink and Rig Blaster, which are good products, but didn't fit my particular needs.

I want to thank the company for a great product, and have to add that Clint, KK7UG, was very helpful on the sale and provided good information.

Final note, the old adage is true... "you get what you pay for"........

Adios, Mike n6kzb (xe2)