Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Navigator by Timewave - previously by US Interface Help

Reviews Summary for Navigator by Timewave - previously by US Interface
Navigator by Timewave - previously by US Interface Reviews: 65 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $369
Description: The Navigator is a high quality interface between the rig and the computer, for use in running the digital modes such as PSK31, Olivia, MFSK, Hellschreiber, MT-63, etc. It also works fine for SSTV using many popular software programs such as MMSSTV.

The Navigator interfaces to the rig using a USB port, thus it does not require a serial port on the computer. It provides CAT control to the rig via a serial connection from the Navigator to the rig. The Navigator is completely configured and defined in software, and future updates are expected to be flash-ROM updates that can be installed by the user.

You can write your own review of the Navigator by Timewave - previously by US Interface.

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2011 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent in every way  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a Navigator used based on Eham reviews, and the reviews are spot on! If you take time to carefully read the instructions and don't get into a hurry so when / if things don't quite go right you can say "What did I do wrong?" and back up a step, you'll have a perfect station control / interface.
The adjustable audio inputs and USB-based controls work flawlessly, at least with WinXP. I've run into some software applications that don't play well with each other, but it's never the fault of the Navigator. EVERY problem pointing to the Navigator I've had has been due to my own mistakes.
Clint will sell you a rig-specific interface cable at reasonable price and delivered quickly. Custom interface cables aren't a problem, and it really isn't like you couldn't make your own if you wanted to... I just don't like working with mini-DIN plugs so I buy my cables from Clint.
I work CW, and because the Navigator has the Winkey built in, I don't need anything else but my paddle.
I'm in the market for one or two more of these great boxes.
W2EG Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2011 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent interface; GREAT support  Time owned: more than 12 months
A fellow member of my contesting club, in recommending the Navigator, referred to it as "the Cadillac of interfaces." Now that I've owned one for nearly two years, I see what he meant. This made-in-the-USA interface is top notch all the way. It is well constructed of high quality components and materials (no cheap plastic case or wobbly-shafted pots here).

I use it very happily with my new K3 as I did previously with my Omni 6+. I do a fair amount of contesting, operating mostly CW and some digital modes. The Navigator has all the features I could want, including the WinKeyer USB keyer.

I first got mine about the time Glenn, W3GWW, became a silent key. Clint, KK7UQ, stepped right up and gave me all the help I needed to get set up and running on PSK, at that time a new mode for me. I have found Clint a pleasure to work with and unstinting in his time and assistance. He was always easy to get hold of and responsive to my questions. Recently, I got a new computer (running Win 7, 64 bit) and Clint was once again a big help in getting things up and running. (I should add that the Navigator works just fine with my new computer OS.) Clint also helped me with a custom cable for my TM-255A, interfacing with the DIN socket on the radio, while still allowing me to use the radio to key my 'brick' two meter amp. Clint was happy to send me (at no cost, of course), a CD with some updated software. (You could, I think, also download it on the web site.) It is good that the support is there to keep this unit up to date.

Although this company does not (I believe) advertise in QST, I suggest they are very worthy of your consideration. Look on their site; compare prices and features. This 'Cadillac' is not so expensive relative to other choices, considering what you get. It is the last interface I expect to own.

Finally, I add that I have no interest in this company, nor do I know (personally) anyone associated with the company. I'm just another well-satisfied customer.

W2PK Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2011 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Top-notch service matched by top-notch product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my Navigator for a few years, but recently changed computers and needed some assistance from Clint to get it comm-ported and set up properly. Over the course of two days, he spent probably an hour in not only getting everything working perfectly, but alsao introducing me to the Navigator's WinKey capability, a function that had always been somewhat of a mystery to me. I cannot think of another product - anywhere, of any kind - that is supported by this kind of service. It's beyond outstanding.
N6KZB Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2010 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Wow! What a find....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Solved all my soundcard needs and cleaned up cable mess too............

Within 30 minutes we were up and on the air. Followed the quick guide and the software installed just fine. All drivers assigned com ports. Then I went in and changed them to fit my needs. Real easy in Win7, and it remembers the ports when I boot up.

Now running my RMS software, MixW, and Airlink Express. All levels are set correctly. I just leave the computer sound settings at 100%, (where they always seem to default back to anyway), and I just use the 2 front panel controls on the Navigator for proper ALC and RX audio in. Rig control works well too, one USB cable is doing it all now.

The cables provided were really plug -n- play and worked with the Icom 756Pro3 as advertised.

The Navigator replaced my Signalink and Rig Blaster, which are good products, but didn't fit my particular needs.

I want to thank the company for a great product, and have to add that Clint, KK7UG, was very helpful on the sale and provided good information.

Final note, the old adage is true... "you get what you pay for"........

Adios, Mike n6kzb (xe2)
KF2GQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2010 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Two are better than one  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had my first Navigator since March of 2007. With the help of Glenn W3GWW, before he became a SK, I was on the air in the digital modes. Recently, I came upon a fellow ham selling his Navigator, and I brought it. The second Navigator is in my go kit along with the cable set for my brand of radio, that I purchased from Clint, KK7UQ. The level of customer support that I have encounted from this company, is far and above those of other company's in the same field.
WM5DX Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 07:23 Send this review to a friend
No more Tylenol.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have operated RTTY since the mid 90's using various equipment. Everything I have used, including one of the most popular interfaces, has been a pain to set up and get running, and keep running when changing radios or software. Gave me grief and headaches.
I bought the Navigator about a month ago. The software was easy to install and it set itself up with virtual com ports exactly as the manual said it should. I am really dumb when it comes to the technical aspects of setting up my logging programs so I called Clint for help. He gave me great guidance and talked me through every step.
I am using the Navigator and non pro Icom 746 with DX4WIN,MMTTY, Writelog, and Writelog with the MMTTY plug in. It does everything it should on every program.
I took digital photographs of every software setup screen for future reference.
I operated in the BARTG Sprint last weekend and ran a couple of hundred QSO's just loafing along for a few hours. The Navigator and software worked flawlessly. Decoded signals that I could hardly hear. Best piece of digital equipment I have ever owned. My shack is now devoid of a rats nest of cables and finally looks tidy. With previous interfaces I have had to label every cable and connection to the interface, computer and radio just to know where to reconnect if I move things around. Not anymore. I also notice that on some of the RTTY reflectors there a some pieces of equipment that are always coming up with queries by the owners who are having problems but I never see queries by Navigator owners. Go figure.
A great piece of equipment and terrific backup by Clint.
N8PVW Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2010 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Great unit-great people  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a Navigator from a friend when they first went on the market. Great unit. Worked perfectly. But this is about the people behind the product. I work for the federal government as a medical professional but have also volunteered to deploy on our agencies disaster team. I have a number of specialties besides medicine including communications. I volunteer as one of our agencies EMCOMM people. Primarily with SHARES but also as an amateur op. I volunteered to deploy to Haiti and was cleared and am currently in the que awating travel orders. I decided to take my FT 897D with me but no longer had my Navigator. I had given it to my older son. He is an officer in the U.S. military and took it to Iraq along with my first FT 897D when he was on his first deployment there. It and the radio are still floating about somewhere over in that part of the world as he donated them to some of his friends who are active duty and amateur ops. So I contacted Clint Hurd KK7UQ at US interface about buying a new unit and cable to take along to Haiti. Today Clint sent me an e-mail at work informing me that he and his wife are express shipping me the new Navigator and cable free of charge to take to Haiti. I have found that while such generosity may be rare in other areas, amateur radio is the exception. The hobby is loaded with people like Clint and his wife. My mission is primarily one of disaster relief not amateur radio. But if needed the unit will be put to good use. And will continue to serve on other missions. I have to not only give the product a 5. But Clint Hurd, his wife and the other folks at US Interface get a big 10. Thanks Clint.
G0DJA Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2010 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a Navigator for a while and it is one of a few items of Amateur Radio kit that I wouldn't part with.

It copes with all the digital modes that I throw at it, from HF through VHF to SHF and hasn't let me down yet. Computer control of my radios through it works without a problem.
NV8G Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2009 14:37 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having used a Signalink USB for nearly a year....And then going to this Navigator, I experienced a whole new world! The Navigator is superior in every way. I have a much cleaner waterfall, more signals and it works on ALL of the bands and on all the modes I have tried so far! My experience with the admin and tech support folks was also Excellent in every way! I just cannot recommend this item or these people highly enough! I give them the absolute highest rating possible. Don't waste yout time or money on a lesser unit. Get this one right from the get go. You will be glad you did!
W4II Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2009 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Interface!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This interface is terrific. One cable to the computer and one to the Orion II. And, equally important, the support received from Clint is outstanding!!