Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Icom CI-V Level Converter CT-17 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom CI-V Level Converter CT-17
Icom CI-V Level Converter    CT-17 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $139
Description: Computer to Icom rig Interface

You can write your own review of the Icom CI-V Level Converter CT-17.

W3DRY Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Reliable using Windows 7  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you have an RS-232 port on your Win7 computer, the old and reliable CT-17 is highly recommended. Why? It uses a rock-solid driver written by Microsoft (already loaded on your computer).

I experienced numerous blue-screen-of-death (BSOD) faults on my Win 7 computer while using one of the popular USB-UART rig interface devices. I traced the problem to the driver - silabser.sys (Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge). Most companies that sell USB rig control devices still recommend a version of this driver that is NOT certified for Win7. If you MUST buy a USB-type interface device, make sure it will operate with Version 6.5 of the CP210X/silabser.sys driver (which has been debugged to eliminate BSOD faults).

VE7BGP Rating: 3/5 Nov 15, 2011 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Now Old Technology & Pricy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a CT-17 now for 8 years when I got my second IC-751A that also had the Icom UX-14 Card. The CT-17 was old Technology back then in 2003. When I recently got a new Computer and moved to Windows 7 I got a card for my mother board that installed 2 DB-9 RS-232 Com ports for my Rotor EZ and CT-17 and I have not had any issues with Win 7 or Ubuntu 11.10 using those Comports. I have had poor success with my other IC-751A with aftermarket UX_14PX using the Prolific USB to RS-232 adapter. The UX-14 has to be Icom's longest running accessory I don't know why Icom has never updated their Pricy CT-17 they still charge enough for the CT-17 it should have been updated to the USB at least 2.0 for modern Computers. If anyone else is having Issues with their CT-17 try to get the Comport card mine only cost the same as 1 Prolific Adapter and works great for me. I rate it as 3 or OK because of the older Technology and what Icom charges for the CT-17 these Days. It is a solid 5 for its ability to run Multiple Icom Radios and ability to Computer program my Venerable Old T-7H Handie. I hope that helps.
Gerry VE7BGP

W9BDN Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2011 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Interface issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the CT-17 from AES along with a RTS-03 serial to USB adapter by RT Systems. I connected everything up and used Ham Radio Deluxe and had no problems accessing the 756 Pro III but in a couple of minutes it disconnected. Unplugged the USB, closed the file, plugged the UBS back in, and connected. It works for a few minutes but keeps disconnecting. I then tried a different serial to USB adapter I got from our IT dept. at work and works perfect and stays connected so keep in mind all serial to USB adapters are not the same. The HRD display is awesome. This is my first step to Remote Base operation, wish me luck.

73's, Steve W9BDN

W1ZK Rating: 0/5 Sep 10, 2011 16:03 Send this review to a friend
A time to die!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The CT-17 is very good at what it does. I have had one for well over ten years. The CT-17 has been in ICOM's inventory a lot longer than that. Close to 20 years now! A 25 pin level converting RS-232 serial device. (BTW, only 3 pins of the 25 are used, and that is counting ground!) Meanwhile, the rest of world switched to ethernet, USB and firewire. I still use my proud old IC-781, as well as it's newer cousin the IC-7700. Almost 20 years in age between the two. Both rigs still use that RS-232 serial through a CT-17 level converter. Sure, it works, as long as you have adapters for computers built after 2003/4 or so. Hey ICOM, kill this thing, put it out of our misery, soon!

K1VI Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2011 03:26 Send this review to a friend
Solved the Windows 7 problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When my XP-based PC died, I upgraded to a new Windows 7 machine. The USB-to-serial adapter that I used successfully for many years (Prolific based) with my IC 756 Pro 3 and HRD, just wouldn't play with Win7. Worked OK for a few minutes, then froze, requiring reboot. Upgraded drivers, fiddling with USB power management settings ("always on") did nothing. Although I was not happy to part with $139 when I knew the CT-17 could be built much cheaper (see other reviews), it solved the problem totally. Now I have 3 of the 4 ports available, and will hook up my older IC735 as well.

VE3LNY Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2011 14:36 Send this review to a friend
OK but dated  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one of these for many years, and it has always worked as expected. I've used it to control an R7000 and a 746. My main complaint was the price and, at first, lack of documentation (later solved by writing to ICOM). Finding a serial port for it has become a lot harder, and recently I've found a source of inexpensive USB adapters: http://stores.ebay.ca/AFFORDABLE-RADIO?_trksid=p4340.l2563 which may be of interest to some.

PA3BKL Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2011 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Icom CT-17 USB version!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi there,

As not many laptop have serial interfaces these days, I googled and found a great CT-17 'look-alike' that has USB connectivity, it even be used to control FOUR ICOM and/or Yaesu units!!

Here is the link:

I'm very happy with it. Works great with HRD!!

73's de PA3BKL

M0MGF Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2009 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent accessory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The first one of these that I tried was a used item, and I was unable to get it to do what it should. I eventually discovered that the 9-17pin serial lead with it was defective. Too late by then though, I had already had my tantrum with the supplier and was returning it.
I then purchased a new unit from a different supplier, and ensured that the serial lead worked. This unit is a lovely addition, enabling me to have remote control of the Radio and the Steppir unit by Ham Radio Deluxe.
There is not much to the unit itself to go wrong. Simple 12-14VDC to power it, and the connections of a 1/8inch phono lead to your radio peripherals, and the serial lead to the computer.
I am of the opinion that this unit is a must have for any ICOM owner that utilises a computer.

K4FX Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2008 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently did like the other poster and built one of these off the parts list and put it in a small case

Total cost from Mouser less 1/8" female connectors and the case, $14 bucks including shipping, the homebrew one works fine, no rf problems at legal limit, a good design.

AB2YS Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2008 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Well made, works perfectly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yes, there are cheaper interfaces out there. I was using a homebrew interface with no external power, and it would occasionally give me troubles. I built another, meanwhile I tried a USB interface but it wouldn't install properly on my desktop. I finally decided to just spend the extra $$ and buy the Icom interface, and I'm not disappointed at all. Having the extra inputs is a nice option for future expansion, it works flawlessly at 19200 with HRD, and it's all housed in a powder coated steel case.

If you really want or need a serial interface with the ability to handle more than one rig this one is top notch.