Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Grado SR60 Help

Reviews Summary for Grado SR60
Grado SR60 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $69.00
Description: Vented diaphragm Non Resonant air chamber Standard copper voice coil wire Standard copper connecting cord mini plug with 1/4" adaptor Tranducer type dynamic Operating principle open air Frequency response 20-20 SPL 1mV 98 Normal impedance 32ohms Driver matched db 0.1
More info: http://www.gradolabs.com

You can write your own review of the Grado SR60.

AC8YJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2016 19:41 Send this review to a friend
listen very well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had SR 60's for years, about a year and half a year ago I started using them for ham radio/ SW listening after getting grado 325's. I cannot begin to tell you how many hard to hear DX I get off these, grado's are made to maximize mid range frequencies, for example: the human voice, rock music...etc

They are under $90 for those on a budget

If not using them for radio, listen to some rock music, you will be blown away how good they are.
The 60's don't have great bass, so not all that good for rap.

Grado doesn't advertise but trust ne I've had chesterfields and Heil's and listened to Bose headphones...Grado blows them away.

KI0Z Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2015 21:41 Send this review to a friend
Oustanding  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a huge number of headphones which I HAVE USED AND TESTED OVER MY 50 YEARS AS A HAM , B.C. engineer ,A/C Mechanic, Avionics Tech 39 years. etc. listening TO K1N on 40 from 7pm to 330AM I tried every earphone I have on them it was just a mess ,even the K1N op was having problems it was the worst mess I can remember. My bag of headphones are in a huge fleet farm bag too many to count ,yet all the popular good ones hams have grown to know . well trying them all with no help in this quagmire on noise and many voices ONLY ONE HEADPHONE ROSE TO THE OCATION WITH excellent copy was the new Pair of GRADO labs SR60-I. THEY gave me some true copy NO OTHER HEADPHONE LET ME COPY OH SO WELL AS THE GRADO SR60-I . ALL I CAN SAY IS AMAZING AND WHY DID I NOT HAVE THESE YEARS AGO I HAVE HAD EVERY TYP/BRAND IN THE SHACK... NO WONDER THOSE WITH $20K & UP AUDIO SYSTEMS USE THEM AND THE DEALEARS THAT SELL HIGH END SOUND SYSTEMS ONLY SELL GRADO HEADPHONES WAY MORE COSTLY THAN THE ONES I USE . GL 73 DAVID KI0Z..

AA7LG Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2007 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the Grado SR-60 for ham use when “I don’t want isolation” such as when speaking into a microphone. They are not designed to isolate the listener from the background therefore one should not find that as a fault of the headphones but a feature. They are very efficient and have a low Z input which makes them very easy to drive. I use an aftermarket foam ear pad which makes them reasonably comfortable for moderate periods of listening. They are a full range headphone designed for music and they do a creditable job for their inexpensive price. I find the Grado headphones to be excellent when working SSB because a headphone which isolates you from the background makes it difficult to speak at a proper level because you can't properly hear yourself speak. The near total occlusion caused by canal phones makes it very difficult to use a microphone but when I want isolation for CW I use Etymotic canal phones. Canal phones give you almost total isolation from background noise. 73, Bob AA7LG

K5WOB Rating: 3/5 Mar 4, 2007 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Could Be Better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Grados for close to ten years now. I'm also a big fan of Grado cartridges for turntables, though I no longer listen to vinyl. The SR60s are certainly better than average when used for listening to music, but they leave a lot to be desired when used for ham radio listening; they are terribly uncomfortable after about half an hour, and they don't isolate the listener from noise; they are an "open ear" design, so you will likely hear plenty of distracting ambient noise.

The discomfort stems from the inadequately padded metal head band that exerts pressure on the crown of my head. It becomes downright painful after a while. I've tried all sorts of compromises, bending the band, wrapping the band with some cloth, but nothing has worked very well.

Verdict? High quality sound for a good price, but not worth it in my opinion.

Right now, my favorite headphones for ham usage (100% CW) are the Shure E3C in-ear 'phones. Excellent isolation and very high quality audio. They are comfortable once you get used to them. I prefer using the foam inserts rather than the silicone earpieces; foam provides a perfect expanded fit after a few seconds, and even better isolation than silicone.

N4TD Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2007 07:56 Send this review to a friend
I like 'em  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a work colegue with stage sound and audio recording studio experience. Several times he told me his favorite headphones were made by Grado. At the time I had never heard of Grado Labs. A little research taught me that Grado Labs is indeed a highly respected headphone manufacturer. After reading a bunch of reviews, I ordered Grado model SR60 headphones. The SR60 are fairly light-weight, open air style headphones. Being open air design, they will not block external sound like the closed closed style headphones. So, if you are looking for haedphones to block external noise, you should find another model. I found the SR60 phones well contructed, relatively sturdy, and comfortable. I was pleased that the cord is much sturdier than other light-weight phones I have used. The sound quality was excellent when used with each of my three HF rigs. One test I find important when trying new headphones is CW performance. Some "hi fi" market headphones I have tried in the past had poor impulse response. The relatively fast rise time of CW resulted in very noticeable distortion and/or diaphragm rattles or buzz. To me the SR60's CW performance is excellent with pleasant, clean sound. The Grado SR60 headphones will see much use in my shack.