Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM 241 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM 241
Kenwood TM 241 Reviews: 41 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2m FM Transceiver
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/fm_txvrs/tm241a.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM 241.

VK4KX Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2012 04:06 Send this review to a friend
Small size big ears  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't remember when I bought my little TM-241 but it's been a great little radio for many years, and has great sensitivity.
I have never had any trouble with programming it unlike others who have on this site.
In VFO mode press the MHZ button to get your starting frequency then dial up the Frequency, input your offset - or + then hit "F" and dial up the Channel number and Hit "MR" if you need a sub audible Tone input that before going to the "F" and save part.
My only gripe is the 21 channels aren't enough for all the repeaters available to me at my QTH, so I saved the ones I use most and use the VFO for the rest.
I need the Shift button if anyone has a dead radio.

thanks

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2012 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Great working little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine a few years ago since I knew it would fit the only place I could put it in my car. I had a TM-231A in my other car and the TM-241A is not much different.

The radio works fine on all power levels (5, 10 or 50 watts)and is easily programmed. The only problems with this radio is it only has 20 memory channels and relies on an internal battery for memory backup. The original design for the battery is very poor and I think done that way so one had to send the radio back to Kenwood and spend even more money to have the battery replaced. I modified mine to make the battery easy to replace. This may need done on all of them since I doubt Kenwood would even support a radio this old.

I rated it a 4 because of the battery issue and that it uses and LCD display rather than LEDs so the display will die if you live in a cold climate or will not be easily seen with polarized sunglasses.

KC0VOE Rating: 0/5 Apr 25, 2012 17:17 Send this review to a friend
FAIL  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yet another Kenwood radio that failed. I dont think Kenwood knows how to solder. I would not buy another one.

KC7YRA Rating: 4/5 Feb 3, 2010 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Not bad!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up my 241A from a hamfest. It was $20. I wanted a "beater" radio to put in my off roading vehicle.

This little radio was great. I beat the crap out of it. COVERED in dirt, wet, hit with objects. It kept on ticking. Never a problem. Always on the dash of my vehicle. Didn't matter if it was 120 degrees, it worked fine.

I eventually had to sell it due to financial problems (Got $110 on ebay).

The reason for the 4 you ask? It was an absolute NIGHTMARE to program. It was the most counter intuitive, convoluted programming scheme in the history of radios.

Other than that though, it was a winner.

KB0UQX Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Virtually Indestructible  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my TM-241A new in 1996, just after I got my ticket, for mobile use. Not long afterward, after the warranty expired, the display went south. I had a well known SK that has repaired many rigs take a look at it and he said to retire it to a base unit. I later took it apart and discovered all it needed was to shim the board forward so the display plug engages better. After this very minor mod, this rig has been totally trouble free. It's even fallen off the dash onto the floor many times due to our rough forest service road. It seems to be virtually indestructible. I just purchased another TM-241A with a display problem and repaired it for use in another vehicle of ours. They don't have all the bells and whistles the new rigs have but that's ok by me. They do everything I need.

I do have three newer dual band rigs but prefer my old TM-241A's due to their ruggedness and simplicity of operation.

KB2FCV Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2010 23:44 Send this review to a friend
Glad I checked here!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a TM-241A that was given to me over 10 years ago because it 'did not transmit'. Sure enough, I tested it with the stock mic and nothing happened. It received perfectly fine. I put it in a box and forgot about it. That was 10+ years ago. I found it earlier today and decided to look it up here on eham. Low and behold I read about mic issues. On a whim, I shorted ptt to ptt ground and the radio puts out power just fine! I suppose I'll pick up a new mic up for it. I'm not sure what I'll do with it otherwise.. good little backup 2 meter rig.

KE4ZHN Rating: 3/5 Mar 10, 2009 01:26 Send this review to a friend
Ok with some issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a TM 241A brand new when I first got my ticket. It worked fine for a couple years and then got the dreaded display issue. I was able to coax the display to work but it would occasionally still act up. The receive and transmit was good, but the microphone was a piece of junk. It had a piece of foam in it to actuate the PTT switch inside the mike! I had to fix it because the mike wouldnt TX anymore. This wasnt a horrible rig but the quality wasnt what I would expect from Kenwood to be honest.

K5YC Rating: 2/5 Mar 9, 2009 20:55 Send this review to a friend
Bad radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Shortly after purchasing radio microphoe failed. Then display went. Sent radio off to be
fixed. Came back broken. I found problems
and fixed radio promptly selling it to someone
else before other trouble. Can not recommend
this radio.

KI4SDY Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2007 20:13 Send this review to a friend
THESE ARE GREAT LITTLE RADIOS!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A good powerful little radio with excellent
receive and transmit. Always get good audio
reports. No display problems or issues with
the mike. I don't know what more you could ask
for? Mine was marked TM-241A.

Later appeared as the ADI AR-147 with controls
in the same place and similar features. I have
one of those too and it has been a great radio
as well.

N1FMP Rating: 4/5 Oct 5, 2007 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Tough simple radio in spite of lousy mic and crazy display.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three. The first one I got used when it still hurt to drill a hole in the roof of my "new" 1987 Ford F-150. The second one I got (brand new) to install in my wife's car (mid nineties), the last I got at a hamfest three or four years ago.

All three microphones failed after a few years of use. One totally dead, one no PTT and one no audio on transmit. All three radios have had the "loose front assembly connector" display problem. One required a battery replacement (against all good advice I replaced it with one from Radio Shack by soldering braid to the battery - wearing safety glasses of course).

I have replaced the MC-44 mic's (which are discontinued by Kenwood and were trash), with various 500-600 Ohm dynamic mics. One I replaced with a Trio brand that had the correct connector, the PTT, UP and Down buttons were even wired correctly ($5 at a flea market). The others I replaced with old 6-pin Kenwood mics that needed to have the connectors changed. I used the 8 pin connectors from the defective MC-44's.

I hadn't used the dial pads for many years because the phone patch on our local repeater hasn't been in use for years. That might be an issue for someone that needs the touch-pad. Power output seems very sensitive to line/antenna mis-match, but that's a good thing.

The radios seem bullet proof (except for the crazy dial problem). After years of bouncing around in pickup trucks, and my 1987 Jeep, they still work. They are a bargain used in spite of lousy mic and crazy display.

They have very nice audio in receive and have always gotten good signal reports in transmit, The audio may have improved with the dynamic mic's. I especially like the large clear display, and simple operation. I am one of those guys that can't run a VCR (or should I say DVD) remote. I don't use most of the features on most of the radios I own because I can't remember how to use them minutes after figuring out how. For me the fewer bells and whistles the better.

These are my kind of radios.
Ed. N1FMP