Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM 241 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM 241
Kenwood TM 241 Reviews: 41 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2m FM Transceiver
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/fm_txvrs/tm241a.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM 241.

WA6GON Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2007 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine so long I cannot remember when I bought it new. Had to be mid 90s. Used it mobile for a time and during packet heyday it was my home packet station connected to a PK88. The last six years it was in storage until I finally put it back on the air as a packet rig. Our local ARES is starting a packet net for reporting neighborhood issues after a severe storm. I had the same mic problem. That was caused by the foam Kenwood used to make the PTT button spring back. I fixed it myself replacing their foam with new foam with an equally springy quality. Never had the display problem but then I did have it mobile very long. It just seems to keep on working.

KD7TDA Rating: 3/5 Jul 9, 2006 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
My TM-241A has worked good. The mic has been a problem. I have had it repaired and now it is not working again. The ptt button is the problem. I really don't have any complaints about the radio itself though.

W0PPK Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2004 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Exellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Has worked flawlessly! Tricky to program but still like it fine. Good power and modulation reports. Love the small footprint. Would prefer the display to light up and stay lit when power on.

73's Bob W0PPK

N8LU Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2004 16:37 Send this review to a friend
TM 241 Great Radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a TM 241 for many years....since it was new. It is a great radio. However, I recently considered changing the lithium battery for the memory back-up. I received the battery from the dealer. However, I can not find the battery in this rig to change!!! Does anyone know where it is??

It is working, so I do not need to change it...I just thought I would for PM. I have changed memory back-up lithium batteries before, but I can not find this one to change!!

Dave Lathrop, N8LU radioN8LU@juno.com

KE4MOB Rating: 3/5 Mar 10, 2004 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Display finally FIXED!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for about 4 years now and been suffering with an intermittent display. It will work for a couple of months, then go out. After reseating the connector for the hundreth time, I finally resorted to using a needle and small jewelers screwdriver to gently pry up the contacts inside the connector on the front board to snug up the contacts.

Imagine my surprise when I applied pressure to one side of the connector and the other side of the connector lifted up off the board! The display connector on the front panel is surface mounted, and it apparently didn't have enough solder on the pads to secure the connector and make a good, solid electrical connection. A little work with a 0.7 mm tipped soldering iron and voila! The display is alive for good.

Moral of the story: after you have checked the contacts inside the connector, check the connection between the connector and the circuit board. You might be surprised.

This radio is definitely a workhorse....the only detractor is that darn display.

KE4HEN Rating: 3/5 Oct 23, 2003 22:48 Send this review to a friend
241 problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a 241 which I sold for parts in 2002. I purchased the radio in 98 on the internet. It was a decent radio for the most part. As everyone else states, the display was wierd. Seems to have a mind of it's own at times. It had solid performance before the RF module went out. The part was around $60, so I cut my losses and sold on ebay for parts. I used it as a primary base rig for it's life. I own alincos and yaesu now. Kenwoods have a traditionally loud audio modulation, as the 241 does. Always had good reports on sound quality.

N3NDW Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2003 20:16 Send this review to a friend
A GREAT Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used about 6 years ago and had good service from it although I knew that the early models had display problems. Mine did not develop the display problem for a couple of years. When my display started to act up,I sent email back and forth with Kenwood about this being an ongoing problem with all of their TM-241's, and that they should fix this at no charge. I could get no help. I finally called them and got a real nice lady who said to send it back, that they were repairing this problem at no cost. I sent mine back with a note that I also had an intermittant Xmit problem. I got the radio back in about 10 days. The xmit problem was still there, but the display was corrected. I returned the radio to Kenwood with a note that they forgot to look at the xmit problem. They returned the radio with a new mike at no cost. Just Great people to deal with. I had a 261A, but found this radio eaiser to program on the road. I tried to sell it once for $100. and no one would buy it. I put it back in my truck. It is a comfortable radio to use on the road. Always good audio, good receive, and good output. If you find one laying around for under $100. buy it as a spare for when the high end radio your using crashed on you and you need to get back on the air. Its a very good investment.

VE7NRM Rating: 4/5 Jul 6, 2003 00:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio now for 11 years and it was the first radio I bought after I got my licence. I have to say it has been the best radio I have owned. The display goes haywire once in a while but it is liveable. I have just encountered a new problem though, when I transmit all there is, is a bunch of noise. Still working on the trouble shooting.

N9JTW Rating: 4/5 Jun 30, 2003 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Not Bad...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my TM-241A back in October used off of Ebay. Its a great simple 2m single band rig. The recieve is good, the transmit is great, and the speaker is nice and loud (its in my car). I can't say exactly how old it is, but I haven't experienced any of the problems listed in other reviews. Granted, it does only have 20 memories and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the newer single bands have, but I like that. Its simple to program, use, and has a great display. I hope it serves me for many years to come.

ON4MGY Rating: 2/5 Jun 28, 2003 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Same problem as everyone  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I bought this transceiver in 1999, it worked great for me. After placing it in the car, problems began. From time to time the display is fooling , and most of the time that's when I just need the radio. The display really causes a lot of trouble. I'll guess me next mobile 2m transceiver will be a yaesu or an alinco.