Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Tokyo Hy-Power HC-200AT Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HC-200AT
Tokyo Hy-Power HC-200AT Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $275
Description: 200-watt Auto Tuner for HF/6m, 2 antennas plus long wire, SWR/PWR meter
More info: http://www.tokyohypower.com

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HC-200AT.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2013 14:10 Send this review to a friend
FATEST TUNE IN THE WORLD?  Time owned: more than 12 months
The reason why this unit only has 10 memories: BECAUSE IT IS SO DAMN FAST. THEY MAY NOT EVEN BE NEEDED!. I am now using the tuner with my new IC7200. I noticed that the price keeps slipping up more and more. STILL WORTH IT! This tuner could be used on NASA space missions, it's that good. Fast, accurate, indestructible. If Godzilla destroyed Toyko Hy Power, (anything is possible) all their gear would probably still work. My tuner and amp were made before the nuclear disaster, so they do not glow in the dark like other units. Buy one and be amazed on every single tune. Enjoy.

KF7QLQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2013 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned for about 18 months. I use it to match a Zero-five 10-40 Ground plane Vertical. The interface to my IC-7000 utilizes the AH-4 Icom interface, so tuning is simple and automatic as well as making it portable. Build is very high quality. Its price is higher than tuners in its class but I believe you get what you pay for.

SM2FYZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2012 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Fix for my Balcony Buddipole  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been looking around for a autotuner
which can tune both longwires, "shortwires", dipoles feed via koax and Zep antennas (you need e.g a balun HLB-100 from THP for the Zep).

A year ago i got an amplifier HL-45B for my FT-817ND from THP and it was really something which was extremely good built.

So did see that THP also have a autotuner
which works from 2-200 W.

So far tested/autotuned with my Buddipole on balcony and it solves all bad SWR. Just now my Buddipole sharp tuned for 14 MHZ but it can be tuned all hambands with the HC-200AT
3.5-28 Mhz. Can not say that it make the antenna better on other bands than 14 Mhz but i can at least work some EU anytime "of freq"(10-28 MHz) if running 100 W.

Good looking antenna tuner, very fast tuning (you think something is wrong because it tunes very fast!).

Start your tuning with low power 5-15 W and this antenna tuner solves most SWR problems.

Remember that an antenna tuner do not make your antenna better on other bands than which it was constructed for if not using a good old Zep.

Great product from Japan!

/ Ulf (SM2FYZ, 8S2Z, 7S4Z)

M0DSO Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2012 11:18 Send this review to a friend
The best!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned many antenna tuners over the years.
The last one was an MFJ -993 auto atu.
This Tokyo HC-200AT is extremely well engineered, simple to use and tunes lightning quick! It is superior by far to any other ATU I have ever used including the aforementioned MFJ.
Just be careful not to tune up using more than 20 watts.
It is the best!

WA4HKY Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2012 08:27 Send this review to a friend
A Masterpiece  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THP hit a grand slam with this tuner. Works flawlessly and looks awesome! Had LDG AT200PRO and it was fine, but the HC200AT is a smoother operator. The ergonomics are spot on and tuning is fast. I am not knocking the competition, although, IMO- this is the BEST tuner investment I have made in 24 years of hamming. It is that good!

BTW- Purchased new at HRO/Atl. Best on the web! :-) ...

Regarding any piece of equipment- Read the manual thoroughly. Follow the instructions and warnings to the "T."

Remember- Anything mechanical can fail- Including the OPERATOR.

KK7XE Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine set up yesterday in some miserable weather, but that's the norm for antenna projects. Sorry to read the previous post, for I'm having great success with this tuner. Had an Icom AH-4, and it was great, but wanted more flexibility, and this provides it. Using it with my Icom 7200. My antenna is somewhat of an inverted-L. 20' of mast and about 60' of wire going from the vertical portion over 30' to another mast, then out another 35' or so to a tree. The vertical part is mounted at the base of where I had a vertical some time ago, so am using the ground system that is still in place. About 30 radials in various lengths up to 60'. I also put a 1:1 balun at the base. How's it work? Perfect. I bought the cable to interface with my 7200 and it tunes from 10-80 which is all I use. If I don't like what I see, I hit the tune button again on radio, and it seems to fine tune it. The 10 memories are not something that bothers me, for it's no trouble to tune it, and it's quick. All in all, very pleased and will experiment with some other wire when the WX gets better. I must say, I have been quite fortunate with the hobby and products I have purchased through the years. This tuner is another fine example of great technology combined with good looks for electronics, and is fun to use. Yes, I do recommend it 100%.

K0GV Rating: 1/5 Mar 5, 2012 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Poor experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The fit and finish are excellent, the user interface, unit operation and manual, in my experience, are poor.

I've now used both the LDG AT-200Pro and this unit. The LDG sounds like it is going to fall apart with all the relay clicking and clanking going on while in tuning mode. I wanted a more refined tuner in the shack and bought this based on Eham reviews.

My antenna is a long dipole, about 185 feet long, up 40 feet in the trees, fed by 450 ohm ladder line, into a Comtek (DX Engineering) 1:1 current balun, then a six foot stub of RG-8/U coax to the tuner. The tuner was Earth grounded with tinned braid and was tuned using no more than 20W input at all times. I expected great things with the addition of the THP tuner.

The HC-200AT would not tune on several bands. Often I would push the tune button and it would simply flash between the red and green tune/swr LEDs, with no tuning action going on, even though the SWR was very high into the rig. There was no mention in the poor Japanese-English manual as to what this flashing meant.

From a human interface perspective the unit is a bit off. For instance, the "tune" button is also the "bypass" button. If you press "tune" for less than 0.3 seconds, the tuner goes to bypass mode without tuning. I think this is backwards from the way it should operate. A long press should mean bypass, while a short press should mean what you want the unit to do day in and day out, tune the antenna.

When the unit did tune, it was hit and miss on how well it tuned. The SWR was always below 2.5:1 on bands it would tune, but I was expecting better. Some bands would tune very close to 1:1, some 2.5:1 and some not at all.

So it is back to the LDG. It is noisy, and its user interface is also odd,with all the flashing bar graph LEDs having some non-intuitive meaning, but it will auto tune without my having to push any buttons (you have to push the tune button on the THP tuner, this is a problem if one operates a rig remotely), it shows me real time power and swr at the same time, and it will let me manually tweak a tune for best SWR on the rig, then store this setting in memory. The THP does not allow for tweaking a tune. The LDG has many tuner setting memories, the THP only has ten.

I don't want to sound like a pitchman for LDG. The LDG unit is nice, but the THP is truly elegant in fit and finish. Very classy, very well built. I wish it would have worked out, but alas, at least at my station, no.

Darryl
K0GV

KB2WXV Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2012 08:55 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
purchased this tuner used WOW it does what it is suppose to do.will load anything even my 17m dipole on 160m (only had 15 watts out) but it worked.had ldg in the past and they are good units,but this is superior over them,quit,stable,and looks good,easy to use.
if you are looking for an automatic tuner and have the oppertunity to buy one of theese dont hesitate. not many are sold used because i think most hams love them and keep them.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2011 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Just went up $30: Still worth it.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I guess everyone is thinking that I like this tuner. No. I LOVE THIS TUNER. It allows me to use my indoor attic dipole antenna when other tuners fail, including my twelve hundred dollar Palstar Auto AT! If you check out my station on QRZ.COM (N0YXE) you will see a small transceiver hooked up to the HC-200AT in the middle of the desk. I just noticed that the retail price jumped up thirty bucks. Don't worry, it's still worth every cent. I think that it is perhaps the finest STANDARD POWER auto tuner in the world. I don't think anything can touch it for ease of use, quality, and outstanding design. Enjoy!

WA8HDG Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2011 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got it today (6-15-2011) I like the smooth and quick operation. I had the LDG 200 Pro but this is far better and less noisy! The only thing "wrong" I must remember to turn the power down so I don't burn it up! or the airwaves too!