Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-941D Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-941D
MFJ-941D Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 10M through 160M antenna tuner with SWR metering, antenna switch, and 4:1 balun.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-941D.

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2014 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Compact for its time  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got it used on Ebay last year, came with original receipt from 1990 for $110, Ha. Added LED meter illumination, works great and could easily be used mobile or portable up to 300W as it is nice and compact.

Now relegated to back up to my 962C since upping power.

I have to say most of my reviews so far have been 5's, but that is due to a lot of research and reading, including the Eham reviews. I've found the overall ratings to be quite accurate. Thanks!

KE4SWC Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2012 07:51 Send this review to a friend
oldie but a goodie  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked this item up at an estate sale in poor condition - it was dirty and dented all over.

After a good cleaning I hooked it up and the meter still worked!! The inductor worked as it should and so did both variable caps! After some massaging of the metal case to get the bad dents out - she looked pretty good.

I took her to a local radio shop to see about calibration. We tested it on the bench and it was almost spot on with both power and SWR. We tweaked it a bit and it is faithfully tuning an OCF dipole at 100watts quite often.

I wouldn't trade it at all!

MI3LVZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2009 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Works a treat.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I paid 30 for mine from Ebay, not bad condition and use it to tune a CB vertical antenna down to 20 mtrs for my old FT101ZD. Cant really say much more about the old gal but for 30 im bloody delighted...

K9FON Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2008 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Works and works well!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using one that i borrowed from a local ham to tune the input of an amplifier(Swan MK II) that doesn't not have a tuned input. My Icom 746's internal tuner quit for 160/80 and 40 meters and the rig folded back with only a 1.5-1 swr going into the amp. With the 941 i can tune the input SWRS down to a 1.1-1 and the rig and amp are both happy.
Im thinking i'll buy the new version of the 941 soon.

WB7WCB Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2008 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Great unit....really!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wanted to add my experience with a great little tuner. I used to work for VOA in Delano CA (now defunct). We had an old kenwood something-1000 receiver. Our station was a transmitter facility, with BBC 250 Kw transmitters going into a 27-db gain curtain. I could tune out these and tune in the 12-noon net in Redding CA. To say I was impressed is an understatement. A worthwhile addition to any shack.

N8ULP Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2008 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Very good unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have had this little jewel since 1992 and i have not had the first problem with it yet. just dug it back out of the closet after (well forever) and dusted it off and it still works as good as the day i bought it. i use it on 75 meters with my ts520s kenwood and feed it with 450ohm ladder line into a 275 foot loop and it works great on all bands. tried something silly with it once thought i was going to blow it up but i actually made a contact on 40 meters with it loading up into 2 55 steel trash drums! had about 20 ft of the mini8 coax center to one can and shield to the other one and was 5 by 9 into N Carolina!!! If you can pick one of these up cheap i would! Thx and 73 N8ULP

KC0ZZH Rating: 3/5 Aug 4, 2008 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Decent tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this tuner for $30 at a local hamfest.

Unit is fairly large for a mobile/low power tuner. PWR/SWR button I don't think was needed due to already having an FWD/REV meter. Seems to do OK at best. Directions are a bit vague in the manual I think. Tunes what I need it to so can'[t complain much there.

For the price I don't think it was a bad deal, but anything over what I paid for it I wouldn't have been to happy.

W5LXG Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2008 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I apologize to MFJ.For years I have cursed them and every MFJ item I bought.My 941D has proven to be quite the exception.I use the tuner to match a very short end fed wire on 80 and 30 meters.The 941D easily provides an apparent perfect match on those bands and reports indicate the RF is getting out. I found this used tuner on eBay at a steal of price. To my surprise,nothing was loose,missing or rattling around inside.Twiddle the two caps and "1:1" comes up PDQ.I am afraid to look inside the case preferring to just leave well enough alone. Some innards of MFJ gear defies description.

WD6GLA Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2007 15:16 Send this review to a friend
XLNT little tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this guy new from HRO back in 1990 so its getting a bit long in the tooth at 17 years , but its been a darn good tuner . I've run it on all my rigs at one time or another and never a problem with a lot of different antennas . The controls are still tight and feel nice . I've looked inside and its well built without the sometimes rats nest wiring and quality control issues that some people have complained about with MFJ products . Also I dont abuse or run my equipment beyond their ratings so maybe thats why I've had good luck over the years with all my gear . This long discontinued model has the older style single needle SWR 30/300 watt movement , internal 4:1 balun ( no built in dummy load however ) and a 12 position inductor switch with seperate tuning capacitors so it loads up coax , end fed wires , tuned feeders easily . You can match up almost anything within reason. If you are in need of a flexible low power 10/160 tuner and can find a nice used 941D by all means do so . This one will do the job for you .

KB0HAE Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2007 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This tuner was donated to me by a friend. He had loaned it to another ham, and I think the other ham thought he was going to get to keep the tuner and part it out. When I got the tuner, the meter was rattling around inside, with 1 wire broken off of the circuit board, the knob was pulled off (it was in the package though) and the mounting hardware was missing from the Antenna variable capacitor. It also has some marks on the face, and a dent on one side. This tuner has obviously had a hard life!

After I re-soldered the meter wire onto the board, remounted the meter with some clear silicon sealer, scrounged mounting hardware, mounted the Antenna control, and pressed the knob back on. the tuner was mechanically sound. No problems with the spacing of the capacitor plates, although the contact on the back of the Transmitter capacitor was loose. I fixed that and cleaned the capacitor contacts, the antenna and inductance switches, and coax connectors with DeOxit D5. The tuner now works great! It took a little work, but I can't complain for the price. It tunes my random wire antenna very well on all bands. Tuning is a little tricky on some bands but it just takes a little fidling to figure out. I also added 2 12v bulbs to light the meter. They are controlled with a DPDT switch with a center off positioin. The tuner did not originally come wit a meter light. Lighting the meter makes it much easier to read.

The repairs took maybe 2 hours. Obviously if this tuner can be brought back to perfect functioning after the abuse it suffered, its pretty well built! Would recommend this tuner to anyone who can get a good price on it. I do like the cross-needle metering on the MFJ-941E, so would recommend that tuner also.