Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-941D Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-941D
MFJ-941D Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: 10M through 160M antenna tuner with SWR metering, antenna switch, and 4:1 balun.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-941D.

AF5CC Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2017 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Works fine for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this used a few years ago for $50, I believe. I have had one of these in the past, and both have worked fine. They load up my G5RV type homebrew antenna, my TGM Communications Miniquad, and some different MFJ Moxon Yagis (very good antennas). No complaints with performance at all. I ran it with a Yaesu FT1000D for a while at 200 watts and no arcing at that power level either.

This even works on 6 meters but the meter won't be the most accurate. My rig has a SWR meter on it anyways, so that is ok.

N2MDV Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2017 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner, and can be modified to even be better.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these originally in early 1991 used for $50.00 to work CB from inside an apartment complex, and it worked. Later, when I did get my Ham ticket, I used it to tune all sorts of things from verticals, dipoles, Windoms, random length long wires, shunt feed a tower to work 160M, etc. It does it all. I did have an issue on 75M AM where the insulated washer smoked on the Antenna Tune air CAP. So I changed the insulating washers to all delron, and that solved that. I did have an issue where I couldn't tune the newer 60M band to a long wire. Now, say what you want about "More Fine Junk", one thing about most MFJ gear is, if you don't like it, modify it! I was never a fan of depending on rivets for a good electrical connection of any kind, so I ran copper braid from the tuner's common on the board and hard soldered daisy-chained that braid to the outer metal of the SO-239 connectors. That worked! And now it also tunes up better on 40M, 80M, and 160M. Most internal auto tuners will not tune-up the new 60M band, like the TS-2000's, so this tuner is still used for that. This is probably the best $50.00 I've ever spent on in amateur radio.

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2014 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Compact for its time  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got it used on Ebay last year, came with original receipt from 1990 for $110, Ha. Added LED meter illumination, works great and could easily be used mobile or portable up to 300W as it is nice and compact.

Now relegated to back up to my 962C since upping power.

I have to say most of my reviews so far have been 5's, but that is due to a lot of research and reading, including the Eham reviews. I've found the overall ratings to be quite accurate. Thanks!

KE4SWC Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2012 07:51 Send this review to a friend
oldie but a goodie  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked this item up at an estate sale in poor condition - it was dirty and dented all over.

After a good cleaning I hooked it up and the meter still worked!! The inductor worked as it should and so did both variable caps! After some massaging of the metal case to get the bad dents out - she looked pretty good.

I took her to a local radio shop to see about calibration. We tested it on the bench and it was almost spot on with both power and SWR. We tweaked it a bit and it is faithfully tuning an OCF dipole at 100watts quite often.

I wouldn't trade it at all!

MI3LVZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2009 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Works a treat.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I paid 30 for mine from Ebay, not bad condition and use it to tune a CB vertical antenna down to 20 mtrs for my old FT101ZD. Cant really say much more about the old gal but for 30 im bloody delighted...

K9FON Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2008 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Works and works well!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using one that i borrowed from a local ham to tune the input of an amplifier(Swan MK II) that doesn't not have a tuned input. My Icom 746's internal tuner quit for 160/80 and 40 meters and the rig folded back with only a 1.5-1 swr going into the amp. With the 941 i can tune the input SWRS down to a 1.1-1 and the rig and amp are both happy.
Im thinking i'll buy the new version of the 941 soon.

WB7WCB Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2008 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Great unit....really!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wanted to add my experience with a great little tuner. I used to work for VOA in Delano CA (now defunct). We had an old kenwood something-1000 receiver. Our station was a transmitter facility, with BBC 250 Kw transmitters going into a 27-db gain curtain. I could tune out these and tune in the 12-noon net in Redding CA. To say I was impressed is an understatement. A worthwhile addition to any shack.

N8ULP Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2008 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Very good unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have had this little jewel since 1992 and i have not had the first problem with it yet. just dug it back out of the closet after (well forever) and dusted it off and it still works as good as the day i bought it. i use it on 75 meters with my ts520s kenwood and feed it with 450ohm ladder line into a 275 foot loop and it works great on all bands. tried something silly with it once thought i was going to blow it up but i actually made a contact on 40 meters with it loading up into 2 55 steel trash drums! had about 20 ft of the mini8 coax center to one can and shield to the other one and was 5 by 9 into N Carolina!!! If you can pick one of these up cheap i would! Thx and 73 N8ULP

KC0ZZH Rating: 3/5 Aug 4, 2008 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Decent tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this tuner for $30 at a local hamfest.

Unit is fairly large for a mobile/low power tuner. PWR/SWR button I don't think was needed due to already having an FWD/REV meter. Seems to do OK at best. Directions are a bit vague in the manual I think. Tunes what I need it to so can'[t complain much there.

For the price I don't think it was a bad deal, but anything over what I paid for it I wouldn't have been to happy.

W5LXG Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2008 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I apologize to MFJ.For years I have cursed them and every MFJ item I bought.My 941D has proven to be quite the exception.I use the tuner to match a very short end fed wire on 80 and 30 meters.The 941D easily provides an apparent perfect match on those bands and reports indicate the RF is getting out. I found this used tuner on eBay at a steal of price. To my surprise,nothing was loose,missing or rattling around inside.Twiddle the two caps and "1:1" comes up PDQ.I am afraid to look inside the case preferring to just leave well enough alone. Some innards of MFJ gear defies description.