Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-941D Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-941D
MFJ-941D Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: 10M through 160M antenna tuner with SWR metering, antenna switch, and 4:1 balun.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-941D.

WD6GLA Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2007 15:16 Send this review to a friend
XLNT little tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this guy new from HRO back in 1990 so its getting a bit long in the tooth at 17 years , but its been a darn good tuner . I've run it on all my rigs at one time or another and never a problem with a lot of different antennas . The controls are still tight and feel nice . I've looked inside and its well built without the sometimes rats nest wiring and quality control issues that some people have complained about with MFJ products . Also I dont abuse or run my equipment beyond their ratings so maybe thats why I've had good luck over the years with all my gear . This long discontinued model has the older style single needle SWR 30/300 watt movement , internal 4:1 balun ( no built in dummy load however ) and a 12 position inductor switch with seperate tuning capacitors so it loads up coax , end fed wires , tuned feeders easily . You can match up almost anything within reason. If you are in need of a flexible low power 10/160 tuner and can find a nice used 941D by all means do so . This one will do the job for you .

KB0HAE Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2007 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This tuner was donated to me by a friend. He had loaned it to another ham, and I think the other ham thought he was going to get to keep the tuner and part it out. When I got the tuner, the meter was rattling around inside, with 1 wire broken off of the circuit board, the knob was pulled off (it was in the package though) and the mounting hardware was missing from the Antenna variable capacitor. It also has some marks on the face, and a dent on one side. This tuner has obviously had a hard life!

After I re-soldered the meter wire onto the board, remounted the meter with some clear silicon sealer, scrounged mounting hardware, mounted the Antenna control, and pressed the knob back on. the tuner was mechanically sound. No problems with the spacing of the capacitor plates, although the contact on the back of the Transmitter capacitor was loose. I fixed that and cleaned the capacitor contacts, the antenna and inductance switches, and coax connectors with DeOxit D5. The tuner now works great! It took a little work, but I can't complain for the price. It tunes my random wire antenna very well on all bands. Tuning is a little tricky on some bands but it just takes a little fidling to figure out. I also added 2 12v bulbs to light the meter. They are controlled with a DPDT switch with a center off positioin. The tuner did not originally come wit a meter light. Lighting the meter makes it much easier to read.

The repairs took maybe 2 hours. Obviously if this tuner can be brought back to perfect functioning after the abuse it suffered, its pretty well built! Would recommend this tuner to anyone who can get a good price on it. I do like the cross-needle metering on the MFJ-941E, so would recommend that tuner also.