Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Willco Electronics Help

Reviews Summary for Willco Electronics
Willco Electronics Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Ham equipment repair
More info: http://www.willcoele.com

You can write your own review of the Willco Electronics.

KC9LOO Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2015 01:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Work  Time owned: more than 12 months
My old Icom 737 was starting to show signs of age. So I contacted Jack and made arrangements for him to work on it. He did a complete alignment and replaced those very difficult to reach, display bulbs.
Excellent work and very reasonable price.

NJ9T Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2014 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I dropped my Icom 746 off needing the display power supply repaired. Jack had it repaired and also repaired a few other things that were found. He had pictures of before and after and the price was very reasonable. I live 2 hours away, so no shipping and this is the second time he has worked on one of my radios. Turn around time was less than a week.

WV8BOB Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2014 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Thumbs Up  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I thought I only needed one OLED Display replaced in my FTDX5000. Didn't want to ship to Yaesu and pay close to $500 for the repair. Instead I contacted Jack and ask for is assistance in doing the repair. He agreed and did an excellent job. Got the radio back in a very reasonable time period. Jack even went the extra mile with my repair in that I only wanted one display replaced and was not aware that the other two were also losing their brightness. He called and told me about what he was seeing. He was willing to order the other two OLED's from Yaesu for me and install them for only an additional $30, plus the cost of the parts. Thank you so much for helping me out. GREAT JOB

W8RMV Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2013 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Courteous response  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I asked for some help with a repair & Jack took the time to answer my question along with an apology for a late reply. Now that is the kind of repair shop I'd like to deal with. Thank you! - Bob

W4IDW Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2012 08:26 Send this review to a friend
TS-940 Resurrection  Time owned: more than 12 months
Send him a gorgeous TS-940Sat with low output. After about 2 months, I got a call from him, all is repaired, all is well, rig has full output now, and the repair was very reasonable. He even charged me for less hours of labor that he actually performed on the radio!. Great guy to work with over the phone too!

KK4CNF Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2011 08:32 Send this review to a friend
FT890 Repair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought the radio used and it worked fine about 3 months. Then on that 91st day, I keyed the mic and smoked the unit. I called Jack at Wilco, and he said ship it to him, however, there was a backlog of about 7-8 weeks. No problem. Shipped the unit, he replaced 2 driver transitors on the PA board along with a resistor, gave it a once over tune up, and shipped it back. He was good as his word on the agreed amount of time it would take for the repair. The radio is back up and running. Could not have asked for better service. Plus he took his time with me on the phone.

K9CTB Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2011 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu System 600 Repair.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This review is very late, but I felt obligated to include it because of the good experience I had through Willco Electronics.

I had an FT-600 which I used and relied heavily on for MARS work, when it developed a distinct "crackling" noise on SSB. At the time, I was very new to the System 600 way of doing business, which is by way of shorting blocks to make use of the VFO, enable memory channels, etc. Most of my work with the '600 was on USB. The "crackling" got progressively worse until it was constantly about S9+40 on the meter - average! I tried to troubleshoot on my own and got nowhere. I sent the rig to another service facility (I won't name them here) and got it back 2 weeks later with a note that they "couldn't reproduce the symptoms". WHAT?? It was as clear as the nose on my face! What part of "crackle" didn't you hear? :) I called a second service center who told me, "Sure. We'll look at it if you have the service manual." Uh, no -- I don't. Click! Well to shorten the story, I called Willco and described the rig and the trouble and the fellow on the other end responded with, "We CAN fix your rig!" That's all I needed to know. I shipped the '600 to Willco and within 2 weeks - can't remember exactly - I got a call back. They found the trouble. It was the SSB crystal filter (I *THINK* the '600 only uses one), and they were awaiting receipt of the part. Within another week I had a working FT-600 on my bench. Far as I'm concerned, these folks know what they're doing, and I would recommend them - or send one of my rigs - again if the need arises. The price for parts was reasonable and the labor - well - it didn't take them long at all. As an engineer/technician myself, I know there are problems that can kick anyone in the behind. I've had two wires stump me before (go ahead and laugh, till it happens to you! :) ). It would be difficult for me to rate anyone who has provided technical service for me at less than "5", because servicing electronic gear is such a subjective thing. Then there's parts. And QA. etc, etc. But Willco imho deserves a solid 5.

K9PYO Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2011 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Setting the Standard for Cust Svc  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
ICOM IC-781 went on the fritz.

In initial phone discussion with Jack, his assessment proved to be spot-on. I delivered the rig to him. All aspects of the repair service from his knowledge of the equipment, diagnosis of the problem, to the repair itself were a model of great customer service.

Friendly discussion and explanation of the problem root-cause plus more than fair repair costs concluded the transaction. Highly recommended.

W8LGZ Rating: 1/5 Jun 22, 2011 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Will not use again  Time owned: months
Sent my IC-706MKIIG for repair of receive audio distortion on HF and audible tone on transmit signal on VHF. He had the radio for just over 2 months, put 1 hour of work into it and sent it back. He sent the radio to the wrong address after I had given him my correct mailing address 4 TIMES!(once on the repair order, two separate emails and on the PayPal payment) I had to drive across town to get it. He did call me once while he had it, but seemed like he was in a hurry to get off the phone.

Well, I hook it up, turn on the power, and guess what...the distortion is still there! I'm giving him a 1 only because he did get rid of the tone issue on VHF and only charged me $75.00 for the repair and shipping (maybe a "discount" for having it so long??) Anyway, I won't be using his service again.

Jim - W8LGZ

KG6UTS Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2011 08:24 Send this review to a friend
IC751 memory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend gave me a very dirty and rusty IC-751/PS15 with flat memory battery. Willco turned the memory card around quickly so I could trouble shoot the set. Thanks Willco, you are winners.

EdZ KG6UTS