Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Willco Electronics Help

Reviews Summary for Willco Electronics
Willco Electronics Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Ham equipment repair
More info: http://www.willcoele.com

You can write your own review of the Willco Electronics.

W9LW Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2009 19:18 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased -- Would use again in a heartbeat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Repaired a Yaesu FT-900 which I bought "as is" from an eBay seller. Jack's work is good, his prices are reasonable and he treated me fairly.

Just don't panic if he doesn't reply immediately to your email messages. He's so popular that he often has a backlog and we'd all probably rather have him at the bench working on our radios than at the computer responding to messages!

N9TGR Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2009 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had several pieces of equipment down to be fixed,One was a tired old FT1000D which the previous owner had given up on.Jack spent about three hours on it and it now sounds as good as new.Have also had him repair a ft 920 and ft2000 which both had blown data chips.Always treated me fair and a couple of the repairs where performed while I waited.Highly recommended.

Andy N9TGR

W7MPK Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2008 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Work  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got my radio an IC-736 from an elmer who is now SK. I bought it from him to help with medical bills. Unfortunately, the encoder for the vfo was jammed. The new part was no longer available for this rig so (with my permission) he adapted one from a different rig. It works great! Jack did a superb job. That's what I call thinking on your feet. Very friendly service.

KI6ITX Rating: 3/5 Apr 14, 2008 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Repair of a Kenwood TS-130s?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sent out Kenwood TS-130s for repair/low transmit at about 4 watts. Good communications for the service center taking about 4 weeks for repair. Turned on and tuned up the radio on 10 meter after getting it back..tried it on my Antron 99 with almost flat match. In 3 minutes the radio was again back to 4 watts. Contacted the repair center and was offered free shipping back to service center. Free repair if it was the same problem as when first sent in.I felt like this was fair. WAS it a bad repair OR the UPS banging it around? I have decided to get it repaired closer to my house...LESSON learned.

K9HDT Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2008 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Service & Work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own a R71A and had Jack do the memory mod on it. Not only did he increase the memory to 1024, he also made sure the operating system is never lost on the radio with his board. He checked the radio over and made sure everything worked and looked good as well as the work I paid for. I picked the radio up myself so service was very fast and excellent. The next day Jack called me to make sure I was pleased with the work he did and that everything worked as it should. I would recommend Willco to anyone who needs work done. Jack is knowledgeable and highly skilled at what he does. The price was very fair as well for the board and labor.
Thanks Jack!
Harry
K9HDT

N9QGU Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2008 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Does Good Work  Time owned: months
I recently had Jack repair two radios. He does good work and is fast, friendly, and fair. What more can you ask for?

KIL9HW Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2008 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Best Tech I Have Seen  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Jack is a fine person to deal with. Heres proof. Dropped off my Icom R71A. Replaced memory battery. Programmed memory with new frequency limits. Aligned and adjusted PLL and carrier oscillator. Cost $53.50 total
Dropped off my Galaxy DX 2517. Replaced lamps. Check out entire radio. Check power out and receive. Cost $53.75 total
Dropped off my dead Realistic Pro-2004 vintage scanner. Jack had this one for a while and when I got it home it did not work. Tried it the next day and it worked. Strange. I called Jack and he immediatly told me to bring it back to him. However it still works so I have not returned it to him. Cost $30.00 total.
I highly recommend this person to anyone. He will let you drop off your equipment at his house and this prevents UPS from banging it around. Give him a shot. You wont be disappointed.

AA9NN Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2007 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service!  Time owned: months
Jack repaired my FT-897. excellent job and excellent communications. I would recommend talking with Jack before you send your radio off to the factory,if its out of warranty. I felt that Jack went up and beyond the call of duty to get my rig fixed. I have been in the Broadcast business for over 20 years and Jack is one of those engineers that knows his business and rolls up his sleves and gets the job done.....with NO BS!

Jim AA9NN

W8BBM Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2007 16:47 Send this review to a friend
A very fine gentleman  Time owned: more than 12 months
Jack worked on my FT-980 and found the problems quickly and executed the repairs accordingly. He is extremely maticulous in his communication and documentation. Before the repair even started we had a long phone conversation to discuss exact problems and his best guess as to what the cause might be. It took him a while before he finally did get it on the bench but it was well worth the wait. Best of all, Jack is a very, very nice man and honest in his dealings. His prices are very fair as compared to others I had checked in advance.

K9CTB Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2007 23:46 Send this review to a friend
Great service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent them my Yaesu FT-600 because of a constant very loud - S9+40 or so - static regardless of band. Even when the radio was sitting still. Ran the AGC up so high the receiver was unusable. I feared the worst, because I had already checked for the obvious "loose connection". No self-respecting ham will EVER send a rig in for a service he can do himself! (You have to be careful here because some service centers have separate price scales for "fixing it" and "fixing it when you 'fixed' it first") I remember calling Willco and explaining the problem. I remember the gentleman's response as clear as if it was yesterday: "I can fix it." I thought "Man, THAT is confidence!" So I boxed it up and shipped it. Sure enough, Willco discovered a bad filter. Again, I feared the worst (how much is my heart gonna stand?) - and thought the filter wouldn't be available. He found one! It was returned to me in perfect operating condition. I highly recommend them/him. I wanted to note again that Willco is known for Icom expertise, and I sent him a Yaesu, which didn't present a problem at all. I also shipped the FT-600 in my Icom 718 box (they are almost the same profile). For the last time, I feared the worst (I took a heart pill) - that I would not get my box back. Willco took the time to pack the rig gently in the Icom box and box it again with additional packing. The rig and box arrived as new. The last guy I remember giving me service like this was Clifford. For those of you who know Cliff, that says it all.