Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-904H Deluxe Travel Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-904H Deluxe Travel Tuner
MFJ-904H Deluxe Travel Tuner Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $140.00
Description: The MFJ-904H 150 Watt 80-10 Meter Antenna Tuner includes a Cross-Needle SWR/Wattmeter and 4:1 balun for balanced lines and random wire. Cross-Needle meter shows SWR, forward, and reflected power all at a glance. Push button selects forward/reflected power in 300/60 and 30/6 Watt ranges. Measures a compact 7 x 2 x 2 inches.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-904H

You can write your own review of the MFJ-904H Deluxe Travel Tuner.

N4QWK Rating: 2/5 Feb 7, 2016 11:15 Send this review to a friend
It it's just not that good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had the MFJ-901B for about 30 years. Its always been a good tuner, but I wanted a tuner with a meter. I purchased the 904H. I've tried this tuner on a couple of fan dipoles, without much success. I doesn't tune nearly as well as my 901. I can take the 901 and tune it to a 1:1, but when I take the 904, the lowest I can get it on many frequencies is 2:1.

GX5YC Rating: 0/5 Oct 8, 2010 03:47 Send this review to a friend
Why marketing should not attempt engineering...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This could deserve an overall 2 out of 5:-

- It will tune an aerial/antenna.

- It will *Not* allow even vaguely accurate forward or reflected power or SWR readings to be taken (I don't think other users have checked this against calibrated equipment.) Like a broken clock, it can give the correct reading by co-incidence.

The engineers produced a reasonable design. But then the MFJ marketing suit(s) came along: "It must look different from the failed MFJ-971. Paint it black, and replace all those screws with black ones as well, because it looks better." Well, it doesn't work better - two of the screws are critical to provide grounding to the internal circuit board, but the black ones were *not* providing conduction. It works better when it matches the circuit diagram, but even then it can not be used for any measurements due to components and build quality and calibration.

A good circuit design, but as many say, MFJ stands for Made From Junk.

This is a marketing attempt to get away from the failed MFJ-971 - the circuit and components are virtually identical (see the reviews on this site and the circuit diagrams).

KC1JB Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2008 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Good value for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this at the operating desk full-time. I've had no trouble matching my Yaesu FT-450 to my 20m dipole -- via an "ugly" balun and 450-ohm window line -- in my attic. (I use the Yaesu barefoot.) I've been able to get at least 1.5:1 matches on 80m and 1:1 on 40m through 10m. One hint: The manual recommends that after a band change or with a new antenna, you begin a fresh tuning attempt by starting with each control at a specific setting (5-0-L from left to right.) I used a red Sharpie to highlight the recommended start settings. I find the markings useful, even after an initial run up and down the bands to jot down settings.

W2RDD Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2007 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Works fine at low-power level  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like it so much I bought two. One for travel and one for home. It has made my low-power rigs happy using a Buddistick antenna.

This tuner is rated for 150 watts. I always divide by two all MFJ tuner power ratings. Thus my Argonaut V and SG-2020 at 20 watts have no problem with this tuner.

It is light-weight and the controls are small. The light weight is fine when travelling but can be annoying on the operating desk. Suggest buying a roll of that material sold at your favorite discount store for lining shelves. cut a piece and place it under the tuner. The tuner will slide around less.

KD5MJJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2007 13:24 Send this review to a friend
MFJ 904 no balun A+ --  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The plain 904 is without the built in balun but otherwise is the same as the 904H.

I have had the 902 ( no meter version)for a couple of years and have found it to be well built and reliable.

Needing a HF tuner with a meter, this was a natural choice for me.

It is well built and performs quite well. The knobs are small so it is easy to overshoot the sweet spot. Take your time tuning and it becomes so easy. Recommended !!

KB3CS Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2007 15:04 Send this review to a friend
compact and versatile for barefoot operation  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
MFJ-904H tuner and the MFJ-907 RF Transformer will provide the capabilities you need on Field Day or for ARES/RACES field deployment.