Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-572 (not B) Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-572 (not B)
Ameritron AL-572 (not B) Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1399.35
Description: 1300 watt pep out on 160-10M
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/products.php?prodid=AL-572

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-572 (not B).

K5HSV Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2013 21:07 Send this review to a friend
1300w with 120v... Nice Amp for My Camper!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the AL-572 from HRO a few weeks ago to use when I took out my camper for a little R&R and QSO. I checked out the watts with a Power Master to verify to output. On 80 meters the amp put out 1100w with 75w drive. Simple in design, does what it is designed for. The amp did hit 1375w a few times with 100w drive but I tried to be easy on the tubes. It weights about 60 lbs. Nice bright LED lights on the meters. At this point, I don't have any complaints, other than Ameritron doesn't give you instructions on how to make the modification for 10/12 meter use. Hint... Hint... (Clip the green wire). No issues to report. At this time I can recommend the AL-572.

AA9NN Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Amp.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Saturday went up to AES in Milwaukee and bought this amp brand spanking new! I usally never do that!...buy new...but I figured what the hell time to try new. I had one of these about 5 years ago and had the newer tubes in it(Taylor 572) worked 100% although meter was a little flakey.

This amp is latest serial ## Got it home after a stop at the "Brat Stop" with my Gal and opened it up checked all the internals, all good,did the 10 Meter Mod, and fired it up on the Bench. 2800V on the numbers! The best thing for these tubes is to let them run with no load for a bit, so took the Gal out for Sushi! and movie,Amp ran for about 5 hours. All Good! Took out the ALS600 and put in the AL572 Sunday AM.
70 watts CW on 40 Meters did 1225 watts out!
All Good, 50 watts on 15 meters did 1250!
worked all over the bands and worked the Contest and amp worked as advertised!
Input SWR is all good across the board.
Now, I bought this as I wanted a KW Plus on a 120V as I had my shack wired for 220 BUT needed 2 Circuts so I have 2 30amp 120V's in my shack.
and for the price, its a solid amp! I will take 1200 to 1300 watts for over $1K less than a AL1200.
all the best and have fun!
73!

Jim AA9NN

AB3ME Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2011 17:13 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this amp from HRO about 6 months ago. I live full time in an RV and have access only to 120 volt service....and most of the time not that at all. For this reason, I chose the AL-572 due to the ability to change the taps on the transformer to match my input voltage. Ran the amp as is for about 4 months (taps set at 125 V from factory) After making the mod to allow 10 meters, the amp would do about 800 to 900 watts out with my input voltage of 118. HV reading of 2600 on internal meter.
Changed tubes to Taylor 572 from RF parts a month ago, and reset the transformer taps to 115. HV now reading 2800 per manual, and output of 1000 watts (PEP SSB) consistently on 17 and 12 meters. Definitely an improvement.
80 to 15 meters performance is at 1200 watts SSB (PEP) and was with taps at 125v, no change with taps at 115, but output is at 1200+ on these bands now. Maybe the Taylor tubes made the difference, or the change in taps on transformer. I realize the 2800 minimum HV is making the biggest difference, and am pleased with the performance. I drive this amp with my Icom 7600 at the full 100 watts. All in all, I am very happy with this amp, and feel it fits my needs perfectly primarily due to the ability to easily change the transformer taps, and easily replaceable 572 tubes Good job Ameritron. This far outperforms my old SB200.

W7DME Rating: 3/5 Apr 1, 2011 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Not good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I look at an amplifier add that says it will do 160 to 15 meters, I expect to be able to do so without having to modify the input tuning of the amp, that is, unless the add specifically says you have to modify it in some way to get the coverage it advertises, such as the 10 meter mod required. Ameritron does not reveal this until they have your money, and then only after you discover the high SWR on the input on the WARC bands and call tech support. It is no where in the manual or advertising. If you have a broadband radio driving it and no antenna tuner, you could damage the finals in your radio. Also not in the manual is anything saying you are'nt supposed to use an antenna tuner, even though they say the amp will stand 100 watts of drive and the normal radio can't put out any more power with or without a tuner and most radios today are 100 watt radios.

Shame on you Ameritron@!

K4RYR Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2010 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amp.- But Caution!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have no complaints about the operation of the amp....it works great and requires very little drive to full output. However, having said that...be sure to carefully examine the internal construction of the amp. when you take off the top cover to unpack around the finals. Mine had the meters installed incorrectly in a bind and not seated properly into the front panel openings, I also found a two lug terminal strip just floating in mid air and not secured to the chassis as it should have been. MFJ supplies a lot of good products for amateur radio and we are lucky to have them in the USA, but the quality control leaves a lot to be desired, so always carefully inspect anything you buy for mfg. problems.

N2JXN Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2010 17:41 Send this review to a friend
great so faf  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice amp get rated output. Only problem was when I did the 240 volt conversion. Powered up the amp and R27 as shown on the circuit board 127 as shown on the schematic smoked. Replaced it with an equal and since no Problems. From what I understand this is normal for MFJ. Contacted Ameritron and they sent me a replacment under warranty

AE4GW Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2010 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Great so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased the al572 a couple of days ago and so far I have been very pleased. I didn't have any problems getting 1kw out with the 120 volt hook up, i will be changing to 220 volt in the next day or so. I have worked several DX stations with ease using a inverted V and running about 500watts.

KA3DNR Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2009 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello Folks,

This is a darn good amplifier. I get 1200+ W key-down on house wiring.

If you are getting low output, get the HV up to 3000V, via changing the transformer taps (very very easy to do).

There is a mod that I will be doing: http://www.k6jrf.com/FT2k_AL572.html

I appreciate Rick @ Ameritron speaking with me for as long as it took to fix I problem that I caused.

Regards,

Marc

VY1EI Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2009 11:19 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this amp for a year and half now. It got me through last year's contest season with no problems. It puts out an honest KW. One of the tubes was bad, and a dial was missing a screw. Very happy with it, you can't do better without going up to 220 volts.

AE9DX Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2009 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Good Amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
First let me say I've heard and read all the bad reports about this series of amp and have not experienced any of them. I bought this amp used on e-bay for $350.00 over 7 years ago and it still is going strong. That said, I did replace all the tubes with a matched set of Taylor 572B's and get the advertised 1300 watts out with 100 watts drive. This has been a good solid consistant performer for me and it gets daily use for DXing. For the money and the power out it's a good choice!