Reviews Categories | Microphones | AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification Help

Reviews Summary for AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification
AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification Reviews: 146 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $39.50
Description: Modification to the Icom HM-151 hand microphone that comes with the Icom IC-7000. This mod fixes the poor FM audio that this microphone and radio combination has from the factory. The modification replaces the mic element and a capacitor, adds a shaped acoustic foam shell, widens the mic opening, adds a wind screen (pop filter) and a 1oz weight to the microphone shell.
More info: http://www.7000mic.com/

You can write your own review of the AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification.

2E1RDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2014 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Stunning  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a IC-7000 and my mate said it sounds poor, you need to get the AB5N mod done on the mic,
So off went the mic to Bob it took 11 working days from the day I sent it till the day it was returned that was from the UK to USA and back including the work,
Now the part that matters I went on 10m with Jim M0HDX as He is the person I trust to set my audio up how I like it crisp and punchy, 5 minutes later He says perfect leave everything there it sounds superb Thats the best money you have ever spent in Amateur radio ??? Jims words not mine but I have to agree
The service from Bob is 2nd to none and can't say more other than if you have a IC-7000 get your Mic off to Bob and get superb audio reports
Thanks Bob a happy customer or should I say another happy customer
rgds Ian

KG6ANT Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2014 20:51 Send this review to a friend
30 day Follow-up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
WOW, MANY HF contacts and sterling reports. FM I finally got the rig in my car; HF withstanding, I have had MANY good reports on local repeaters (2 meters and 70 cm), HOWEVER, since I was mobile I had to turn the mic gain down to 20% but everyone LOVES the overall sound quality. Folks you will NOT be disappointed!

KG1F Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2014 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Great service - Fast turnaround!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just moved to a new QTH and before setting up my new IC-7100 thought I'd upgrade the microphone to improve the audio.

I mailed the HM-151 to Bob on Tuesday - Bob did the upgrade and I had it back on Saturday, just four days later. The extra weight he added improves the heft and balance of the mic, and the audio reports I'm getting are great!

I'd now much rather use this mic with great sound, and the handy DTMF keypad and controls built into it - the Heil's can stay in the drawer.

WZ1P Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2014 08:14 Send this review to a friend
The mod. (7 years later)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had Bob do the mod on my HM-151 seven years ago and posted a 5/5 review about how it corrected the mic problems. Well after all this time my IC-7000 and the 151 mic are both doing a great job on worldwide DXpeditions every year. I always get great signal reports in pileups running 100 watts or less into a Buddipole portable antenna on battery power from some of the exotic locations we visit. I have a lot of bucks invested in the best light portable equipment and it all starts when I depress the mic button and speak. I know my mic is 100% correct. After that it's my job to make sure that I have the very best equipment downstream. I have never had a bad audio report with this mod. If there was a better fix out there for the 151 then you wouldn't be reading this review.

N5DRM Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2014 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't be better.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had Bob do the modifications to both my HM-151 and HM-36 microphones. Very fast turnaround and what a difference to the output audio. His fee is most reasonable and his service is impeccable. I give my highest recommendation and thanks to Bob.

KB8SB Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2014 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Great mod at a reasonable price.  Time owned: more than 12 months
During a recent QSO while using my IC-7000 with its matching HM-151 mic, I was given a report of very poor audio and strength. My pwr and mic gain levels were at 100% but I still had little or no ALC deflection. I heard about Bob's (AB5N) modification for the HM-151 so I sent the mic to him and it was returned in less than a week. I am now getting super reports with the mic gain set at 50% or less. One option Bob offers during the modification is the addition of a 1oz weight in the mic. I highly recommend this be done. The weighted mic feels so much better in your hand.
THANKS Bob for making a poor mic into a great sounding one.

K8MSH Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2014 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Well done!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Quick turn-around. Did audio mod and fixed flaky PTT. Works great, sounds great. Highly recommended!

KG6IYX Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2014 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Great audio and output power!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the Japan version of the HM-151 and have battled to get any kind of output. Even setting the IC-7000 to max power the best output I could achieve was <5 watts. Never made an audio QSO. Simply said, my rig was being used for non-voice modes only.

Sent my mic to Bob, and he did the upgrade and rapid turn around. Now I have a mic I can use, quality audio transmissions, and getting out with full power when needed. Not to mention, the 1 oz weight in the mic makes it feel stable in my hand! It was way too light before.

IC-7000 users, this upgrade will not disappoint. 73's

Wish I would have done this years ago.

WB5VUH Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2014 05:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This review should have been written several years ago when Bob, AB5N, first performed the mod on my MH-151.

Anyway, I can's say enough nice things about the mod that Bob made and "continue" to get great audio reports when operating mobile with my IC-7000 and the Scorpion(tm) antenna system. The combination of both have helped me make many contacts that otherwise would have been more difficult.

I think you'll be pleased too based on his success of the mod and his attention to detail and customer-relations. The way that best describes my feelings is "THANKS BOB", GREAT JOB.

KC1AKV Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2014 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent improvement.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The turn around time was unbelievable I had it back in NYC from AK inside of a week. When I took it out of the box it felt like a different animal. It had nice heft and balance that it did not have before the addition of the weight. It is amazing what 1 oz can do to how something feels as any pool player can tell you regarding a cue. Another nice touch is a direction sheet which tells you where to set the tx. On my monitor the audio quality is vastly improved. Because of the way I speak and the fact that I close talk my mic my s's have a bit of a hiss which tho improved was still slightly there so I covered the mic hole with a piece of sock and that problem is solved. I need windscreens on all of my recording devices. I highly recommend this mod.