Reviews Categories | Microphones | AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification Help

Reviews Summary for AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification
AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification Reviews: 158 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $39.50
Description: Modification to the Icom HM-151 hand microphone that comes with the Icom IC-7000. This mod fixes the poor FM audio that this microphone and radio combination has from the factory. The modification replaces the mic element and a capacitor, adds a shaped acoustic foam shell, widens the mic opening, adds a wind screen (pop filter) and a 1oz weight to the microphone shell.
More info: http://www.7000mic.com/

You can write your own review of the AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification.

W5CSM Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellence  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bob, AB5N can not be commended enough. His turn around time is exactly what his web site claims. My audio reports are now glowing. My bandwidth is perfectly rich in the Wide mode and narrow now provides me the pileup busting audio drive we all seek. I waited until my PTT switch was failing to send my mic. Yes, he has an upgrade for that also. Don't replace... upgrade!

G3UXB Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2016 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All the superlatives about Bob's mic mods are warranted, I sent him 2 HM151 Chinese clones that came with my Xiegu X108G, even though the circuit boards were totally different Bob spent the time to trace out the circuit and modify my mics, lightning fast return and now they sound like they should have in the first place! great Bob!

AD0AR Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2016 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product, service and value!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hello all! After thinking I could make a miracle happen by endlessly adjusting compression, bandwidth, and mic gain on my IC-7000 I finally resigned to calling AB5N Bob and sent both my HM-36 and HM-151 in. About 5 days later I had my equipment back and sounding like broadcast quality microphones!
I was concerned that the AM modulation would not be affected as that has always been an anemic issue with the 7000. Lo and behold when talking to some elmers local to my parent's house on AM I could actually be heard and with compliments on sound quality! Enough said with that statement!
In God we trust, all others we monitor AD0AR

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2016 10:49 Send this review to a friend
5++++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an IC-7200 on sale, this past holiday in Dec., 2015. I must totally AGREE with all comments, that were made by KC9OVD. The audio specs for sounding on the hand mic, HM36, are super great!!!!

His service is great and the cost is reasonable.

Ken KC8Y

KC9OVD Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2016 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mod and service above and beyond expectations.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the best $51 I have spent on mics.

If you have not had this mod done you need to strongly consider doing this. I sent my mic to Bob on a Tuesday and he received on Thursday of the same week. To my amazement he did the mod and shipped it back to me the same day. Awesome service that you do not experience very often in this day and age.

Audio reports on this mic before the mod where terrible and I was very discouraged after spending the $ on this radio. After the mod was done the change in audio reports was "an order of magnitude" better!

Not only was I extremely happy with the service and the audio quality, Bob has taken the time to give you the changes in parameters for setting up the audio on your radio after the mod is complete!

I am a very satisfied customer and would highly recommend this mod to anyone who has an IC-7000.

W7TKO Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2015 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding work!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had issues with the PTT switch so off the mic went to Bob for a full upgrade and PTT repair. Turn around time was phenomenally quick (less than 6 days door to door from NV). Had a spare HM-151 for comparison against Bob's handy work. The on air results are nothing short of amazing. If you have the HM-151 mic and haven't had it worked on by AB5N, please don't wait!

M0OIC Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2015 04:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent with IC7100  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
On receiving my IC7100 some months ago and chatting to stations I was given early advice on the hand mic "put it in its box and throw it in the back of cupboard" There it has lain until reading reports on eHam.net. Contact was made with Bob AB5N.

From the UK to USA a 10 day turn around which was not expected. I found Bob to be very helpful in answering questions asked. Best of all is the microphone HM-151 which I used for the first time this morning during a RSARS net. Yes, they can be critical at times which is what we need when testing out an upgraded Mike. The first two comments were "have you bought a linear you nearly took my ears off hi!"

I hadn't initially informed members that I was using a different rig, the Icom IC-7100 with upgraded HM-151 microphone but all came back to me with excellent reports. One visitor to our net also gave a 59 plus report with excellent quality audio. Much better than expected I was tempted to say but on reading other reports, I will simply say as expected.

Shipping to and from the UK to USA was a bit eye watering, isn't it always. However I think Bob's charges were very fair and have totally transformed audio from the IC-7100. Money well spent.

It all depends on voice of course but for me settings are: Gain 60%, Comp ON, TBW Mid which produced 7 excellent reports from other net members on 40m. Best comment was "sounds very solid, clean and cutting through the noise 59+10" I don't have a linear so it was 100 watts into an inverted V 40/80m trapped dipole.

Thanks Bob, great job.

N7WI Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2015 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Why did I wait?  Time owned: more than 12 months
After Four years of owning my ICOM IC-7000 I finally sent my HM-151 to Bob to get his modification. He's VERY FAST with the turn around ! I adjusted my settings per his note he sends back with your mic then did a few more from there just using my meter. Without asking how my audio was with my first contact the first thing I was told was, "man your audio sounds great!" The same went for the second and third... I never got the chance to ask how it was. Thank you Bob I should have done this years ago! :-)

KC6RCM Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2015 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Superb audio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bob, at AB5N Microphone Upgrades will take your stock, anemic HM-151 and transform it into a microphone powerhouse, offering superb sounding transmit audio. Quick turn around time as well.

Bravo, Five Star Bob!

KR6J Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2015 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Audio!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well. Not sure I can add any more to the great feedback that's already here, but I'll try. I ordered the parts and did the modification myself back about a year ago and man-oh-man what a difference this modification makes! In addition to that, I spoke with Bob over the telephone and he provided some great technical support. Great support and a great modification. Thank you Bob!!