Reviews Categories | Microphones | AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification Help

Reviews Summary for AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification
AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification Reviews: 159 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $39.50
Description: Modification to the Icom HM-151 hand microphone that comes with the Icom IC-7000. This mod fixes the poor FM audio that this microphone and radio combination has from the factory. The modification replaces the mic element and a capacitor, adds a shaped acoustic foam shell, widens the mic opening, adds a wind screen (pop filter) and a 1oz weight to the microphone shell.
More info: http://www.7000mic.com/

You can write your own review of the AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification.

KG6IYX Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2014 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Great audio and output power!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the Japan version of the HM-151 and have battled to get any kind of output. Even setting the IC-7000 to max power the best output I could achieve was <5 watts. Never made an audio QSO. Simply said, my rig was being used for non-voice modes only.

Sent my mic to Bob, and he did the upgrade and rapid turn around. Now I have a mic I can use, quality audio transmissions, and getting out with full power when needed. Not to mention, the 1 oz weight in the mic makes it feel stable in my hand! It was way too light before.

IC-7000 users, this upgrade will not disappoint. 73's

Wish I would have done this years ago.

WB5VUH Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2014 05:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This review should have been written several years ago when Bob, AB5N, first performed the mod on my MH-151.

Anyway, I can's say enough nice things about the mod that Bob made and "continue" to get great audio reports when operating mobile with my IC-7000 and the Scorpion(tm) antenna system. The combination of both have helped me make many contacts that otherwise would have been more difficult.

I think you'll be pleased too based on his success of the mod and his attention to detail and customer-relations. The way that best describes my feelings is "THANKS BOB", GREAT JOB.

KC1AKV Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2014 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent improvement.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The turn around time was unbelievable I had it back in NYC from AK inside of a week. When I took it out of the box it felt like a different animal. It had nice heft and balance that it did not have before the addition of the weight. It is amazing what 1 oz can do to how something feels as any pool player can tell you regarding a cue. Another nice touch is a direction sheet which tells you where to set the tx. On my monitor the audio quality is vastly improved. Because of the way I speak and the fact that I close talk my mic my s's have a bit of a hiss which tho improved was still slightly there so I covered the mic hole with a piece of sock and that problem is solved. I need windscreens on all of my recording devices. I highly recommend this mod.

N1HID Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2014 21:46 Send this review to a friend
Best Combo For Mobile Use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got a used but new IC 7000 and I think the reason may have been the audio quality from the unmodified HM 151 that the previous owner sold it. I have got good reports from the modified mic using it as a mobile rig. I'm hoping Icom is reading these reviews so they can correct the problem.

K8ESE Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2013 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like many other hams, I just got a new ICOM 7000 and needed the microphone improvement modification performed on it....I contacted Bob and he was very helpful while answering many of my questions regarding this radio....I sent the microphone in to him...two days later, he sent me an Email with the modification done and it was on route back to me....Wow!...got it back quick and works fantastic...I strongly recommend having Bob perform the modification on your IC 7000 HM-151 hand mic....cost is very reasonable also....and the mailing is handled very quickly!....Thanks Bob!

W4TEQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2013 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Priority for IC-7000 owners  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned my IC-7000 for about 5 months now which was an upgrade from a 706mkiig. Having always gotten good audio reports from from the 706, I noticed they fell off with the 7000 and the local guys I chat with complained regularly about a very thin sounding audio with no presence compared to what I previously had. Heard about this modification so I took the 40$ chance. Wow! The customer service was outstanding and the turn around time was within the week...regular ground shipping both ways. Audio reports and signal are way up and no more complaints. I held off on purchasing a desk mic for base ops and glad I did. Thanks AB5N..well worth it and a must for any 7000 owner.

GM1PVD Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2013 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Must be done  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Envelope of parts arrived in UK within a couple of weeks, Bob had to wait for spares his end, I was modifying the Chinese version. I watched video once and thought looks straight forward. The video makes the components look huge in comparison to when you start. Watched again and paused while I achieved each step. Came to the end, tested and it worked first time, the instructions are great.

The results are exceptional the gain can be turned right back and the compressor on setting 1or2 at most. The audio clarity is much better and I added some shot in the cavity at the back so it really feels like you are holding something of substance.

All in all first class, go for it!

EI8KF Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2013 03:43 Send this review to a friend
Straight forward but essential mic mod!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Kit arrived in post on Friday morning and by Friday evening I'd watched the instructional video and plucked up the courage to perform open mic surgery on my Japanese HM-151. The operation took about 45 minutes and despite the fact that I have difficulty soldering PL-259's the op was a great success. I left the mic in recovery until the following day when I tested the mic on HF in the car on a drive up to Dublin. I got good audio reports and worked more stations than I would've normally suggesting that the extra drive in audio output made a real difference!
If you're thinking about doing this mod but are, like me, a bit of a butcher when it comes to electronics, well... don't panic! This is a very straight forward, easy and rewarding mod. If you don't even own a soldering iron send it to Bob to do the work for you! Either way it's an essential job to get the best out of your IC-7000...!

KJ6WKH Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2012 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Essential for voice comms  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The first night I used my new-to-me IC-7000 (with a more recent "made in China" HM-151) on a local repeater, I got poor audio quality reports. Despite making mic gain changes, the situation didn't improve.

I looked online and found AB5N's HM-151 modification website and liked the straightforward presentation and simple instructions. The YouTube audio clips cinched it -- there's a clear difference you can hear.

Turnaround time was longer than I expected but I had a camping trip planned and then got the flu so it wasn't really missed. Bob let me know when it was shipped and it arrived on time.

I finally got to try it today and got much improved audio reports on SSB and FM; compression on & set to 2 with 30% mic gain. The larger hole for the mic element is clean and without burrs or scratches. I opted for the 1oz weight and it gives the mic a nice heft and doesn't feel slippery anymore.

I'd definitely recommend this modification to anybody with complaints about the stock mic. It works. Thanks, Bob!

73 Chris KJ6WKH

M6GOM Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2012 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Update to earlier review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Given all the 5 ratings, I had a think about it and thought there may be a chance there was something wrong with the one I had which came already fitted to the radio. Being in the UK, Bob ships the kit out. For the price it was - basically 20, it was worth a try ordering one from Bob and replacing the one in the converted mic I got with the radio. At worst, I'd be 20 down plus a bit of my time.

About 10 days after ordering it turned up - quite good from the USA - and was duly fitted.

I've been running it for the last few weeks and it seems infinitely better than the original one that was in there. No problems on FM, none of the other issues I had in the review below. Still have to have the mic gain right down and you can't run compression whilst mobile but then again, Bob covers that in the DVD and elsewhere and TBH not being able run compression hasn't caused any problems.

There is one major difference between the one I replaced and the one I fitted and that is the capacitor. In the kit I got there are two capacitors supplied - one for base use, one for mobile. Without taking it to bits, it looks like Bob has fitted another component in line with the cap and covered them with heat shrink. I have no idea what the component is without taking it apart but it definitely helps for mobile.

The Icom 7000 I have is one of the very first ones so I have no idea how old the original AB5N mike mod was so some of the improvement could be down to the type 2 element being used and some down to the modified capacitor for mobile use.

Very happy now. My only recommendation is that if you are going to be using this mobile at all, make sure the mobile option for the capacitor replacement is installed.