Reviews Categories | Microphones | AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification Help

Reviews Summary for AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification
AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification Reviews: 152 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $39.50
Description: Modification to the Icom HM-151 hand microphone that comes with the Icom IC-7000. This mod fixes the poor FM audio that this microphone and radio combination has from the factory. The modification replaces the mic element and a capacitor, adds a shaped acoustic foam shell, widens the mic opening, adds a wind screen (pop filter) and a 1oz weight to the microphone shell.
More info: http://www.7000mic.com/

You can write your own review of the AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification.

EI8KF Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2013 03:43 Send this review to a friend
Straight forward but essential mic mod!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Kit arrived in post on Friday morning and by Friday evening I'd watched the instructional video and plucked up the courage to perform open mic surgery on my Japanese HM-151. The operation took about 45 minutes and despite the fact that I have difficulty soldering PL-259's the op was a great success. I left the mic in recovery until the following day when I tested the mic on HF in the car on a drive up to Dublin. I got good audio reports and worked more stations than I would've normally suggesting that the extra drive in audio output made a real difference!
If you're thinking about doing this mod but are, like me, a bit of a butcher when it comes to electronics, well... don't panic! This is a very straight forward, easy and rewarding mod. If you don't even own a soldering iron send it to Bob to do the work for you! Either way it's an essential job to get the best out of your IC-7000...!

KJ6WKH Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2012 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Essential for voice comms  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The first night I used my new-to-me IC-7000 (with a more recent "made in China" HM-151) on a local repeater, I got poor audio quality reports. Despite making mic gain changes, the situation didn't improve.

I looked online and found AB5N's HM-151 modification website and liked the straightforward presentation and simple instructions. The YouTube audio clips cinched it -- there's a clear difference you can hear.

Turnaround time was longer than I expected but I had a camping trip planned and then got the flu so it wasn't really missed. Bob let me know when it was shipped and it arrived on time.

I finally got to try it today and got much improved audio reports on SSB and FM; compression on & set to 2 with 30% mic gain. The larger hole for the mic element is clean and without burrs or scratches. I opted for the 1oz weight and it gives the mic a nice heft and doesn't feel slippery anymore.

I'd definitely recommend this modification to anybody with complaints about the stock mic. It works. Thanks, Bob!

73 Chris KJ6WKH

M6GOM Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2012 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Update to earlier review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Given all the 5 ratings, I had a think about it and thought there may be a chance there was something wrong with the one I had which came already fitted to the radio. Being in the UK, Bob ships the kit out. For the price it was - basically 20, it was worth a try ordering one from Bob and replacing the one in the converted mic I got with the radio. At worst, I'd be 20 down plus a bit of my time.

About 10 days after ordering it turned up - quite good from the USA - and was duly fitted.

I've been running it for the last few weeks and it seems infinitely better than the original one that was in there. No problems on FM, none of the other issues I had in the review below. Still have to have the mic gain right down and you can't run compression whilst mobile but then again, Bob covers that in the DVD and elsewhere and TBH not being able run compression hasn't caused any problems.

There is one major difference between the one I replaced and the one I fitted and that is the capacitor. In the kit I got there are two capacitors supplied - one for base use, one for mobile. Without taking it to bits, it looks like Bob has fitted another component in line with the cap and covered them with heat shrink. I have no idea what the component is without taking it apart but it definitely helps for mobile.

The Icom 7000 I have is one of the very first ones so I have no idea how old the original AB5N mike mod was so some of the improvement could be down to the type 2 element being used and some down to the modified capacitor for mobile use.

Very happy now. My only recommendation is that if you are going to be using this mobile at all, make sure the mobile option for the capacitor replacement is installed.

WA6QGH Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2012 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Modification  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had chance to compare transmit audio with my modified HM-151 on my IC-7000 to my IC-7600 with SM-20 mike. Both radios during comparison tests had mid TBW 200-2800 with compression setting 1 on IC-7600 and 3 on IC-7000. In 9 out 10 checks the stations on other end thought IC-7000 had slightly better sounding audio response than IC-7600. Both radios got excellent transmit audio quality comments. Note all the tests were done on SSB 10,15, 20 & 40 meters. I would highly recommend this modification done by Bob AB5N.

M6GOM Rating: 1/5 Apr 1, 2012 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Wrecks the mike  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought an Icom 7000 that already had a mike with the AB5N mod in. IMO it absolutely destroys this microphone. Compared to a standard one, the AB5N mod wrecks the noise cancelling if you use it when mobile. It is also almost impossible to use the processor on SSB without the ALC being overdriven even with the mic gain down to single digits. It also causes issues on FM giving an effect similar to being in an empty room.

This is all experienced on a fully aligned radio. Changing the mike to a standard unmodified one solved all the problems. With the unmodified one the problem disappeared. I use my mike gain on 32 with the standard mike.

This mod seems to be aimed at the less than competent amateurs who on other radios would whack loads of bass into their audio which destroys the intelligibility because they want to see the TX power meter pegging the 100 mark all the time. These are the same amateurs who use a standard power meter instead of a proper peak hold meter to measure SSB and think their SSB power output is low.

ZS5J Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2012 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have three IC-7000 radio's with their respective HM-151 microphones, and have read the glowing reports on Bob's work here on eHam, but have always put off getting my mic's modified by Bob, mostly because of distance and worry that the mic's would end up getting lost in the mail.

I took the plunge a few weeks ago, and must say that I am thrilled with the entire experience. I sent off two "made in Japan" HM-151's - I decided to not have have my "made in China" HM-151 modified, as it is slightly improved over the made in Japan mic's. In hindsight I should have had that one modified by Bob also.

The entire experience was absolutely first class - from the excellent information on Bob's website, to audio samples provided, to feedback here on eHam. Then the fast work by Bob - he received my mic's, repaired them and had them shipped back on the same day. To the excellent communication by Bob - friendly, helpful, obliging and responsive. To the finished product - I have done numerous tests, and conclude that this mod by Bob has made a vast improvement. I now only need to run the mic gain at 45 % (previously I had to run at 90 % to generate proper ALC levels). The audio sounds much better with the new element - not as restricted or tunneled as before, the weight of the mic is also now perfect with his included weight mod. I nice touch, is that he returns the old components that he removed from the mic.

Bob is your go-to guy for everyone that owns an Icom IC-7000 and HM-151 microphone. This mod is a must. You only need look at all the 5/5 reviews here, to appreciate the quality of Bob's work.

John, ZS5J

MM0MUN Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2012 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Great upgrade  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great service, 21 day turnaround from Scotland and that was over the Xmas and New Year holiday! The results? Just amazing, Im getting reports like "great modulation" "Booming in here" "really punchy audio" etc etc! The best s iv spent since I bought the 7000.
If you have an IC 7000 get the mic shipped out to Bob you wont regret it Im sure.

Thanks again Bob 73s Eddie MM0MUN

GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2012 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Mic Magic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the component parts from Bob, took a look at his excellent installation video and had the mod fitted and mic up and running in less than twenty-five minutes. We then conducted comparison tests with a standard HM-151 and the difference was like day and night, especially noticeable on FM.To say I was pleased would be an understatement, I only hope Icom are listening and learning.
I thoroughly recommend this modification, for it makes a good sounding rig even better.

ZL1KAN Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2011 22:56 Send this review to a friend
Bobs Mod to HM-151 Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bob well done again, I'm a Satisified Icom-7000 owner with the excellent reports from overseas QSO's with the mod.
Should have done the Mod when I got the Rig last Year Now I know what I missed out on.

The Mic settings you provide are magic.
All Icom -7000 owners should get this Mod you wont be disappointed.

Thanks Bob 73's ZL1KAN

K5AGO Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2011 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded Expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had high expectations given all the great eHam reviews and even those expectations were exceeded. Bob kept me in the loop every step of the way, provided same day service and my comparison tests of before and after show a remarkable improvement. I am a very satisfied customer.