Reviews Categories | Microphones | AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification Help

Reviews Summary for AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification
AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification Reviews: 146 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $39.50
Description: Modification to the Icom HM-151 hand microphone that comes with the Icom IC-7000. This mod fixes the poor FM audio that this microphone and radio combination has from the factory. The modification replaces the mic element and a capacitor, adds a shaped acoustic foam shell, widens the mic opening, adds a wind screen (pop filter) and a 1oz weight to the microphone shell.
More info: http://www.7000mic.com/

You can write your own review of the AB5N - Icom HM-151 - IC-7000 mic. modification.

MM0MUN Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2012 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Great upgrade  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great service, 21 day turnaround from Scotland and that was over the Xmas and New Year holiday! The results? Just amazing, Im getting reports like "great modulation" "Booming in here" "really punchy audio" etc etc! The best £££s iv spent since I bought the 7000.
If you have an IC 7000 get the mic shipped out to Bob you wont regret it Im sure.

Thanks again Bob 73s Eddie MM0MUN

GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2012 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Mic Magic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the component parts from Bob, took a look at his excellent installation video and had the mod fitted and mic up and running in less than twenty-five minutes. We then conducted comparison tests with a standard HM-151 and the difference was like day and night, especially noticeable on FM.To say I was pleased would be an understatement, I only hope Icom are listening and learning.
I thoroughly recommend this modification, for it makes a good sounding rig even better.

ZL1KAN Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2011 22:56 Send this review to a friend
Bobs Mod to HM-151 Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bob well done again, I'm a Satisified Icom-7000 owner with the excellent reports from overseas QSO's with the mod.
Should have done the Mod when I got the Rig last Year Now I know what I missed out on.

The Mic settings you provide are magic.
All Icom -7000 owners should get this Mod you wont be disappointed.

Thanks Bob 73's ZL1KAN

K5AGO Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2011 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded Expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had high expectations given all the great eHam reviews and even those expectations were exceeded. Bob kept me in the loop every step of the way, provided same day service and my comparison tests of before and after show a remarkable improvement. I am a very satisfied customer.

N2HUC Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2011 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio at a Great Price!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased an Icom IC-7000 last summer and read all the reviews on the radio and the stock microphone audio issues prior to my purchase. Those poor audio and drive reports were all true. The radio is absolutely fantastic with all those useful features and bands, so much so that Iím having trouble finding a matching base rig to beat it, but the audio and drive on the stock mic was really poor to the point that no one really wanted to QSO with me. No radio settings or advised adjustments helped much at all, if any. I stopped operating until I could get a chance to do the AB5N microphone modification. The wait was killing me!

AB5N gave many good examples of audio improvement on his site and on YouTube, so I felt confident it was well worth the price and decided to give it a try. He was on vacation for that month when I was ready to order, and I wanted to operate very badly. I contacted him and he was willing to sell me a kit due to my experience with SMD component level repair. He provided overkill video instructions on an included CD, but I welcomed that over nothing. No questions should be left after those thorough instructions. The mod was easy to do and the kit was complete with ballast for weighting the mic, if you so desire. I used a few of the supplied BBís and shot the rest (hi hi).

(Now for the moment of truth.) "You are mobile?" "You sound like a home station.(many bands)" "That is the best mobile I have ever heard! (75m)" "Are you running extra power?" "100 watts, really? (75m/40m)" "What microphone are you using?" "Sounds as good as all the studio mics and external EQís and compressors around here (40m ragchew net)." "I wish my mobile did that well (10m DX into Ireland)". "Where can I get that mod? (too many to list)" These unsolicited reports are very common from my contacts on all bands from 75m to 10m. People go out of their way to ask me what I am using and where they can get it. I went from zero to hero overnight (hi hi). I can now hang on 40m and 75m with just my 100 watt mobile and High Sierra HS-1500 antenna! DX is also very easy. If I hear it, I can work it. Ragchews for hours on 10m down to 17m. HK3C (formally HK3OZ) immediately picked up on the sound of the mic mod and knew I did the mod. His comment was, "Everyone with a 7000 should do this mod. It sounds great." Signal reports also went way up, as every watt of the 100 watts is being used throughout the passband. No audio spectrum holes...no dead frequency areas...just full and robust audio. My previous S6 reports became the very common S9 reports I now get. I heard a couple of recordings someone made on their station and I could not believe that was my station I was hearing played back. Strapping "broadcast quality" audio on my wide setting and clean balanced punch on my compressor setting.

About settings...I set my three TX BW filters for full, punch and contest or pileup buster operation. I adjusted the mic gain to what many people reported as "right there". A few times I lowered it slightly without announcement and that drop was noticed, so it went back to the sweet spot. Compression is really not needed, but a touch gets you "to 11 for that extra push over the cliff" when you need it (on average, 1 S unit higher). It picks up a bit of road noise, so I donít use it while moving much. It is a pileup buster with my voice keyer callsign memory recorded at 16" away from the mic on the MID setting transmitted with the processor on. The voice keyer recorder has forced compression while recording and also uses the TBW setting you select, so saying "check" a couple of times prior to recording, and recording at some distance produces clearer keyer recordings. If you record set on MID TBW, then you get MID audio on playback. Here are my stored settings that have proven successful:

WIDE 100-2900 gain = 80 comp off
MID 200-2900 gain = 80 comp 1 12" away
NAR 300-2900 gain = 80 comp 1 12" away

NOTES: The NAR setting doesnít work better than the MID setting because too much voice fundamental is cut off on the low end. I rarely use it. Most stations report the WIDE setting sounds best, and I talk across the front of the mic about 2" away, and not directly into the mic. The power out meter really nails a full 100 watts with this setup, without distortion or unnecessary breath noise. ALC is well in the zone. Many also report the MID setting sounds good too, but prefer the WIDE setting for full robust audio. Using the MID setting with compression set to the lowest level above zero (1), and talking 12" away from the mic produces less "broadcast" quality low frequency, but adds great punch. It still has plenty of fullness. NAR is too thin. One other thing I discovered about the radio is that it saves the last used TBW filter selection for COMP on and COMP off, so I selected MID for COMP on and WIDE for COMP off. The F2 button on the mic has been programmed to toggle between comp on/off. (F1 for TONE selections) Iím done with microphone setup, and operating with a strong clear signal. Nothing left to adjust. Just perfect!

A big thanks to Bob Nagy (AB5N), who did a great job engineering perfect microphone audio for the 7000. No need for us to try hundreds of combos to see what works. I would buy a mic mod for every one of my radios if Bob engineered them (come on Bob...you can do it!). And the price is very fair with top-notch support and service. You will like it. :)

VE3BDE Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2011 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Outstandig A++++  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Super Fast results,outstanding service I highly recommend Bob's modification for the HM-151
Now all my reports are 59+20db super clean audio everybody ask me what kind the radio and mic I use.
Bob you are a genius my friend.Icom should reward you!!!God Bless you and 73'Gabriel VE3BDE

K5KNM Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2011 21:13 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT MIC! EXCELLENT SERVICE!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a difference in audio quality and feel. The extra weight makes the mic feel like a good quality mic instead of some cheap cheesy stock mic. All the reviews on this mic mod say it all! The service Bob provides is first class. I had the mic shipped out, modified and returned in 4 days! If you have an Icom 7000 and are thinking about doing this mod, don't hesitate and do it now!

ND5T Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2011 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Above and Beyond  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent a non working mic to Bob, he repaired the Mic, preformed the upgrade, and shipped everything back to me before I could send my email about the Mic not working. he included a note on the work and cost of the repair, with an option if I wanted to pay him for the repair. I put a check in the mail the same day. This is one of the good guys who will go above and beyond

VE7HJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2011 23:54 Send this review to a friend
David Clark Headset Mod  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I modified a David Clark Headset to use with an older Icom radio. I asked Bob if he would install the microphone mod so I could use them with my new IC-7000. He said send them to me with the Heil Adapter without the Cap. What a great job he did and they were back to me in time for Field Day. The microphone really makes the IC-7000 audio sound great and drives the radio way better than the stock microphone.

Thanks Bob!!

DB1ULI Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2011 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Pure Ham Spirit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bob did a wonderful job by inventing this mod, my audio is now 1A. Thanks for this and his support like answering to all my mails very fast, a superb video manual an a really good price for all components incl. shipping to germany. This is what I call a real Ham Spirit.
This modification is a must have for all IC-7000 owners! I recorded my audio before and afterwards, what a difference!
73 from Germany - Uli