Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-450 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450
Yaesu FT-450 Reviews: 233 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $aprox 999.00 new
Description: The FT-450 is a rugged, innovative multi-band, multimode portable transceiver for the amateur radio HF & 6M bands. Providing coverage of the 160-10 meter bands plus the 6 m, the FT-450 includes operation on the SSB, CW, AM, FM, and Digital modes, yielding the most comprehensive performance package available for field operation.

Designed for use from an external DC power source, the FT-450 provides 100 watts of power output from a 13.8-Volt external power supply, 160 - 6 meter coverage
More info: http://foxtango.org/FT-450/Yaesu_FT-450.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450.

KC9WQR Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2014 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my FT450AT used from a local SK estate. I honestly believe that this is one of the best kept secrets out there. I wish someone would've told me earlier how great these rigs are. I've owned an ICOM 718 dsp and still own a Yaesu FT-817nd. I like my FT450AT for it's purpose of a base. I wouldn't hesitate to take it portable or mobile either. I gave it the marks I did due to it's all around versatility and function.

NW8Z Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2014 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Transceiver!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Yaesu FT-450 now more than once. For all the features that you get for the cost, it's a ton of radio. I have owned the Icom Pro II, Yaesu FT-950, Kenwood TS 570s, Kenwood TS-590s and many others and still love the FT-450's feature set.

It's easy to get into the menu and do any adjusting that you need to do. I always get great reports all over the world. Only thing that I wish there was available would be direct frequency entry. I was told that John from QSYer may take it on to make a QSYer that would work for the FT-450, but that it would require a different programming altogether.

I love the Posinegative screen myself and have one of the newer AT models right before the D model came out. Meaning that I can't change the Color of the Display. I learned quickly that one can still change the color with Gel filters that they use in lighting in Hollywood and the movies.

I love my FT-450 and plan on keeping it for years to come. It's all I need to hear Shortwave, SSB, CW and most all of the Digital modes.

73's

26JLH Rating: 1/5 Dec 29, 2013 21:08 Send this review to a friend
total vomet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i have had this radio for 4 weeks recieve audio
sounds crap i just cant understand what people are saying its that bad.
please dont waste your money get an icom i got a pro
for what i gave for this pile of poo.

jeff ..

KA3RCS Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2013 02:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent field/backup/etc. rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I remember when the FT-450 was announced, the first thing which struck me was the beautiful display. I already had an FT-857 in the mobile and an FT-817 for portable use, so I never really planned to get one. However, when I found a great deal at a hamfest last year (a nearly mint FT-450AT for < $500), I couldn't resist, and have not regretted picking it up for a second!

The FT-450 is a superb communications transceiver. It is very rugged and reliable. It's also very stable, thanks in part to the TCXO which is included as a standard feature. I adjusted the TCXO while tuned to WWV to obtain precisely the same tone frequency on USB and LSB as well as AM, and subsequently it has never drifted perceptibly regardless of temperature.

I often run it with the 80 meter horizontal loop at our club site (fed with open wire line and tuned with an LDG tuner and balun; covers 160-6), and am regularly amazed at the signal reports I receive as well as the pileups which I can break through with just the stock microphone and 100 watts. I even worked Europe on 75M SSB in August with said setup, which I would not have thought possible.

The construction and appearance of the radio are top-notch. The display is simply gorgeous! One of the few points which I would change on the nearly perfect FT-817 and FT-857 would be to use a similar reverse LCD with a dark background like that of the FT-450.

The MH-67A8J mic included with the FT-450 is actually the stock mic for some Vertex commercial radios. It is a proper condenser mic, and offers far better audio quality than the atrocious MH-31A8J dynamic mic which sadly and mysteriously ships with (and degrades) many radios, including the FT-450D. It also does not exhibit the RFI susceptibility of the DTMF and remote control mics (MH-36E8J and MH-59A8J), which otherwise offer the superior audio of condenser elements. Best TX audio with the MH-67 appears to result from setting the mic EQ to 0 and mic gain to normal or high. The fact that the speech processor is automatically active in the two highest mic gain settings seems a bit odd at first, but in practice seems to work well.

One pleasant surprise is that the receiver tunes down to 30 kHz, and actually receives signals, whereas many other Yaesu models only tune down to 100 kHz. It is often possible to hear the amplitude keying of WWVB on 60 kHz (as well as many NDBs and so on) with an HF antenna which is far from optimum at LF. Unfortunately, the front end is not optimized for these frequencies, and the attenuator is permanently enabled below 1.7 MHz, so the sensitivity is not as good as it could be.

The FT-450 appears to have a similarly efficient final stage to that of the FT-857 and similar radios. It seems to be a well-kept secret, but some radios (such as the IC-706 and IC-7000) will not develop full transmit power if the DC input voltage drops much below 13.8 volts. They also draw considerably more current even at much lower power levels. Ironically, this makes them unsuitable for reasonable operation from a battery unless a 13.8 volt charging system is active. The DC system at our club site maxes out at 13.2 volts, and drops to around 12 when many loads are active. The FT-450, just like the FT-857, has no problem working at full power in this environment. An IC-7000 which was once connected to the same system only managed to squeeze out 60 watts or so.

The FT-450 does have a few negative points, but they do not detract sufficiently from the overall package for me to reduce my rating. I would probably give it a 4.5, but as such is not an option, I rounded it to a 5. These points are:

- The maximum receive audio bandwidth is not as wide as it should be. This is an excellent communications radio, which offers communications audio...period. The audio is very clean, but is not high fidelity by any stretch. The FT-817, FT-857, and FTdx3000 (for example) all offer considerably better low and high end frequency response. I've run the above models on the same external speaker at the same site, which I believe makes it a fair comparison. Wider audio is definitely more pleasant under good conditions (strong signals, minimal QRM and QRN) on SSB as well as AM. However, for Field Day, DXing, contesting, emergency communications, and so on (i.e. the target use cases of this radio), the FT-450's audio is quite adequate.

- The DSP functions often really help under bad conditions, though more/finer adjustments and a second notch filter would be welcome.

- The menu offers many useful functions, but only one of them may be assigned to the C.S. key. There really should be a bank of programmable buttons to accommodate more of these functions simultaneously, and/or the ability to reassign other currently dedicated keys to different functions.

- The radio really needs some kind of tilt bail. They figured this out on the FT-450D, and there are apparently several options available. I put two stacks of rubber feet on mine as an interim workaround until I obtain something more appropriate. Note that the tuning knob works great with the radio elevated a bit; I totally don't understand the complaints about it being too small (but then again, even the FT-817 tuning knob is great for the size of that radio).

- It would be nice if the buttons were backlit as they are on the FT-450D, but it isn't a deal breaker by any means.

- The LCD backlight PWM signal tends to couple into the mic audio. With the backlight set to off or full brightness, no signal is coupled. At any interim brightness setting, an audio buzz may be heard in the TX audio. Mine was quite low already, but I knocked it down to almost nothing by adding a ground wire between the front panel PCB and the main chassis. I was able to accomplish this with ring terminals under existing screws, so no permanent changes were necessary.

In summary, the FT-450 is a rock-solid HF/6M transceiver which should provide reliable communications under just about any conditions. Other radios offer more bands and better audio, but at a good used price point, it's really hard to beat. At the new price (of the FT-450D, which is almost identical), I would buy an FT-857 instead.

26JLH Rating: 4/5 Nov 20, 2013 13:18 Send this review to a friend
yaesu 450 hovercraft  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
works well fan blows fast and strong i thought it was going to fly out of the window.
radio works well out of the box,i had to get a tilt bale and a case handle should be on it from new.
got this used and it in nice shape.
also has the atu as for the dsp it works ok but it will never get rid of the noise to zero but its a good tool in a town qth like mine.
looks a little ugly but i dont care for looks it makes me feel i need to get my old vhs tapes out.
cw filter ok for my use but not stellar.
tnx jeff

ZL1LK Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2013 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a 2009 model FT450AT second hand off the internet, it is like brand new condition and the receiver side is fantastic. But as I spoke into the microphone, I could hear myself braking through the speaker. It sounded like an SSB station being picked up on an AM receiver. It seemed to be the worst radio I have ever owned and it was very off putting hearing Donald Duck coming through the speaker every time I spoke.
I opened up the rig and unclipped the front head unit just to find that the digital p c board attached to the main unit had all six screws missing and there had been no threads cut in to the casting for the screws. So therefore the board was just been held there by the two transistor mounting screws and the shield was just hanging there. This was a manufacturing error.
I tapped treads into the casting mounts and installed six new screws and guess what??? it no longer brake through the speaker.
I was going to give it a 1/5 for a good receiver, but now I will give it a big 5/5.

I can not fault this radio and the CW on its narrowest filter is perfect and it is very easy to use without the manual.
It seems to be my most used radio now, I have a IC7410 and a FT847, I prefer the FT450.

The only thing that Yaesu left off, was a tilt arm to raise the front up.

73 Roy ZL1LK

GM0WNR Rating: 3/5 Oct 23, 2013 13:40 Send this review to a friend
I tried so hard to like it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
First of all, let me say I'm a Yaesu man, through and through, so this review is not easy to write. How can I put it, I just didn't like the audio, it seemed muffled to me, it may just be my ears (51yr old) but it never produced a sweet cw note to me, even with the IF setting at its widest. There were several things I liked about the radio, the display was lovely and very bright, the size was nice, the digital IF filtering was built in, so no expensive after-market filters to fit. The noise floor was nice and low. In truth, I never got used to the small dia VFO dial, but that is something I could live with, and the tuning was either to fast or way too slow! To try and get a better sound I tried several combinations of extension speakers, all to no avail. As you can probably guess I sold the rig. And to be honest I doubt very much I will regret the decision, don't know as yet what I'll replace it with, as the '450 certainly gave good bang for the buck, but, at the end of the day, if you don't switch on the radio because you don't like the audio, then it's time for it to go!

SV2JAO Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2013 02:27 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Recently i buy a new Yaesu Ft-450D to use it on mobile and portable activities. It works great with mobile antenna Atas-120. The internal antenna tuner works great with a windom antenna that i have for portable. All functions on menu is easy and usefull. It has very good receiver and nice audio. All filters DSP etc. make the difference. Enjoy & 73s.

N7WR Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2013 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted a relatively inexpensive rig to use mobile in my truck. Found a good deal on a used FT450 (not D or AT). I did a custom install of the rig plus a scanner and 2/440 rig in the center console of my GMC Sierra pickup. I use a Opek HVT 600 antenna and the combination works well on 40-6 meters. The Noise Blanker eliminates ignition/etc noise from the truck very easily. I'm happy with it and regularly work DX especially on 12 and 17 meters

W1TAV Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2013 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Good for the $  Time owned: more than 12 months
For under $1K, it's good. I bought mine to fit into a space on a roll top desk station I put in my living room. At the time 3 years ago, they were being discounted to the $500 range when the FT-450D was brought out. The rig is not as intuitive as I would like, I find the menus (layered functions of the keys) confusing and the operation of the DSP to be very cumbersome. Frankly until I recently bought a Kenwood TS-590, I was blaming myself for not understanding the sequence of operation needed to operate a modern rig. The built in Yaesu Antennae Tuner is fair, again the Kenwood's tuner has the versatility a higher end LDG Tuner. Would I buy another FT-450/AT? Yes based on price and performance. No if I can spare a few bucks more after comparing it to Kenwood's approach to menus and auto tuner versatility. - Steve W1TAV