Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-450 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450
Yaesu FT-450 Reviews: 232 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $aprox 999.00 new
Description: The FT-450 is a rugged, innovative multi-band, multimode portable transceiver for the amateur radio HF & 6M bands. Providing coverage of the 160-10 meter bands plus the 6 m, the FT-450 includes operation on the SSB, CW, AM, FM, and Digital modes, yielding the most comprehensive performance package available for field operation.

Designed for use from an external DC power source, the FT-450 provides 100 watts of power output from a 13.8-Volt external power supply, 160 - 6 meter coverage
More info: http://foxtango.org/FT-450/Yaesu_FT-450.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450.

W8RPE Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2008 16:20 Send this review to a friend
A keeper!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I really like this radio. I did my research on the radio BEFORE I bought it. A novel idea, eh? The 450 has performed flawlessly for me. It has an excellent receiver and is easy on the ears. The DSP is very effective if you spend time to learn how to use it properly. Audio reports with a Heil GM4 have been great. I didn't opt for the built in tuner. When given a choice for the on board auto-tuner at an additional $100 or not, you're better off buying an LDG or MFJ auto-tuner. I’ve owned a few of the high end radios out there and the 450 is closer to high end performance than to an “entry level” transceiver…which to me would be a used rig from the 70’s or 80’s. If you’re trying to decide between the IC-718 and FT-450 and choose the 718, then you haven’t done your homework. I used both side by side and it’s not even an apples to apples comparison. This rig has features that many high end radios of (recent) years past and costing three or four times as much didn’t have! For the price, features and quality, the 450 can’t be beat. It’s in a class all its own.

KA1VF Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2008 13:32 Send this review to a friend
fantastic $$$ value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I traded my FT-757GXII on 02/28/08 for FT-450AT
at HRO and I'm still a "happy camper". This rig
is absolutely fantastic, and it got me back on
CW after an eleven year hiatus. I've mostly used
it just for CW, but also it got me on 6 meter
SSB which is a new band for me. I've already had
four firmware upgrades since buying this new rig.
Hopefully, I'll get it connected to my IBM laptop
for Digital mode usage.

NJ2H Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2008 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Still works great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I reviewed my FT-450AT some months ago and just wanted to give an update after a few months of use. I am absolutely 100% satisfied with it. I got used to twirling the small dial and that is no longer an issue (the detent in the knob is useless). The AT tunes my AV-640 very well and gives it better broadband performance. In short, this radio is an amazing value.

VK5SW Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2008 02:25 Send this review to a friend
Great little Radio...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned my FT-450 for 6 months or so now and have just finished operating it in the 2008 Oceania DX CW Contest... I must say that the Intermodulation Distortion characteristics of this radio are very good... It operates very well on 40Mx CW in this respect and is able to copy very weak signals well... The narrow filter position for CW is very adequate and once you get to know the menu system, it's straight forward to operate with good positioning of the various knobs and buttons... I particularly like the scanning functions too... In summary, a great little radio and excellent value for money... You can see my station at www.VK5SW.com

KE7TRP Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2008 01:06 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned my 450AT for about a week of solid use. The menu system is fine for me. I am used to that as I use a Yaesu 8800R dual bander each day also.

This radio is a great bargain. The DSP and filter contour takes some time to learn. The power is a solid 100 watts on my Bird 43P meter. Audio reports are fantastic on the air with the stock hand mic.

The best feature is the Reciever. I did side by side tests with other radios and this one flat out hears stations I cannot on other and older radios. I use a 80 meter dipole and the RX is so strong, I normaly run with the IPO turned on to kill one preamp. When I hooked this radio up it was a whole new world of activity. I hear stations on 80,40 and 20 24 hours a day now. With my older rigs, I would sit for days to hear just a few stations when the band was open. Buy this radio for the RX.

Complaints? Not to many

The sound from the small internal speaker is tinny sounding. I have tried several external speakers and I am currently using an External FT101 speaker. My main complaint is hard to explain. If someone is strong, They sound full and rich.. The fidelity is amazing. If a station is barely comming in, they are light and fuzzy sounding. A few turns of the DSP and filters fixes this for the most part.

P.S My radio is the latest version with the color display, Built in AT tuner and latest firmware. I have 3 filter settings as some only have two. My tuner matches from 3 to 1 down to 1.1 everytime and takes just seconds for it to do this.

In Short, A fantastic radio for the money. You cant touch it for this kind of cash.

AA1BW Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2008 11:31 Send this review to a friend
A good radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own the 450 for 10 months now. I also have the FT-857 and 817 radios as well as the good old FT-101ZD. I also know other Kenwood and Icom rigs.
I was very satisfied with the FT-857, but by playing with the 450 I got to like it, and it landed on my desk.
Generally it is a good radio. The receiver is slightly better than the 857. But as the manual says, you have several filters to tune, and it requires expertise to do it properly and effectively. I dont't think that after a week or so, you are good in it. It took me several months to try it during different conditions.
The TX is good, solid 100Watts.
My only complaint is the internal tuner. It will not even try to match if the SWR is bad. Too bad for portable ops !!! A new firmware is really needed for the tuner, to at least try, and get a better match (ie., from 1:5 to 1:2.8 or so).
Anyway it is a new way a radios is built. This DSP concept is really good, and will probably evolve and get even better.
I like this radio, find it good on RX and TX.

Lajos
AA1BW and HA0DR

KD8ENP Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2008 21:01 Send this review to a friend
This Rig Delivers  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first HF Rig. After some tinkering (and yes, consulting the manual) I was able to figure out the features that interested me. Since I live in a really noisy environment, I use it away from my home QTH a lot. I like the fact that it is small and light enough to take with me.

I opted for one without the internal ATU since there are external ones that are better, and can be used in other rigs if I need to. I am also considering purchasing an MFJ-1026 noise canceling device, which would render an internal ATU unusable.

I have only used it for digital modes once, at Field Day and it worked alright. I have not tried the new rig control software from Yaesu yet, but it looks promising.

There are some oddities I don't really understand such as only ONE user defined button and even though the display could be set to just about any color, Yaesu disables this ability(or in some firmware versions, hides it in the special service menu). I will still give it a 5 since none of that is a deal-breaker for me. I knew about this stuff when I bought the rig. I know others write that the buttons should be backlit and the tuning knob should be bigger, and I guess those features would be nice, but as a whole, this rig really beats the competition for its price/feature ratio.

M0SAY Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2008 03:47 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello all well the ft-450 is a very good radio but I found the built in ATU not very good with my g5rv antenna i.e. it would not tune so I went in to the hidden menu there is 3 menus
HF1SWR, HF2SWR ,HF3SWR there default setting is 85 for all 3 so I haltered them to 150 witch moves the tolerance higher and now it tunes great but you do this at your own risk,i really love the radio I have a kenwood 950sdx and I tend to use the the yaesu 450 more now it tunes great I cant say any thing wrong about the radio but I wish yaesu would have put back lights in the keys and a different mic, on the early models you could change the colours but I have a late model and its mono which I am not keen on other than that the 450 is great value for money, and if you want a do it all radio with a nice ATU well buy the yaesu ft-450 you will not regret it David m0say

KC9OEK Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2008 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Very good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using mu FT-450AT for a month now and am very happy with it. It is a VERY solid radio - very high quality. It has alot of capability - and I would highly recommend spending the extra $100 to get the built in tuner. I do wish the VFO was larger, but it has a nice feel to it - especially when compared to the loose and wobbly VFO on the Icom 718. The transmit audio is great. Now... the built in speaker is horrible. Please Yaesu, beef up that speaker a little - and you'd hit a complete home run! I am very fond of this radio, but I do have some advice for anyone considering this for a 1st radio: try out other radios, just to make sure you dont wanna spend a little more to get a "big box" radio. Yes, I want a 2nd, larger more capable radio, but I will never part with the 450!

EA4AFP Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2008 03:46 Send this review to a friend
it could be excellent, but...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi,

I needed a transceiver for 6 meters and a backup box for HF. I saw the review from the ARRL and checked features and performance against “big boxes”. Nice surprise!. The price in EA is 880 euros including 5 years warranty, tuner, taxes and shipment. Nothing cheaper here for all the things you get. As “big boxes” are expensive, the final decision is easy.

I have used (9 months) my rig under these conditions:
- SSB and RTTY HF operation (mostly in contest operation) and 6 meters SSB.
- quiet environment.
- ATU used a couple of times.
so check reviews about noise environments, ATU and CW operation..

Pros:
- Notch and bandwidth settings. You can remove lots of QRM.
- Quiet fan.
- Info in the display.
- Audio recording and playing features.

Weak points:
- CONTOUR and DNR: I have not found a single QSO where these features could improve the received signal.
- IF width for RTTY. You have to use SSB settings. Narrower is 1.8 KHz, which is too much. There is a way to use CW settings, but you have to use split operation. For a standard QSO its OK, but imagine all the keys you have to push in a contest S&P operation. The good news are that you can use NOTCH together with the 0.5 KHz CW setting and you get an impressive selectivity.
- The MIC. Even my very old Kenwood TS50 comes with “UP” and “DOWN” controls and 4 user-programmable keys, that you can use to customise with usual settings you change. Nothing like this in this case.
- User configurable keys. You have only one, while at the same time several keys have useless functions (at least from my point of view).
- Noise reduction features had to be managed at the same time. A computer controlled operation could also solve this, but Yaesu does not provide any program.

Conclusions:
- Most of the problems I (and many other reviewers) got can be solved with a new firmware version. Is Yaesu going to listen us?
- I have paid more attention to weak points because solving some of them could put this little radio at top level radios. The problem is that Yaesu could be fighting against their own portfolio.
- Really you enjoy every euro you pay. I recommend this toy. This is why it gets 4 out of 5, regardless of the weak points.

A narrower roofing filter could improve contest operation and help beating “big boxes”. Are you planning any, INRAD?.