Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-450 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450
Yaesu FT-450 Reviews: 234 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $aprox 999.00 new
Description: The FT-450 is a rugged, innovative multi-band, multimode portable transceiver for the amateur radio HF & 6M bands. Providing coverage of the 160-10 meter bands plus the 6 m, the FT-450 includes operation on the SSB, CW, AM, FM, and Digital modes, yielding the most comprehensive performance package available for field operation.

Designed for use from an external DC power source, the FT-450 provides 100 watts of power output from a 13.8-Volt external power supply, 160 - 6 meter coverage
More info: http://foxtango.org/FT-450/Yaesu_FT-450.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450.

G0RRL Rating: 3/5 Mar 29, 2008 10:43 Send this review to a friend
450 a novelty radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
having purchased the FT-857D & read good and bad reviews .. i have to say out of the box my 857 outshines the 450!! ive been given good transmit reports for both .. but my opinion of the receiver is that .. this one (mine) is very noisy & low gain during daylight hours. i also like to tune around outside the ham bands .. & have recordings of some of my previously owned radios. my best recordings still comes from my old FRG-7. not a transceiver i know .. but my old FRG-7 was also fitted with a variable IF filter .. (contrary to other negative opinions ive read) it worked very well .. & with less background noise makes its hot for DX work. yeah the FET BFO is drifty ..
anyhow .. the FT-450 has nice DSP filters. the front panel controls are better than the 857 by far .. but im sorry .. im still not impressed with it as a radio.

N4KZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 21, 2008 12:26 Send this review to a friend
An excellent buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm impressed with my new FT-450. With Yaesu's instant $250 rebate, this rig, purchased to be my HF back-up behind my Icom Pro3, has got to be the most HF radio for the least money that one can buy at present.

I like the big LCD read-out but thought the white text was boring to look at. I accessed the hidden menu and now my read-out is a nice blue-green but I could have changed it to any one of several colors. Much more visually appealing, I think.

SSB audio reports have been good. I haven't fired it up yet on CW but it sounds fine on receive. But I do wish the 500 Hz CW filter was narrower, say 250 or 300 Hz. I don't much care for having to use the SSB filters for the digital modes. When on PSK31 on my Pro3, I use a 50 Hz filter. I only see one signal at a time on the waterfall but the
narrow filter vastly improves the signal-to-noise ratio and copy of weak signals.

I also have an FT-857D which will now be mainly used for 2 meters and as a HF mobile back-up. The FT-450 has less internal receiver noise and while I am still evaluating the DSP capabilities, it's clear to me that the 450's DSP works better and is much more accessible -- with front-panel controls -- compared to the 857D where you have to go into the menu system to activate the DSP.

Some reviewers have lamented the small size of the tuning knob. It is unusually small for a HF rig but the DSP/SEL knob can be programmed to tune quickly in 1-, 2.5- or 5-kHz steps thus making it easy and fast to tune down or up the band. Under that circumstance, the need for a large, weighed tuning knob is lessened.

While the FT-450 isn't in the same league as the Pro3, neither is the price. The 450 is quite a good buy and an excellent entry-level rig or
back-up. Despite its modest price, the FT-450 has features that you couldn't get a few years ago regardless of price.

G0YAP Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2008 01:16 Send this review to a friend
SUPERB!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was looking for a new hf rig after being qrt for a while. I wanted a compact portable hf with auto atu... the FT450 fitted the bill. In the past I have owned FT900ATs, Kenwood TS50, Alinco DX70TH, FT747s, Icom706 Mk1 and 2g, but this little radio is by far the BEST radio I have ever owned for hf, plus the added bonus of 6mtrs. The receiver is first class, the dnr is great and really cuts down the qrm. I use a local 6 mtr repeater on fm and the reports are very good and far better audio than my FT8900. Reports on ssb are always good, clear sharp audio, all this without even touching the audio adjust features. Cw operation is lovely, really sharp. The only downs sides are>> No prop up bale fitted... WHY??? I have found this being sold by Martin Lynch in London,(for 20.00, what a rip off!!) but I beleive it is off an FT840 although it does fit nicely. Secondly, the mic is very large and heavy. After a while on the air, my hand does really get tired and the ptt button is hard to push. I feel a base mic on it,s way. I have bought the optional carry handle which, for a portable rig, is not fitted as standard, although is was only 7.00 so not too bad. I use my 450 to listen to am broadcast and it does this very nicely. I like the fast 'channel' function which allows you to sweep the bands very quickly to look for activity. All in all, another superb radio for yaesu. I have had lots of gear over the years from all the makers, but I find if I buy Yaesu, I always seem to be happy with the radio. If you want a compact radio which will do the job /p /m /a /mm, you just cannot beat the FT450AT. Buy One and you will smile everytime you use it. Best 73s. de Ian, G0YAP.

NJ2H Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2008 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Mobile mount can work as bail  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great radio. For those concerned about the lack of a bail, you can use the $35 mobile mount, though as others have pointed out you can paint a 1x2 for next to nothing.

K5RAN Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2008 23:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since the mid 70's I've only owned Yaesu rigs, had the FT-101E, FT-890, FT-1000D and now the FT-450AT. The FT-1000D was the best rig I have ever owned, and to have to sell it for financial reasons, was very hard. Recently, being debt free, I bought the FT-450AT and a RS-35A power supply for $899, an excellent price.

The FT-450 is better than the FT-890 I had (early 90's)- on CW, the 450's IF passband doesn't ring as much, noise blanker is much better, the keyer is more easily controlled, I like the CW training feature, you have your 500 Hertz filter, without putting one in, which was very difficult to install on the FT-890, the 450 is a really nice package. Fifteen years of improved technology makes a difference.

It still doesn't beat the FT-1000D for CW - the 1000D has 4 filters, a better noise blanker, and no matter how bad the conditions, you could pull a cw signal through the mud. I have a lot of mud - a 24/7 20 db over S9 arc that really affects 40 meters, so the 250 htz filter with the light that would come on when you had the cw signal right in the middle - the FT-1000D could almost make CW boring, you could hear anything.

Some time with the very good manual on the FT-450(after I tried it the other way first) got me on the air on CW, and I was able to set it up just like I like it.

Two minor complaints: the the key jack is in the front, it and the headphone jack are mini jacks, not the traditional phone jacks of the past. Using adapters that I've had around for years didn't work very well - I did find one for the Bencher Key phone plug, that worked well, but I'll have to buy a new phono to mini cable - the extension speaker cable out in back of the rig had to be in a "special place" (you had to hold the cable in a certain way to make it work).

I understand why, of course, the new technology kept the size of the rig so small that I was able to put the FT-450AT and the RS-35A on a corner of a table that I also have a huge Hallicrafters SX-62B, which is fabulous on AM broadcast band - really hi-fi.

I don't think you can go wrong with the FT-450AT, which runs for $749 with the coupon, and I expect to use it until I'm a silent key (hopefully 25 years, I'm 66).

EB3BRJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2008 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio, especially for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I owned the FT-450AT for about five months now. The price has come down to 850 Euros in Spain where I think is going to stay for some time.
It is a good radio, the receiver is reasonably sensitive with interesting DSP capabilities. The contour filter helps big time with speech intelegibility on low signal stations. The IF Width selection is OK for SSB and CW but clearly insuficient for digital modes, where at least a 500Hz width would needed.
I find the operation using the "select" knob simple enough to use, it just take a while to get used. I also own a FT-2000 and, off course, having independent knobs for each DSP function is great but we are talking about 3x the price tag.
Also found the fact that the menu canot be accessed while Tx and vice versa quite annoying. More mic gain settings are also missed.
INO it compares favorably with Kenwood's TS480AT, specially considering that it costs 100 Euros less than the later and needs no aditional IF filters.
The size is compact and convenient, and the fan is silent.
So, overall, I think is a good all around radio (not contest or anything close to FT950 or FT-2000) for phone and CW operation.

W9UCR Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2008 04:30 Send this review to a friend
Ham Heaven!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using an FT-857D for HF, VHF and UHF for over a year now and was intrigued with the specs for the IF DSP on the little FT-450, so decided to pick one up with plans to peddle the 857D on EBay. Cost: $650.00 from AES. Amazing!

I've had the new radio for a couple of months now and it performs even better than I had hoped. I have a serious line noise problem at this QTH, but the 450 has made it possible for me to operate all the time even when the QRN is at its worst.

The bandpass options are adequate and for my operating habits (mostly CW, ragchewing and no contests or DX.) A simple piece of 1x2 painted matte black (found a spray can in the garage) solves the lack of a bail and the small tuning knob is no big deal. The menu system is similar enough to that on the 857D so the learning curve was not a problem. In a couple of sessions the manual was put on the shelf and used only occasionally since.

After a couple of months of using the 450 on HF and the 857D on the other bands I realized I have it all here and a back-up radio on HF if necessary. Nope, I'm not selling anything on EBay. My little setup has me smiling in Ham Heaven. Thanks Yaesu!

PHOOBARNVAZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2008 00:08 Send this review to a friend
Love mine!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had mine for about a month. Being this is my first HF/6M rig...having an FT-1802 2M I was using previously...am so happy I got this unit. Sure... others are complaining about the small tuning knob. From the 1802 I was using...it is the right size & is perfect for my base rig. Even have the display set up for dark red LED's to make it easier & nicer to use for me.

The only thing I will mention that I do not like is the lack of a separate 6M antenna connector. Would be nice not having to use a separate switch to run a vertical for the band.

AD5VM Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2008 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Cant beat it for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own an FT-2000/DMU at home but I needed something small for camping trips.

Very happy with it. I like the noise reduction better on the FT-450 than the FT-2000.

I added the handle, ATU and a tilt bail and still have under $725 invested... Can't beat that. My FT-2000/DMU/19in monitor cost $3500. I was showing my non ham wife the new FT-450 and she said 'what can your big radio do that this one cant?'
......... ummmm.....uhhhhhhh.........ummmmmm....

N4APK Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2008 20:12 Send this review to a friend
very good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up my radio from GigaParts in Huntsville for $575. Great radio,great price,and excellent people to do business with. Thanks George for your great service. I wanted a radio i could use portable,but i find that i enjoy using it as much as my regular base radio. No folding desk stand,small vfo knob, no big deal for me. Very pleased with radio.