Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-450 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450
Yaesu FT-450 Reviews: 232 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $aprox 999.00 new
Description: The FT-450 is a rugged, innovative multi-band, multimode portable transceiver for the amateur radio HF & 6M bands. Providing coverage of the 160-10 meter bands plus the 6 m, the FT-450 includes operation on the SSB, CW, AM, FM, and Digital modes, yielding the most comprehensive performance package available for field operation.

Designed for use from an external DC power source, the FT-450 provides 100 watts of power output from a 13.8-Volt external power supply, 160 - 6 meter coverage
More info: http://foxtango.org/FT-450/Yaesu_FT-450.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450.

AF4K Rating: 2/5 Feb 9, 2013 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Good basic radio but hard to control  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the FT450AT new a couple of years ago. After watching a glowing review of the newer FT450D on U-tube, I had to let others know what to expect with any of the FT450 series radios if you are considering one.
This radio is only suitable for the casual user who does not want to use most of it's fancy capabilities in my opinion. For the video, look for: "Yaesu FT-450D Walkthrough" or see below.

There are plenty of positives here. Good display. Good audio with an external speaker. Nice microphone.

I switch HF bands and modes and make adjustments frequently. They were not easy for me with this rig.

An interesting and cheerful review video. This seems like a glowing recommendation - no negatives that I could hear or see! OK the FT450D main tuning knob is beefier, but the menus still drive me nuts. This is the most difficult radio I have ever used. I am so glad it "improves third order imd dynamic range," but...

After 40 plus years of using every type of amateur radio equipment imaginable, this radio had to go. Yes, it was a bad buy in my view. A lot of guys buy them because of the price, but you will probably find yourself using the BOOK all of the time if you run CW - how do I change the keyer speed? Oops - can't do that without losing access to something else. Memory keyer? Beacon? Yes, they are there but totally impractical for me.

How do I get out of the menu? Search the book. How do I get out of the Function control status? Search the book. The DSP controls are highly adjustable and work nicely, but they can be downright tricky if you haven't adjusted them in a few weeks or have been off the air for a while. Search the book. I gave this radio a "2" because it really needs help. Simplify it or add some concentric controls or hidden controls so that we can get to all of the great capabilities it has.

An FT450 / 450AT / 450D could be great for you if you only want to operate one band and one mode all of the time, and don;t want to make many adjustments, but the menus could drive you crazy if you want to operate this like a normal radio that has lots of knobs for easily making the normal adjustments amateurs make when operating HF or 6m. The CW filters look like an improvement, but you will find yourself doing 5 or 6 key presses to go from one function to another while operating, and there is no way to mentally retain all of the steps and other information. Search the book. Maybe I am not too smart. The U-tube reviewer did not mention that it has no full break-in (QSK) for CW. The antenna tuner is one of the easier things to use. I liked that.

It is great that it has voice recording function. I never found that. Great that it has a beacon mode. News to me. I never found that either. Search the book. Trust me it is not easy to work with this radio's menu system. You must frequently search through the book and follow multiple steps to adjust most things, and by then the DX station is long gone!

The mode buttons are nice, sure, but there are a lot of functions, and I do mean a lot, with no control. You lose a lot of functionality without these controls. I found myself spending most of my radio time looking up settings and things in the book. Your mileage may vary, but I do not recommend this radio.

Sorry but the third order imd dynamic range being improved by 9 db or 11 db does not keep this radio from driving me nuts. Very stressful to operate. Don't expect armchair copy. For me it was straight jacket copy, unless you only want to adjust the RF Gain, AF Gain, main tuning and on-off switch. I sold mine. Your mileage may vary. I know some will disagree with me if they use the radio for different purposes than I did and I understand. There is something to like about every radio and this one has its positives.

Here is the cheery review on the tube:

G4IJE Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2013 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Great bang for the buck!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the "plain vanilla" FT-450 and use it mainly on SSTV. It handles the high duty cycle easily. With a Rigblaster or equivalent it should be good on all digi-modes. I just added a bail-stand (the one from Martin Lynch in the UK - I'm sure equivalents are available elsewhere) and it really makes a difference. Personally, I'd like a 6dB stepped attenuator rather than just on or off but I'm really nitpicking. A great radio!

KB9ZTF Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2012 16:29 Send this review to a friend
still a great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
well I have own this rig now for 5 years and thought i would update what I wrote 5 years or so back and I still love this rig and its still works as good as it did back when I bought it not one problem with this rig and still happy with the way it preforms for the price and all the features you get one hell of a rig and hook it up to hrd and its a even better rig with out all the menu's there are a lot of new rigs out there and the cost is some what more although for the cost of the 450 and what you get you still cant beat this rig as far as the new 450d it still the same rig with some miner differences well I hope to write again on this rig in another 5 years but for now its still working great 73

AD9Z Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2012 06:29 Send this review to a friend
I love it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned quite a few nice rigs, this for being in a small package is as good as it gets. I work SSB, as well as CW and it works great. If you want a good transceiver that doesn't break the bank, this is it!

M0HDX Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2012 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the best radios ive ever owned,Easy to operate,great on digi modes and very simple to set up,fantastic dsp and i ALWAYS get outstanding audio reports using the standard stock microphone.

K6NJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2012 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A great HF rig. I really like the DSP features as I live in an electrically noisy neighborhood. Rig puts out good power, easy to use, nice display and works great. Contacts all over the world on a G5RV antenna. I picked mine up used for $600 and I'm very satisfied. What more can you say?

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2012 07:38 Send this review to a friend
3 years later...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Sold/Traded my "original" FT-450AT, can't remember which now. I've had many radios in 3+ years (the bug bit hard Hi), always wanting to try a different one.
Well here we are a little over 3 years since my last review & guess what...
I'm running a 450AT again...
Go Figure.....
Per my earlier review this radio does more for the $$ than bigger buck rigs...
Maybe I'll even keep this one a while ;-}
.............
Rig deserves a 4.5, since there are some quirks/wants, but I rounded up to 5...

K2OWK Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2012 21:58 Send this review to a friend
2nd review after 2 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this transceiver for about two years now. I reviewed it in 2010 after having it just a few weeks. As promised here is my update. I have worked hundreds of stations with this radio, and all the reports have been excellent. I have been using a 30 amp Megawatt power supply, and still use the D104 mike (is there any other). I have a spinner knob bought from the same fellow on EBay that I got the flip up stand. The radio has been operating perfectly with absolutely no problems, and I can still highly recommended it.

K4GHR Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2012 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Upgrades for FT-450  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love my FT-450AT. It's a great, tough little rig that has an amazing feature set for the price.

You might want to know that Yaesu has some upgrades available for the FT-450 - a great new tuning knob that I highly recommend, tilt feet, and a carry handle. You can get all three for about $50 from Yaesu.

Enjoy!
Brent

KA0ZLG Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2012 10:53 Send this review to a friend
2ND REVIEW  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 2nd Review. ft450 D /w AT. I have had the radio 3+ years. it has been used in 3 field days running any ware from 15-20+ hr. either phone or CW. either mode is worked great. The DSP filtering is great, nice large display. Compact, great as a home base radio, Never used it mobile, I have the 857 for that. good audio, Audio is a bit tinny when the DSP but that is the DSP. The VFO knob is a bit small, the buttons are large enough for those that have fat fingers. The programmable buttons are great. I have one setup that lets you program so it will transmit only 10 watts into an external auto-tuner. you can also program voice or CW outgoing messages. Great for contest-- Saves on the voice)
I use an external speaker, mounted in the ceiling right above the operating location, and the sound is good, I have not used it in any of the digital modes, so I can't comment on them. I have used HRD, to control it just to do it. but have not used any of the other features like the digital.
If you get the radio on sale or a good used price Go for it...
SO YES I give this a 4.9 no BIG complaints