Reviews Categories | Microphones | Pryme SPM-102 Help

Reviews Summary for Pryme SPM-102
Pryme SPM-102 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: Lightweight, compact unit designed for light duty applications using Vertex radios. Features a powerful speaker as well as a high-quality condenser-style microphone element that produces excellent transmitted audio clarity. The microphone may be secured to the user's lapel or shoulder. Also features a built-in 3.5mm jack for using an external earphone, such as the LOOKOUT EH-100 or RECON EH-1000 series
More info: http://www.pryme.com/displaySeries.aspx?id=1

You can write your own review of the Pryme SPM-102.

K7RNO Rating: 4/5 May 24, 2013 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Excells in many aspects, disappoints in a few  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In its primary function as a speaker mic it is great and deserves a 5/5. Loud and clear speaker, mic produces clean undistorted signal.

The 4-conductor plug appears to stick a bit firmer in my FT-60 than the OEM SPM’s by Yaesu (I have that as well), but still, the cable should be secured behind the belt clip to prevent the plug from working itself loose and transmitting inadvertently.

I did not find the cable to be too short because I don't carry the HT on my belt (but in a chest pack). The cable is on the stiff side, though, in comparison with Yaesu’s, which I like better in that respect.

The swiveling lapel clip is bigger and stronger than that of the OEM version and I like it better. However, for me it takes two hands to open the clip if I don't want to have the mic slip out between my fingers like a wet cherry pit. Okay, I have very dry hands, but I am sure I am not the only one. Also, the entire speaker mic body is rather slippery in my hands and difficult to hold safely. The OEM version is not better, though, and I will do the same modification that I did with my OEM: add strategically placed hot glue beads to give this "wet soap bar" some grip. Pryme’s Trooper (2100 series) speaker mic is bigger and has a superior grip, but its cable is so stiff that it almost yanks the mic out of your hand if you move against the cable’s will. I had to return mine for that reason only.

My major disappointment is with the headphone jack. A one-ear surveillance bud will work just fine, but a stereo headset will only get sound in the left speaker. On the OEM version, if I pull the stereo plug out about 1 mm, I will have mono sound in both ears (I installed a permanent spacer to get it right). On this Pryme SPM, I need to pull the plug out more than half its length to have sound in both ears. Unfortunately, that jack is an enclosed and integrated unit that cannot be modified. I will have to think of something.

Also, the retainer of the rubber plug for that jack is too short and too close to the cable, and as a result it is totally in the way of the plug to go in. That is a minor design flaw but one that is aggravating when one needs to plug in an ear phone but can't because that rubber can’t get out of the way. Not good. I will have to cut mine off.

The current price is now $29 (a bit less than Yaesu’s).

VE3VWX Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2007 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Small but crisp and clear  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this speaker-mic about a year ago for use with an FT-60 and it has been a real performer. The only drawback is that the cord is a little short so it is best to stretch it out for a couple of days and heat it with a torch/blower so it does not coil back up completely.

The speaker is very loud and clear with no distortion.

The microphone is sensitive within a distance 12 inches from ones mouth. My audio quality has also been reported as being clean and crisp with the mic.

It is certainly a good light duty microphone which works in pretty much any weather. The XYL and I both use this model of mic and FT-60 radio's when skiing to communicate and on occasion when camping or canoing. While the microphone is not waterproof it is somewhat water resistant and can handle getting pretty soaked, extreme cold temperatures do not seem to have any effect.

I have dropped the mic a number of times and had it bounce off the floor, amazingly there have not been any ill effects to report despite the abuse.

The microphone is quite small, easily fitting in the palm of your hand making it discrete but still big enough to deliver.

For the price (less than $30) you can't go wrong if you would like a good light-duty mic.

Highly recommended!!!