Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | B&W Broadband Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for B&W Broadband Dipole
B&W Broadband Dipole Reviews: 20 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $279.95
Description: Broadband Folded Dipoles
More info: http://www.bwantennas.com/

You can write your own review of the B&W Broadband Dipole.

KA2QPG Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2011 06:26 Send this review to a friend
Works as it should  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used a similar T2FD, and it does what it's supposed to: radiates a signal on any ham band with an acceptable SWR. Of course, it's not an efficient antenna, but it works. On the lowest bands it is more like a lossy dummy load, but when you get up to bands where it is over a half wavelength long, it does a passable job.

K7UXO's comment below is incorrect:
>130 foot is a very good length for Amateur radio

The T2FD is a NON-RESONANT antenna. It actually provides the worst impedance mismatch when it is a half-wavelength long. That's why T2FD's are typically made in lengths like 90 or 180 feet, which are NOT multiples of a half wavelength on any ham band.

130 feet would be a good length for a resonant 80m folded dipole, but that is a totally different antenna.

KK6EY Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2011 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am not sure why I see so many bad reviews for this antenna. It works great for limited space. I have the BWD-90 and operate mostly between 3-5MHz without any issue. I have my antenna setup as an inverted V with One leg pointing E-W and the other pointing N-S. Seems to work pretty well for me. I am located in Central California.

N5IKG Rating: 3/5 Jan 22, 2011 18:18 Send this review to a friend
bwds-65  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hard to tell which antenna some folks are talking about. Anyway my space and height is limited. The 65 footer just fits. Its low because of the view of the rio grande my neighbors enjoy. It is oriented east west so I can hit a Pactor station in California OK on 80 and 40 but the state wide NM net (South of here) is a problem but it gets me on 80 and 40. For DX I can use the Steppir Vertical which is another story. I hoped the configuration would get me NVIS capabilities but again who knows. Its stayed up in the wind for two years now .I use an LDG tuner with it.

N2GBT Rating: 3/5 Oct 12, 2010 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Better options exist  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just because it presents a match doesnt mean it's an efficient radiator of RF energy.
Remember- ONLY two things happen with an antenna and transmitter
1- RF energy is radiated
2- RF energy is dissapated as heat
This antenna will do both :)

In 25+ years as a ham- I am a firm believer re: wire antennas:
put up the longest and highest dipole you can erect
feed it with 450 ohm ladder line and use a good balanced tuner
You will have an efficient antenna with high efficiency- all things considered.
Everything else is just reinventing the wheel.

As someone mentioned- its best performance is wavelength related- and efficiency falls as <1/2 wavelength increases

I owned the s/s version. Save your money and get some wire and ladderline and a good tuner.

K7UXO Rating: 3/5 Oct 12, 2010 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Is okay for what it is intended to be  Time owned: more than 12 months
B&W advertises the antenna improperly. I think this is one reason why so many people have had a bad experience. When the antenna is used at frequencies it is shorter than 1/2 wavelength it becomes very inefficient. In reality, the 90 foot version should only be used to 5 MHz - yet many people try to use the 90 or even 60 foot version on 75/80 meters.

The other problem is the antenna isn't really optimized for the ham bands. Because at some frequencies the current at the resistor will be minimized. The 90 foot or 180 foot designs were not are not optimized for ham bands.

T2FD or T3FD antenna are good antennas for their purpose - all HF frequency antenna system. There are no moving parts or electronics. Maintenance should be minimal. Typically a two wire T2FD like the B&W is around 4 db below a dipole on the same frequency, although this can be better or worse than 4db depending on frequency. This is not a bad trade off, considering other ways to achieve all band, all frequency operation and associated losses in tuners, feed lines, etc. Sometimes the terminated approach will get you more power radiated because of undocumented power losses in antenna tuners and un-tuned feed-lines. You use a T2FD (or T3FD) when fast frequency agility is required.

The length can be modified - 130 foot is a very good length for Amateur radio. You take a 90 or 60 footer and add wire.

The B&W branded antenna rates a 3 for the following reasons:

Poor construction. Transformer casing will break if antenna is put up under tension. Heavier plastic material should be used in the transformer casing.

Internal Transformer build is crude.

Price is high compared to what can be had in same antenna by competition. Better build, etc.

Poor advertising creating unrealistic expectations with customers, particularly in regard to frequency range.

Look for Array Solutions for high quality terminated T2FD and T3FD antennas.

N1KDO Rating: 3/5 Oct 12, 2010 05:47 Send this review to a friend
It worked.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a compromise antenna. You put it up, and it works, sort of. The advantage of the design is that it is a no tune 1.8-30 MHz antenna.

On some parts of the spectrum, it radiates pretty well. On other parts, the terminating resistor and your coax swamp out what would otherwise show up as high SWR to your transmitter. It does not work as well as a resonant wire antenna, or even a simple 135' doublet. On the other hand, no tuner is required.

Take a look at the Wikipedia article about T2FD, or look at L.B. Cebik's article, you can decide if this antenna is right for you.

I took mine down.

N0XE Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2010 19:20 Send this review to a friend
worked for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have to agree with K3EY. I have had a couple of these over the years and your location , bands you use them on and how you mount them has a lot to say on how well they can work. Also the type of communication desired, for NVIS I found them to be excellent and much better then my vertical. I used a set of Drake Twins for over a year with my last one and it played pretty well on 80, 40 and 20, never used it much on the other bands, my experience has been the antenna was ok at my location and I actually found it to be a very quiet receiving antenna, much quieter then my Butternut vertical. It looks like one of those antennas that works fine for some and not so great for others. I see the same thing with a lot of antennas so the up and down reviews really do not surprise me. 73 Jim N0XE

K6RF Rating: 0/5 Oct 11, 2010 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Don't waste your money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I stumbled across the review of this antenna while surfing eham.net.
Quite a number of years ago I had one of these and all I can add to the review is was the worse antenna I have ever own. Installed at 45 ft inv vee fashion I constantly got very poor reports. Quiet yes, but with a big resistor in the system what antenna wouldn't be. Perhaps I got a lemon as some of the reviews seem favorable that I see. Broadbanded yes, a performer for me NO. They were much cheaper when I had one but sure was a dissapointment considering B&W image of the old days for quality gear. Take your risk if you must but I say save your money on this one. It has been gone for a long time so my money wounds have healed. Hope yours do also.

N0YG Rating: 0/5 Oct 11, 2010 15:43 Send this review to a friend
TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY, PURE JUNK!!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I posted here about 2 years ago about this JUNK ANTENNA but It seems to have been deleted. We bought this antenna for the elementary school 4th grade class because we were given permission to start a ham class in school. I called B&W, told them we need a TUNED ANTENNA for the school and how we were going to install it, they said no problem , folded dipole is a good one. WRONG !! We tried to work with them, checked SWR, checked coax etc etc. This was a new install everything was new including the Radio. After 4-5 weeks of B&W telling me the problem was my fault, the school decided to take it down. I lost track of it now, so I cut a 20 meter dipole and installed it. All works fine on 20 meters. The other ham posting that he don't care what other are saying, must have been lucky and received a good antenna because we certainly have very different experiences with the same antenna as have others who have posted here. WE CAN"T ALL BE WRONG !!!!!

K3EY Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2010 12:31 Send this review to a friend
This antenna works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned two of these antennas both at different locations. The first one I had up for over ten years and the second a couple years until I replaced it with a Inverted Vee, which is still up.

I don't care what you're reading in the reviews, they work--BUT---to qualify I must say I used both of mine on CW only. I worked the entire planet with this antenna running 100 watts CW.

The first one was destroyed when I got the stupid idea of using a legal limit amplifier on it. I fried the balun in one nano second. The cost of the balun makes repairing this antenna beyond economical repair.

The reviews on this antenna are to be read with a opened mind without swallowing hook line and sinker. For those of you that remember-- The Mini Beam-- with itís strange design, it too received bad reviews and like this B&W I worked the world with it too and then sold it to the next guy.

If space is a premium this antenna will get you on the air and you will be able to work all bands. In most cases---depending on how and where you installed this antenna and at what height, a tuner is not necessary-- but if a tuner is needed, one of the newer radios that have a 3:1 tuner built in will work just fine.

I have a shoe box full of QSL cards from all over the planet using this antenna. So now you have a review from a user of more than one decade of use with this B&W Folded Dipole. It does indeed work, but never claimed to be a Mono Bander Full Wave Length Beam at 100 feet.

The military has been using this antenna for decades, enough said.

73 Curt/k3ey