Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | B&W Broadband Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for B&W Broadband Dipole
B&W Broadband Dipole Reviews: 24 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $279.95
Description: Broadband Folded Dipoles
More info: http://www.bwantennas.com/

You can write your own review of the B&W Broadband Dipole.

N0XE Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2010 19:20 Send this review to a friend
worked for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have to agree with K3EY. I have had a couple of these over the years and your location , bands you use them on and how you mount them has a lot to say on how well they can work. Also the type of communication desired, for NVIS I found them to be excellent and much better then my vertical. I used a set of Drake Twins for over a year with my last one and it played pretty well on 80, 40 and 20, never used it much on the other bands, my experience has been the antenna was ok at my location and I actually found it to be a very quiet receiving antenna, much quieter then my Butternut vertical. It looks like one of those antennas that works fine for some and not so great for others. I see the same thing with a lot of antennas so the up and down reviews really do not surprise me. 73 Jim N0XE

K6RF Rating: 0/5 Oct 11, 2010 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Don't waste your money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I stumbled across the review of this antenna while surfing eham.net.
Quite a number of years ago I had one of these and all I can add to the review is was the worse antenna I have ever own. Installed at 45 ft inv vee fashion I constantly got very poor reports. Quiet yes, but with a big resistor in the system what antenna wouldn't be. Perhaps I got a lemon as some of the reviews seem favorable that I see. Broadbanded yes, a performer for me NO. They were much cheaper when I had one but sure was a dissapointment considering B&W image of the old days for quality gear. Take your risk if you must but I say save your money on this one. It has been gone for a long time so my money wounds have healed. Hope yours do also.

N0YG Rating: 0/5 Oct 11, 2010 15:43 Send this review to a friend
TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY, PURE JUNK!!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I posted here about 2 years ago about this JUNK ANTENNA but It seems to have been deleted. We bought this antenna for the elementary school 4th grade class because we were given permission to start a ham class in school. I called B&W, told them we need a TUNED ANTENNA for the school and how we were going to install it, they said no problem , folded dipole is a good one. WRONG !! We tried to work with them, checked SWR, checked coax etc etc. This was a new install everything was new including the Radio. After 4-5 weeks of B&W telling me the problem was my fault, the school decided to take it down. I lost track of it now, so I cut a 20 meter dipole and installed it. All works fine on 20 meters. The other ham posting that he don't care what other are saying, must have been lucky and received a good antenna because we certainly have very different experiences with the same antenna as have others who have posted here. WE CAN"T ALL BE WRONG !!!!!

K3EY Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2010 12:31 Send this review to a friend
This antenna works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned two of these antennas both at different locations. The first one I had up for over ten years and the second a couple years until I replaced it with a Inverted Vee, which is still up.

I don't care what you're reading in the reviews, they work--BUT---to qualify I must say I used both of mine on CW only. I worked the entire planet with this antenna running 100 watts CW.

The first one was destroyed when I got the stupid idea of using a legal limit amplifier on it. I fried the balun in one nano second. The cost of the balun makes repairing this antenna beyond economical repair.

The reviews on this antenna are to be read with a opened mind without swallowing hook line and sinker. For those of you that remember-- The Mini Beam-- with itís strange design, it too received bad reviews and like this B&W I worked the world with it too and then sold it to the next guy.

If space is a premium this antenna will get you on the air and you will be able to work all bands. In most cases---depending on how and where you installed this antenna and at what height, a tuner is not necessary-- but if a tuner is needed, one of the newer radios that have a 3:1 tuner built in will work just fine.

I have a shoe box full of QSL cards from all over the planet using this antenna. So now you have a review from a user of more than one decade of use with this B&W Folded Dipole. It does indeed work, but never claimed to be a Mono Bander Full Wave Length Beam at 100 feet.

The military has been using this antenna for decades, enough said.

73 Curt/k3ey

KD6HUC Rating: 1/5 Oct 11, 2010 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Really?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine at the Livermore California Ham swap in 2000 and used it for about 6-8 months with little success below 20 meters. I paid only twenty dollars for this antenna and the seller told me not to expect much.
It is quiet on receive and I actually used it RX only when my 135 foot centerfed was too noisy.For TX on 40,80,160,it was always at least 2 Sunits below my dipole at nearly the same height suspended at right angles to the B&W. I suspect this antenna was sold to the government with HUGE amplifiers on the same purchase order for a reason. Just another way to milk Uncle Sam for some $$$ My advice to folks is if you can get it for 20 bux then go ahead.

KE5MMT Rating: 0/5 Oct 10, 2010 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Worthless Pile of Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Given to me (used) from an SK's friend.

Mounted at 50' as a sloper from my tower. Noise level makes my HF9V seem silent by comparison. Forget about working DX with this antenna.

Glad this was given to me. If I's spent money on it I'd be mad, very mad.

EBS

KE4EAO Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2006 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Not bad.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend of mine and I were reading the reviews and decided to really give this antenna a workout (BWD-45). On 40, 20 and 17 meters, it out performed the G5RV hands down (at 100 watts). No tuner required and SWR was low. Down around 7.100 and lower the SWR moved up a bit but the tuner fixed that in seconds. We had better recieve and transmit all the way around versus a G5RV at the same height (35'). Now, I know that nothing beats a wire cut for frequency but, for a compromised antenna, it's the golden child most definately. If you have the room on your lot to farm antennas, don't even bother with this antenna. For small space and the need for a compromised antenna, this is the route to go. 73!

W2MSK Rating: 2/5 Jun 17, 2005 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Expensive and Mediocre  Time owned: more than 12 months
A $200 wire antenna that performs marginally. My antenna burned out from 500w SSB or so. Sure, the SWR is low but so is the performance.

VA6SZ Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2004 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad "loop"  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine about 2 years. I have it as a flat-top at 17 meters high. Not really meant as a gain antenna, but I have worked close to 200 countries on mine from 160m thru 10m. It does not work too well on the low bands (too low to the ground), but it is my primary listening antenna on 80m and 160m. The signal to noise ratio on the low bands is this antenna's strong point. I use a 105 foot vertical for transmitting and the B&W for my receiving antenna. So all in all, not a bad choice for a "do-it-all" antenna.

WL7K Rating: 2/5 Apr 12, 2004 00:08 Send this review to a friend
Good dummy load  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It makes a fair emergency antenna with it's broad band capabilities. I got it to use as a 160M ant. in a limited space. It received fair but it was like loading your thumb om xmit.
Antenna was at about 50' and I was feeding with a Icom 746 feeding a IC-2KL 500W amp and a AT500 tuner.