Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | B&W Broadband Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for B&W Broadband Dipole
B&W Broadband Dipole Reviews: 20 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $279.95
Description: Broadband Folded Dipoles
More info: http://www.bwantennas.com/

You can write your own review of the B&W Broadband Dipole.

KD6HUC Rating: 1/5 Oct 11, 2010 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Really?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine at the Livermore California Ham swap in 2000 and used it for about 6-8 months with little success below 20 meters. I paid only twenty dollars for this antenna and the seller told me not to expect much.
It is quiet on receive and I actually used it RX only when my 135 foot centerfed was too noisy.For TX on 40,80,160,it was always at least 2 Sunits below my dipole at nearly the same height suspended at right angles to the B&W. I suspect this antenna was sold to the government with HUGE amplifiers on the same purchase order for a reason. Just another way to milk Uncle Sam for some $$$ My advice to folks is if you can get it for 20 bux then go ahead.

KE5MMT Rating: 0/5 Oct 10, 2010 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Worthless Pile of Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Given to me (used) from an SK's friend.

Mounted at 50' as a sloper from my tower. Noise level makes my HF9V seem silent by comparison. Forget about working DX with this antenna.

Glad this was given to me. If I's spent money on it I'd be mad, very mad.

EBS

KE4EAO Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2006 05:14 Send this review to a friend
Not bad.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend of mine and I were reading the reviews and decided to really give this antenna a workout (BWD-45). On 40, 20 and 17 meters, it out performed the G5RV hands down (at 100 watts). No tuner required and SWR was low. Down around 7.100 and lower the SWR moved up a bit but the tuner fixed that in seconds. We had better recieve and transmit all the way around versus a G5RV at the same height (35'). Now, I know that nothing beats a wire cut for frequency but, for a compromised antenna, it's the golden child most definately. If you have the room on your lot to farm antennas, don't even bother with this antenna. For small space and the need for a compromised antenna, this is the route to go. 73!

W2MSK Rating: 2/5 Jun 17, 2005 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Expensive and Mediocre  Time owned: more than 12 months
A $200 wire antenna that performs marginally. My antenna burned out from 500w SSB or so. Sure, the SWR is low but so is the performance.

VA6SZ Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2004 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad "loop"  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine about 2 years. I have it as a flat-top at 17 meters high. Not really meant as a gain antenna, but I have worked close to 200 countries on mine from 160m thru 10m. It does not work too well on the low bands (too low to the ground), but it is my primary listening antenna on 80m and 160m. The signal to noise ratio on the low bands is this antenna's strong point. I use a 105 foot vertical for transmitting and the B&W for my receiving antenna. So all in all, not a bad choice for a "do-it-all" antenna.

WL7K Rating: 2/5 Apr 12, 2004 00:08 Send this review to a friend
Good dummy load  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It makes a fair emergency antenna with it's broad band capabilities. I got it to use as a 160M ant. in a limited space. It received fair but it was like loading your thumb om xmit.
Antenna was at about 50' and I was feeding with a Icom 746 feeding a IC-2KL 500W amp and a AT500 tuner.

WB9JTK Rating: 4/5 Dec 17, 2001 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Great for what it is  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using the AC3.5-30 version for 8 years. This antenna works quite well on 40 through 10 meters. SWR was high on 10m some places I lived due to surrounding objects. Does not work quite as well as a full size dipole on 80. B U T no tuner needed, one coax, no worries, no coax switch to select antennas. I think it is the perfect field day antenna. I sure recommend this over ANY G5RV for convienience. Have worked all over the planet with it.

WD4NGB Rating: 1/5 Apr 2, 2000 23:00 Send this review to a friend
High priced dummy load  Time owned: unknown months
One of my jobs in my 22 years in the US Army was installing HF antennas systems around
the world. We did use the B&W folded dipoles, but only to give us a fast temp setup with
wide frequency coverage. These antennas are fine for single hop HF, but worthless for DX.
The B&W dipoles are in the area of 2 db above a dummy load for anything other single hop
communications.

W2ATO Rating: 0/5 Apr 2, 2000 15:43 Send this review to a friend
B&W Broadband Dipole ModelsAC-5-30 and BWD-1.8-30  Time owned: unknown months
Been licensed 51 years. I and friends had this antenna. It is very poor excuse for an antenna. Dummy loads have l:l SWR (or close to it) over wide range of frequencies. Compared to the standard dipole it is "out to lunch".

N3SKO Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2000 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent No-tune antenna  Time owned: unknown months
Yes, I know that the guys on the Antenna newsgroups swear that they don't work. We'll ignore
the fact that the military have installed hundreds of them... I have installed five of them here at
my station to support regional HF operations (I operate a regional MARS gateway station).

These antennas are a dream for NVIS operation, mounted low to the ground. Just be careful to
support them in the middle - the balun and terminating resistor are pretty heavy. Mounted in
an Inverted V configuration, they do quite well - I have been using this config for medium-haul
Automatic Link Establishment nets with good results. The Inverted V config also solves the
problem of supporting the balun and resistor.

I am very pleased with this antenna. Is it as good as a full-sized dipole, cut to frequency? No.
But it permits tuner-less operation over a wide frequency range, and offers reasonably good
performance.