Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-F1 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-F1
Alinco DJ-F1 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $200
Description: VHF-FM 2 meter FM Handy-talkie

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-F1.

K3BEQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2012 10:35 Send this review to a friend
HT +++++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up two of these in mint condition at a local hamfest. They looked extremely clean and rugged. I tested them at the fest and was impressed. Good receive volume and great clean transmit audio. Came with 2 extra nicad original (and working) batteries, 1 speaker/mike, dry cell battery case, clip, antenna, case and original box for one of them. The more I look at it, hold it and operate it the more I like it. May sell one but will absolutely hold on to the other. They don't make them like this any more. Absolutely solid construction.

N4QDE Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2011 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was at a Ham Radio club meeting and a ham there had just bought a DJ-F1T and was showing it around.when I asked to see it I got it in my hand and I could tell it was quality made.I played with it enough to know I wanted one myself.so I ordered mine the next day.that was back in 1990.it is great little H.T. never quit on me,always reliable.been thru a number of battery packs but all in all,you just can't beat this keeper!!.

W4ETT Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2010 23:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig for it's age  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my DJ-F1T since 1990 (It has a serial number 00146 and I purchased it at the Orlando Hamfest) and it has never let me down. I've rebuilt both battery packs at least nine times, replaced the charger four, and always patted myself on the back for purchasing the AA disposable battery case (the stock number wore off many years ago, and can't seem to remember it now)... I carried it during Desert Storm and Somalia, and aside from having to blow out the sand from time to time and replacing the antenna five times, it's still going strong. I don't use it as a "daily driver" now, but it is relegated to my emergency "GO' bag since it also receives the VHF AM Aeronautical band , which it a BIG plus since I still play soldier. Many thanks Alinco....if you still made'em, I'd buy a couple new ones!...heavy as hell, compared to the recent cheap Chinese imports like Puxing and the like, but would still be worth be buying if available. I've not even had a Motorola Brick last this long!

VE6XVK Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2010 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Good solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine in Australia around the early 90's. It's the DJ-F1T model and it's traveled the world with me several times over and has never missed a beat. The battery pack has been rebuilt several times. It now has 2200mAh NiMH cells (700mAh NiCd were the originals) and goes all day at full power no trouble at all. The rubber flap protectors covering the mic, spk and power connectors broke off years ago though.

Only recently, the plastic lip at the top-rear that latches onto the battery pack shattered. I easily fashioned a new lip using metal-epoxy and we're off to the races again!

Two small dislikes are:
1) dust easily gets in behind the LCD window.
2) sometimes a row of keypad buttons will not respond until the keypad is delivered a medium-grade technician's tap.

Otherwise it's been a treat to own and I hope to keep it running for years to come.

G7MRV Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2008 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Brick Shed  Time owned: more than 12 months
Built like a brick shed! im on my third of these, not through failures but just sold up then came back, each time this is the first thing ive bought.

Excellent easy to use competent little rig. Feels good to hold.

Also, easy to expand the receive (and tx) and with expanded Rx comes the hidden gem - press the B key and it goes into a real AM airband mode! very handy for those airshow days

needs an addon board for CTCSS but thats cheap and easy to fit, just a little tricky to find these days!

K1HPD Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2008 04:13 Send this review to a friend
nice little radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I aquired one on Ebay for short money and am quite pleased with it. It is a tad smaller then my VX170 a bit heavier and very well built (think tank here folks). The stock antenna actually works better then any other stock antenna I have used. I find it handy to throw in a suitcase tackle box or in the cup holder of my wifes car. It doesn't have a million functions or memories (40) but as a spare radio thats not a big deal. The manual is easy to understand and the programing intuitive making it easy to program on the fly once you figure out the offset settings, which makes up for the small amount of memory channels. It has good audio and a hot reciever. The only downside is that the lettering the buttons and the display are a bit small for these old eyes. Mine came with a drop in charge and a car charger/battery eliminator making it a nice little package.

KC2OZK Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2007 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Great simple ht  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was given this radio by a friend. He had used this one, along with his son having one as well for many years as a mobile with an external amp. The battery packs have been rebuilt with 1200 mah nimh batteries. This unit is rugged, simple to use, and has great audio, and will work all day on a charge. I have dropped it, bounced it, and it works great still. The case is quite sturdy, much more so than my newer dual bander. To be honest, I like the DJ-F1 more than the newer ht I have. I would compare this unit to a RS HTX-202 for basic quality and durability. If I needed another HT, and one of these was available for a reasonable price used, I would probably buy it. I do not need 200 channels where I live so the limitations of the late 90's units in that respect is not a problem. 73's

N9TRZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2007 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Good solid HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
The DJ-F1 was my first ham radio and it's built like a brick, it may have been one of the first mini HT's on the market. I've abused it like no other radio and it still works today 15+ years later. I used it in as a mobile for a couple years connected to the cigar lighter (no filters) and probably didn't turn it off that whole time. It doesn't have a repeater auto off-set which can be a pain and it's small display is rough for us over 50 crowd but after you have it programmed what the heck. Receive audio is great and the TX reports were all good. The only problem I have with it is the pushbuttons, they're a little old and stiff so you may get a function you don't quite expect.