Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar HF1500 Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar HF1500
Palstar HF1500 Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $339.95
Description: high power antenna tuner
More info: http://www.palstar.com

You can write your own review of the Palstar HF1500.

KJ6H Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2001 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice Job Palstar!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like this tuner! It seems very well built and the price is right too. You can pay less for an MFJ but I like what one reviewer said about it (the 989c), "It just burst into flames and melts". I ran my Sb220 at full pwr (about 1200 watts PEP) through this baby during a ragchew and it wasn't even warm! Get one. Be happy.
73 de TOD KJ6H

K2WO Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2001 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Palstar HF-1500 GREAT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been looking at this tuner for quite awhile. At Dayton I stopped by the Palstar booth to check this tuner out. I was very impressed with what I saw, but even more impressed with the conversation that I had with Paul, the owner of Palstar. He took the time to tell mr the history of the tuner(through various Mfg. incarnations). It has been around for 15 years or so. Paul has made the effort to ensure that this ATU is the best on the market at this price point. I decided to take advantage of the special "Dayton" pricing and took one home. I am truly glad that I did. It handles ALL of my wire antennas and easily handles the 1K out from my AL-80B. It is truly a pece of gear that you will be proud to have in your shack. MUCH better than those ATUs originating in Miss. They seve a good purpose, but spnd a few $$ more and get a real piece of fine equipment, you won't be disappointed.

KG7RS Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2001 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very pleased with my recent purchase of the HF1500C. I was looking for a well-built tuner, with an ACCURATE dual-needle wattmeter that would handle my AL-811 now, and maybe a kilowatt (AL-80B or equivalent output) down the road. This product meets my expectations nicely, and looks great on the desk as a bonus! Components are top quality, with a ceramic roller inductor. The SWR bridge is shielded and has a compensation circuit to maintain a reasonable degree of accuracy across its operating range. Even the dial light has a regulator circuit! This tuner is fairly large and rugged looking, but attractive. Fit and finish is excellent and the unit has a quality feel overall. I don't believe one could do better for the price. I have reviewed all the competing products carefully before making the purchasing decision. My close second was the new Ten-Tec unit. I would have purchased this unit on the reputation of the company alone, but the single needle SWR meter the requires the use of a "set knob" to calibrate the meter was out of the question. All others in the price/power range seemed to pale by comparison.
Built in wattmeter accuracy tracks well with my Telewave bench wattmeter. There has been no evidence of arcing or stress, although my maximum power level through the tuner is far less than the manufacturer's stated limit.

Some comments on Palstar as a company:
I have to wonder why this obviously up-and-coming small company doesn't have an advertising presence. At least not that I have seen. They offer an attractive product line, and I have found the customer service to be personal and first rate. They offer a great little general coverage receiver that has received rave reviews on the web. Had it not been for other reviews on Palstar's products here on eham.net, I likely would never have found this great product, and great company. Very pleased.

73, John, KG7RS

AA5CH Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2001 00:59 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Paul at Palstar was apologetic regarding the problem that I had with the new AT1500C, and my unit was repaired and returned to me in seven days. Given that four to six days are required for transit time to and from Palstar, I consider that to be pretty good service.

The tuner is in line and appears to be performing as expected. I am using an off center fed 160 meter doublet for all HF bands through 10 meters. Those of you familiar with such antennas are aware that 30 meters presents the most difficult matching situation. The AT1500C easily tuned the antenna on 30 meters and the settings were very close to those suggested in the manual.

The tuner is a nice addition to the shack and looks much better next to the Kenwood equipment than its glossy black predecessor.

I am reasonably confident that the initial problem with the mechanical turns counter did not occur in shipping and therefore, can't give the unit a clean "5" rating. However, Palstar responded appropriately to the situation and the tuner appears to be performing as expected. My "5" rating here is intended to be averaged with my previous "3" rating for a net "4." It appears that this is a good product made by a good company that had a "bad day." It happens....

CT2HME Rating: 3/5 Apr 30, 2001 17:13 Send this review to a friend
AT1500 Factory Problem  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My AT1500 tuner developed a problem that should also be present on early units.
The roller inductor core is made out of delrin and when you run a bit of power it heats up and the core dilatates. This causes pression on the roller inductor mechanism and turning the roller inductor with the shaft is an *impossible* task.
This problem seems to be corrected on the units selling today, since they placed in a ceramic roller inductor.
I contacted the factory several times about my problem. E-mails were allways answered but it's my own opinion (and I do have the right) that they did not care about my problem.
I got answers like:

- Please explain me your problem again (I got this one several times).

- Keep your power below 500W.

- Your antenna has SWR.

This tuner is rated well over 500W and I saw the problem also with a 50 ohm dummy load.
Finally I lost it and called long distance. The call was taken by Paul (I asked to talk with him) and I explain the situation *once again*. This tuner is still under warranty but they did not consider this to be a factory defect. I was offered a certain amount for the delrin inductor that would be changed to a ceramic inductor. BTW the amount was very very low.
Gee, this is a tuner still under warranty! This is not caused by abuse of any kind. This is a factory problem that should have been solved at no cost by the factory.
I ended up buying a ceramic inductor and I will change it soon. I paid for it.
At the phone Paul was polite but we did not take responsability for this problem.
In my opinion, with the delrin inductor this tuner is in trouble to handle some power for long periods. So, the specifications on the tuner may not apply to real life performance. They didn't in my case.
I still think this is a great product and I do not regret buying it. In any case *I am done doing business with this company* because if I have another problem like this I am on my own.
I do not know if others offer better service but since the help I got from Palstar did not please me at all I am willing to take my chances.
True they are polite and they provide parts.
The problem is that they do not stand behind their products even if they are under warranty.

John, CT2HME

N9OUK Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2001 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Execllent Addition to Shack  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using the Palstar AT1500 tuner for about a year and have found it to be a very reliable piece of equipment. I have experimented with all sorts of wire antennas and have yet to find one this tuner not will tune. Once I have found a good match the antenna seems to radiate well and receive well also. This tuner is rated at 1500 watts PEP. I have an AL-80B and it works very well through this tuner. If you are like me and tend to write down the settings for the band or frequency you are working, you will find this tuner to be very repeatable. I have heard some say the price is a bit steep, but I feel the current price is a bargain with the construction of this tuner. If you are not going to run more than 1500 watts PEP then this tuner bares looking at for the money.

N9OUK Greg

RFBUFF Rating: 4/5 Nov 17, 2000 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Looks great!  Time owned: months
Hello all,

I can attest to the "build quality" Bert's talking about. Both he and his new "toy" are at my QTH now and it is an impressive brute. I'm not so sure about the price tag, $399.99's a bit much I'd say; However, I will agree that if your not going to run over 1500w P.E.P., then this will be the last tuner you'll purchase. I'd given it a '5' had the price not been so steep. 73.

Charles

VE3DMJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2000 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This tuner was highly recommended to me, so I decided to give it a try. Had a small problem with the Roller Inductor shaft slipping, but Paul promptly sent me out a new collar. Since then not a problem and I have used the tuner for around 4 months now and works perfectly.

All controls are smooth operating, and the internal setup is neat and clean. The tuner works as it was designed and I am completely satisfied with it. Great Job Palstar.

AB2GG Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2000 18:01 Send this review to a friend
A fine unit. Great service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading all the reviews about low quality high power tuners out there, I was desperate
for someting inexpensive and reliable. I came across the Palstar ad. and visited their site.
It had plenty of good pictures and information on their units. I sent an e-mail asking for more info and got a letter back from the president of the company. After a phone coversation with him, I decided to give it a shot.
The unit promptly arrived and was incredibly well packed. It has a nice finish that matches
my Ameritron AL80B amp. The unit has a very solid feel with smooth controls. I've used in on 80 and 20M running about 500 watts CW / RTTY and 700 watts SSB. No problems. Tuner settings are completely reproduceable. With little effort 1:1 SWR is easy to obtain .
Hats off to Palstar for building a fine unit!

K1OU Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2000 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Great customer service and slick....  Time owned: unknown months
as a whistle. After having an aggravating situation with another company, not MFJ by the way, I looked around and happened upon this company. The main man was the founder of Vectronics, two owners before MFJ bought the name.
Anyway, I placed the order for the 1500, and it was here in four days, not four weeks, as was the word from the other company. It was boxed VERY VERY well, double boxed tight as a drum, as a matter of fact. Now, before I go on, let me tell state that Paul, the owner, was up front and told me that the cases were not done being painted, as he outsources that as a special process. But, he understood my predicament and sent a temporary case until the finished case arrives. THAT is customer service!!! Relating the performance of the tuner itself, it is outstanding. The knobs don't wiggle like MFJ toys, it matches up nicely, holds a tune without batting a lash, and matches my eighty meter loop on 160 with no problem. In other words, it is very stout electronically, and well engineered mechanically. AND less expensive than MFJ's mostly costly device, or the TEN-TEC 238. To sum up, this is an outstanding piece of equipment well backed up by service, and you are helping American small business. To see for yourself,the website is www.palstarinc.com.