Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-775DSP Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-775DSP
ICOM IC-775DSP Reviews: 93 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $4760.00
Description: 200 Watt HF transceiver with DSP, 10-160 m + WARC.
More info: http://icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-775dsp.asp

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-775DSP.

N9LBW Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2010 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Quality Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only owned this for a short time, but I have gotten excellent audio reoprts and the receive signals are very good. I would rate it as well, if not better than my TEN TEC ORION II ELECRAFT K3, ICOM IC-756PROIII and comparable to my YAESU FT-1000 MP MKV, KENWOOD TS-950SDX and KENWOOD TS-2000LE

N6HPO Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2010 20:56 Send this review to a friend
A Beginners Great Fortune!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'd like to post a review from the beginner's standpoint.

I bought mine almost 3 years ago, just a few months after getting my General. A good friend told me that the rig was owned by a ham in very ill health. The unit was bought new by the owner; mostly used for cw but a little DX chasing occasionally.

When I got to the house and saw the rig, there was a fine coat of dust on it, but nothing else. It was immaculate! The display was flawless. It's only now, three years after the fact that I realize just how fortunate I was that day.

Three years ago, I just wanted to get it home and fire it up. So, I strung my 204' G5RV between two 60' trees and that was all I did. The feedpoint was up at only 22', so the antenna really was not performing up to its potential. The antenna looked like a big "smile" between those trees. Yet, I still made contacts all around the globe!

Six months later, 90 MPH wind gusts took out one of the trees, so I was SOL for almost 18 months, until the tree next to it grew upwards! I took very good care of that 40' tree, hi.

This past week, I finally got the gumption to get the antenna back up. The feedpoint is now up close to 40'. Man what a difference. The rig has really come alive, even in this bad patch of propagation we are experiencing.

This is my first HF rig, so I've got nothing to compare it to. Several filter slots remain to be filled. It has every accessory and function that I never knew I wanted!

I use a Heil GM-4 and a Heil HMM hand mic. The rig is capable of 230 watts out, but I seem to break [modest] pile-ups with no more than 150. It's never been cranked higher.

Frankly, I don't know how much better the rig can get. I bless the day I found it and my friend who brought it to my attention!

I know that I'm going to forget to mention something, but I guess, that's just the amateur in me...

M1BYG Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2010 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I managed to buy an Icom 775DSP in excellent condition approximately 2 weeks ago. After reading the reviews on eham and joining the yahoo user group I can confirm that I made the right choice. My radio is one of the earlier serial number models.

I am using a mono band hexbeam for 20 meters with the radio at present and have found that my linear amplifier has been made redundant since the purchase. 200 watts output is a definate advantage. I am using a Heil IC Pro Set with the 775. This drives the radio perfectly with minimal settings on the drive and mic gain. I have found that the compressor to be excellent and increases talk power more than radio's I have used previously. It definately gives the audio great punch and sounds fairly true in the headset when the monitor is engaged.

The bandwidth on tx is adjustable and with the addition of the tone control you can achieve some pretty fantastic results. I have mine presently set to 400 - 2700 with excellent results.

The receiver is excellent on SSB and the DSP noise reduction works extremely well considering the age of the radio. I have all optional filters fitted which greatly assists under busy band conditions. The receiver has a really great tone unlike some modern full dsp units.

If you are thinking of buying one good luck with finding one, excellent radio.

GB001 Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2009 13:08 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST BAR NONE.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This transceiver has the finest receiver of any radio I've owned. After operating with a Yaesu FT1000MP MK5 , Icom 756 Pro3 & more recentley a Yaesu FT2000 , I can say that the 775 beats them all.

200w pa, dualwatch & superb audio, all add to the excellent qualities. A simple menu system & a REAL s-meter are just some of the excellent features.

No need to spend 5000 on a 7700 when you can spend 1500 or less on a good secondhand model 775 . At least you have the dualwatch facility.

All in all a great buy on the secondhand market.

This radio lives up to its reputation.

HZ1SK Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2009 06:14 Send this review to a friend
A Fantastic Rig !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the IC-775DSP for more than 5 years now and I can say it is one of the Best rigs I have ever owned.Although I bought an IC-756ProIII and which I like very much but the IC-775DSP stands in a class of its own.If you got the chance to buy one, do it..you will not regret your decision.
Best 73,

Samir
OD5SK , HZ1SK , KC5RYL
www.od5sk.com
www.Laselki.net

M0VEY Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2009 01:59 Send this review to a friend
A True Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having now owned the ICOM IC-775DSP for over a yearn now, I thought it was time to do another review.
The receiver is wonderful & I am lucky to have a fully filtered model. If a strong station appears 2kc away, with use of the 2 narrow filters & the Twin PBT , it is like the stations are no longer there.

I've experimented with several microphones. After trying the SM8, SM20, Heil ICM, Heil HMI & Heil Traveller I ended up using a Heil Goldline with the HC5 element. I think I was chasing something with the electret inserts that I didn't have need for. I also tried a Heil PR781 which came a close 2nd to the Goldline. The PR781 did sound great if used with an external EQ. For normal use with no eq, the Goldline/HC5 combo are great.
Audio reports are usually along the lines, " you are so loud & clear" .

After setting the menu up after I purchased the radio, I have not needed to revisit the menu system.

My overall view of this radio is that it is the finest radio I have used so far. I'm sure that the Icom IC-775DSP will be a keeper in my shack for many years to come. If you stumble across one of these radios in good condition & it comes with all option filters, do not hesitate to purchase it.

KG8JF Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2008 05:13 Send this review to a friend
great perf nos  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Though not an owner of a 775DSP, it rates extremely high on the ARRL product review pages. A few years ago I decided to start rating radios more rationally. I tried to learn what third order intercept meant. Finally gave and just took it for granted that the more positive, the better. I did learn what blocking dynamic range meant, as well as imd dynamic range. The 775dsp rated as high as I had seen at that time on these three parameters. It is indeed, a keeper

M0VEY Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2008 01:07 Send this review to a friend
A Real Keeper  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't often do a review on a radio so soon after buying one. I have owned this late 2001 model of the Icom IC-775DSP for just 3 weeks.

I reckon its as good on receive as a 7700 & has dual watch, but no 6m. Still I saved over 3000 on the extra a 7700 would cost & I still got a 200w pa.

I have at least 3 friends who have had a 775 & all 3 wished they never ever sold it. Simple to operate the manual only has 67 pages. 93 buttons etc on front of radio so your not always diving in the menu, which is fairly simple anyway.

Mine has all 5 filters fitted & the Front & rear rack handles. I am using a Heil ICM mic with the 775.

Mine is a keeper, it's quieter on background noise level than my previous radio, a Kenwood TS870 that I have owned for over 5 years.

However RX signals are stronger especially when using pre amp. I had a station splattering me a bit on 80m the other morning. He was 2kc away. I put the filters in & it was like he wasn't there!

Only thing I miss is the DRU3 recording unit of my 870 . If anyone knows of a suitable device that will enable me to transmit an automated cq, please contact me via QRZ.com & drop me an e-mail.

My advice, buy a 775, you never need to look at another radio again. At least not until Icom 7800's go for 2000 secondhand.

Cheers,
Phil. m0vey

TI2TL Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2008 20:16 Send this review to a friend
Very Best I have owned  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is not much I have this radio but I just feel I have to say what I think of it.

The whole 775 adventure started when I begun a search and read that it was considered upon the best radios ever built. After reading many reviews and have talked to friends that owned it I decided that it was time for me to try one.

I have tested a lot of radios before this one listing just the ones I can remember now are the TS-940, TS-950SDX, IC-751A, 761, 765, 781, 756 ProII, Yaesu FT-1000MP, collins HF-380, JRC-245 and many more I just don't remember at the moment.

The 775 DSP (and I have the late version with serial 25##) can be considered upon the best I have the pleasure to have owned.

The receiver is very quiet, obviously don't expect it to be miraculous but it is very good. I belive there is NO miraculous radio that pulls a signal of S2 on an S8 Noise level. There is no such thing, but there are more pleasent receivers and more demanding ones.

I consider a good receiver when I can use it without getting tired from trying to understand the QSO. The 775, and other radios I had, is one of those.

The NR works good but up to a certain level, after witch is is useless, as all the NR I have ever tested.

The Notch function is superb, never had anything better than this one.

The twin PTB works just fine as it should, much like the 781 and much better than the 756 ProII.

On transmit the radio is very good giving out the audio just as you hear it in your monitor, that is a feature I like and that not many radios have. Usually when I hear a recording of my audio it is always a bit diffrent that the audio on my headphones but with the 775 is pretty much the same.

The compressor works very well giving you a much higher average power, while keeping the audio quality good.

The output power, at least on my radio, is of 180W RTTY. Probably it can be turned up a little but I don't consider it neccessay. As for the heating of the rig, well the cooling fins do get hot and the fan is so quiet I sometimes don't know if it works or not.

I will be installing the Inrad Roofing filter soon with all the optional filters. It is a definitive keeper.

K7FD Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2008 06:26 Send this review to a friend
Purchased new in 1995...  Time owned: more than 12 months
...and still rocking and rolling as we approach 2009. Use with a Heil Goldline but have really always received better audio reports with the SM-20 desk mic...

RX is everything you read about here on eHam. One of the best, even with today's competition. Plus, no never-ending software updates to deal with! THAT I like...

Main tuning knob is one of the smoothest I have ever used. I removed the drag control totally off the knob...spins free band edge to band edge with one spin...

Giant analog metering. Great backlit display with easy to see frequency readout...

Built in power supply, zero noise fans. I had to check mine to make sure they were still running!

Excellent AM audio when used for shortwave and BCBDX'ing...

73 John K7FD