Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-775DSP Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-775DSP
ICOM IC-775DSP Reviews: 101 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $4760.00
Description: 200 Watt HF transceiver with DSP, 10-160 m + WARC.
More info: http://icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-775dsp.asp

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-775DSP.

K4EBK Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2012 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Rereview  Time owned: months
Since my last review when I was the proud owner of 2 IC775DSP's, I have sold one. I had some recent medical setbacks, so my XYL, Joyce thought a new (newer) radio would be good therapy. She bought me a pristine IC756proIII, WOW. Using both for 2 months now, sad to say the PROIII is now collecting dust and is only used as a SWL receiver. The receiver on the 775 is as good and the 200 watts out is a big deal. The proIII is good, BUT I'm a dyed in the wool IC775DSP person. Maybe a 7700 in the future, but not til the 775 bites the dust.

KI5SO Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2012 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Surprising older radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, this is the most completer hf rig I've ever owned. It has a quieter receiver than the Icom IC-756pro III and the filters work nicely. I love the analog giant s-meter and all the knobs and buttons. Nice big radio that put out 200 plus watts and gets all the compliments. I traded a 756pro III for this one and was amazed at the mint condition of this one. It's DSP works nicely and is adjusted by turning a knob. I like that. It stumps most radios put out in 2012. This radio gives you power at our fingertips. It's a real winner. I recommend it.

AE6OP Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2011 09:58 Send this review to a friend
IC-775DSP vs Yaesu FT-1000D  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Coming to this radio after having operated two FT-1000D's over the years really puts this transceiver's merits in perspective.

Both the IC-775DSP and the FT-1000D are very similar. They both are 200W radios, both have ATU's, both have dual receive options.

Where they part company, IMO is their receive quality, their fan noise, audio bandwidth, noise blanking, operational layout and overall sound (AF) quality.

While the FT-1000D has better filter selection control and (I would say) as nicer cosmetic presentation, both FT-1000D's that I have owned had to be substantially modified just to even begin to compete with the 775. In both cases, I did the K6JRF mods to widen the B/W. This also involved buying some expensive Inrad filters. Once all that work was done, I still had a rather noisy radio due to the rather loud intermittent fan, barely effective noise blanker and barely got to 2.9KHZ transmit audio. And even then, the transmit carrier point offset was a real challenge to get the audio balanced between upper and lower SSB.

With the 775, all one has to do is switch out the FL-70 for the FL-80 and the radio produces near broadcast quality audio with a nicely eq'ed condenser mic attached. The noise blanker works well, there is no fan noise, the transmit output (on mine out of the box) is 235W vs 200 on the FT-1000D. The receiver on the IC-775 (with the Inrad IC-775 roofing filter installed) is noticeably quieter and IMO dramatically superior to the FT-1000D.

There is also a sense that the Icom is a more dependable radio. It's construction is solid, the feel of the controls is more solid than the FT-1000Ds controls. The sound of the ATU working is quieter and more precise than the sounds of the FT-1000Ds ATU. However, the FT-1000D's ATU is more forgiving than the 775 when attempting a more challenging antenna match.

While most would agree the FT-1000D does look nicer, the IC-775 has an understated elegance, seriousness in its presentation.

I agree with nearly all the positive comments posted here but would add that I wish the IC-775 had come with 6M capability. Hey ho, nothing is perfect.

KJ6GED Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2011 20:40 Send this review to a friend
I will never sell this radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this radio for about 2 years now, there not much else to say that everyone else has said about this radio. It is absolutely rock solid in every aspect. The one thing that Icom should have designed better is the noise blanker. If you can get your hands on one of these radio's, you will not be disappointed. Replace the FL-80 with the FL-70 and get phenomenal broadcast audio.

HI8CJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2011 09:38 Send this review to a friend
SUPERB!  Time owned: more than 12 months
According to my point of view, this rig is 5+++ Totally unsurpassable!

W9VS Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2011 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Super Transceivers  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own two very nice late model IC-775DSP's with serial numbers 2647 and 2751. Both are fully loaded and pleasure to operate. I even sold my IC-756PROII which I might regret later but I don't think I will. I can say that the receiver is very very quiet. Sometimes I have to look at the display to make sure it is turned on. It's the best transceiver Icom ever made.If you can find one buy it. You won't be sorry.
I did the audio mod on one of them that was done by Hans PA1HR. It really made a big difference on both TX and RX. Glad I bought them.

EA5HEM Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2010 13:49 Send this review to a friend
The best radio of all time  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I can say that have not already said. Fantastic, fabulous, incredible, the better. The ultimate radio with one ear impressive, the receiver is the best but also the 200W and the amber. Everyone should have one to be happy.
Greetings and good DX

W8IDL Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2010 15:56 Send this review to a friend
PERFECTION !  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Icom IC-775 DSP (and the IC-775DXII version) is, IMO, the perfect radio. I have both the DSP and DXII versions (they are the same except for the display), and they are just a joy to operate! I have owned *everything* over the past 30 years, even selling my IC-7800 because i never seemed to use it.

I notice every single review of this radio is a "5" except for one that is a "zero" - so I checked it out. His complaint was transient RF on transmit and a glitch on close-in and split CW work. I tested both of my 775s (serial numbers over 1800) and was unable to duplicate any of the problems listed in his review. Yes, I have access to a fully equipped radio laboratory and an education to know how to use it. I would go with the 9+ pages of "5" ratings and throw his "0" out. This radio is absolutely, positively a 5.0 out of 5.0.

I have installed the InRad roofing filter option on both radios, and while it probably is not noticeable for general use, there is a measurable improvement.

If you buy one of these radios, you'll probably own it for a very long time... I fully agree with all of the literally glowing reviews!

N9LBW Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2010 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Quality Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only owned this for a short time, but I have gotten excellent audio reoprts and the receive signals are very good. I would rate it as well, if not better than my TEN TEC ORION II ELECRAFT K3, ICOM IC-756PROIII and comparable to my YAESU FT-1000 MP MKV, KENWOOD TS-950SDX and KENWOOD TS-2000LE

N6HPO Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2010 20:56 Send this review to a friend
A Beginners Great Fortune!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'd like to post a review from the beginner's standpoint.

I bought mine almost 3 years ago, just a few months after getting my General. A good friend told me that the rig was owned by a ham in very ill health. The unit was bought new by the owner; mostly used for cw but a little DX chasing occasionally.

When I got to the house and saw the rig, there was a fine coat of dust on it, but nothing else. It was immaculate! The display was flawless. It's only now, three years after the fact that I realize just how fortunate I was that day.

Three years ago, I just wanted to get it home and fire it up. So, I strung my 204' G5RV between two 60' trees and that was all I did. The feedpoint was up at only 22', so the antenna really was not performing up to its potential. The antenna looked like a big "smile" between those trees. Yet, I still made contacts all around the globe!

Six months later, 90 MPH wind gusts took out one of the trees, so I was SOL for almost 18 months, until the tree next to it grew upwards! I took very good care of that 40' tree, hi.

This past week, I finally got the gumption to get the antenna back up. The feedpoint is now up close to 40'. Man what a difference. The rig has really come alive, even in this bad patch of propagation we are experiencing.

This is my first HF rig, so I've got nothing to compare it to. Several filter slots remain to be filled. It has every accessory and function that I never knew I wanted!

I use a Heil GM-4 and a Heil HMM hand mic. The rig is capable of 230 watts out, but I seem to break [modest] pile-ups with no more than 150. It's never been cranked higher.

Frankly, I don't know how much better the rig can get. I bless the day I found it and my friend who brought it to my attention!

I know that I'm going to forget to mention something, but I guess, that's just the amateur in me...